Driverless race cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driverless race cars

This will never catch on with spectators as it takes the human competition out of racing but the technology will find it's way into racing and real world cars. We already have a lot of driver aids and self driving cars but this takes it to another level.

A racecar with nobody at the wheel snaked around another to snatch the lead on an oval track at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas Friday in an unprecedented high-speed match between self-driving vehicles.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Some f1 boss of yore said they could go driverless in the 70
    But without the false dramas and human frailty it would be boring
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

An auto race without drivers isn't a race, No drivers in cars, no spectators, its just a full size computer video game without controllers..
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
        An auto race without drivers isn't a race, No drivers in cars, no spectators, its just a full size computer video game without controllers..
        Next youll be saying an SAE oil flow test isnt a race/.................
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
          it would be a race between AI programmers but the trash talk wouldn't be up to the level of F1 racers.

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
            it would be a race between AI programmers but the trash talk wouldn't be up to the level of F1 racers.
            It would be at least at that level, but not many people would get it.

"You wouldn't know a Bayesian causal inference tree if it bit you in the ass!!"

'20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
              It would be at least at that level, but not many people would get it.

"You wouldn't know a Bayesian causal inference tree if it bit you in the ass!!"

Teams could hire professional trash talkers for the cameras?
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Really enjoy Nascar though for the past few yrs. they keep changing rules & doing things to make it less interesting. Never been big on F1, Indy car, or any open wheel racing but do watch sometimes if nothing else worth watching on TV. I can't say for sure without seeing a driverless race, but just trying to imagine it, it looks like it will be about as bad as the I-racing thing they tried, where the Cup drivers were racing against each other on a video game, & putting it on TV or covering Bristol Motor Speedway with dirt & trying to race the Cup cars in the mud...For me, none of the above deserves having a thread wasted on them but luck to them anyway.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

They made a left turn. Looks like they'll be coming up on another....left turn. Yep, they made another left turn. What'll they do next? lol
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I can't argue with you earl, I felt the exact same wat till I was bribed into going to my first in 1984, The Cracker Barrell 420 @ The Fairgrounds Speedway in Nashville. The last Cup race they ever raced at that track. Been a devoted fan ever since that night...I could never have imagined those left hand turns could be sooo exciting...Go figure.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

"F1-Drive to Survive" on Netflix was surprising enjoyable to watch, the drama within teams, between owners and sponsors, between drivers and teams.

Comment

The manufacturers must like the idea of no drivers.
                        In F1 not much need for them anymore. We rarely see them anyway.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

yeah do ya all recall that race when Schumacher took a guy out cos he knew he couldnt win
                          the guy was a dick
                          F1 is scripted BS has been for years lately its a soap opera.
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                            yeah do ya all recall that race when Schumacher took a guy out cos he knew he couldnt win
                            the guy was a dick
                            F1 is scripted BS has been for years lately its a soap opera.
                            Yes I remember, the final race in Spain 1997. He sandbagged around the track waiting for Villeneuve to come up. Villeneuve was leading and poised to take the championship if he won this final race.
                            Schumacher rammed his car as he passed by. Like a cheap shot in a bad hockey game.
                            I think that was about it for me, lost respect for F1 that day. Schumacher was disqualified from the 1997 championship a few weeks later.
                            Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 01-12-2022, 07:24 PM.
                            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I used to race slot cars (before I was old enough to race Camaros). Maybe computers will be the spectators, but you know some of those computers are only watching to see another computer get hurt in a crash.
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                              X