Driverless race cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Yes I remember, the final race in Spain 1997. He sandbagged around the track waiting for Villeneuve to come up. Villeneuve was leading and poised to take the championship if he won this final race.
    Schumacher rammed his car as he passed by. Like a cheap shot in a bad hockey game.
    I think that was about it for me, lost respect for F1 that day. Schumacher was disqualified from the 1997 championship a few weeks later.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_E...after_the_race
    That wasn't the only race he did that in. Approx 96 or so, Shumi punted Hill off the track to stop Hill winning.
    Dirty pool, dirty driver, dirty swine.
    Hated his guts ever since that display of Teutonic ruthlessness.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      I used to race slot cars (before I was old enough to race Camaros). Maybe computers will be the spectators, but you know some of those computers are only watching to see another computer get hurt in a crash.
      They're just waiting for the smell of computer blood and flying electrons.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Same theme but different. This is a picture I took back in 2017 at the Army Aviation Museum located at Fort Rucker, Alabama during a reunion of guys from my old Vietnam unit, the 220th Aviation Company. In the background is an 01, the plane flown over the DMZ by one of us pilots located in the cockpit. In the foreground are examples of the craft that replaced us--drones that are flown over combat zones by an operator located in a bunker in New Mexico.

Yeah, it makes plenty good sense--cheaper to maintain, cheaper to operate, and of course a whole lot safer. But damn did I feel obsolete. I wonder if a few years from now a senior Valentino Rossi will be visiting a Moto-GP museum and have a similar experience.

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
        80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
          They made a left turn. Looks like they'll be coming up on another....left turn. Yep, they made another left turn. What'll they do next? lol
          NASCAR could probably go driverless before any other type of racing.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
            Same theme but different. This is a picture I took back in 2017 at the Army Aviation Museum located at Fort Rucker, Alabama during a reunion of guys from my old Vietnam unit, the 220th Aviation Company. In the background is an 01, the plane flown over the DMZ by one of us pilots located in the cockpit. In the foreground are examples of the craft that replaced us--drones that are flown over combat zones by an operator located in a bunker in New Mexico.

Yeah, it makes plenty good sense--cheaper to maintain, cheaper to operate, and of course a whole lot safer. But damn did I feel obsolete. I wonder if a few years from now a senior Valentino Rossi will be visiting a Moto-GP museum and have a similar experience.

With all the technology available is there any real need for manned fighter planes. AI robotics have come so far I doubt a manned plane could out perform a drone built for that purpose.
            1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

By matter of course the next thing will be to replace people.
              Two ways to see it in movie fiction.
              In a positive way: The Creation of the Humanoids, (1962)
              In a negative way: The Terminator (1984)
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                  With all the technology available is there any real need for manned fighter planes. AI robotics have come so far I doubt a manned plane could out perform a drone built for that purpose.
                  I say it would depend upon the mission--speaking generally for combat aircraft, not just fighter planes. I think that for the foreseeable future most military aircraft will with extensive electronic assistance continue to be flown by humans; those humans just won't be on board.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I say it would depend upon the mission--speaking generally for combat aircraft, not just fighter planes. I think that for the foreseeable future most military aircraft will with extensive electronic assistance continue to be flown by humans; those humans just won't be on board.
                    CNN did a short piece about 15 yrs ago about the use of drones. It ended with the very young pilot leaving work and melting into the people on a busy street in Las Vegas. coolest thing I ever did see. Anther thing that was interesting the crew was filming the pilot in a real time mission flying in the middle east. A missile or something came close and the pilot flinched slightly away from the direction of the potential impact. Virtual reality blurred lines for sure.
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

sure I didn't mean to imply that it'll be left up to an AI to make a kill decision but once that decision has been made the AI drone without the burden of frail human cargo will out fly and out kill any human. My guess is the next generation of fighter planes will be drones.

Comment

Driverless races....might as well watch drone racing ???

Comment

I would think that driverless race cars could run the risk of spectatorless races.

Nature bats last.

Comment

I would think that driverless race cars could run the risk of spectatorless races.
                            not sure about that, certainly our generation would lose interest but there's an entire new generation that watches video game competitions and robotic contests without actually taking part. Hard to predict where this will be in 50 yrs time...electric driver-less F1???

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                              "F1-Drive to Survive" on Netflix was surprising enjoyable to watch, the drama within teams, between owners and sponsors, between drivers and teams.
                              Yes it was very good.
                              I think my wife enjoyed it even more than I did. You don't need to know anything about racing, or Formula 1, to get it.
                              And it really helped getting to know the drivers, and their teams. Makes watching the racing even better.

We used to watch NASCAR, but they got silly. I think Indy car is still fairly pure racing, and F1 is just a technical delight.
                              A 1600 lb car, with 1000 HP 1.6 liter, hybrid motor....Dear me...what fun...
                              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                                Yes it was very good.
                                I think my wife enjoyed it even more than I did. You don't need to know anything about racing, or Formula 1, to get it.
                                And it really helped getting to know the drivers, and their teams. Makes watching the racing even better.

We used to watch NASCAR, but they got silly. I think Indy car is still fairly pure racing, and F1 is just a technical delight.
                                A 1600 lb car, with 1000 HP 1.6 liter, hybrid motor....Dear me...what fun...

OMG! I can't help but think, put that in a motorcycle! lol Or, in a Miata. hehe
                                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                                X