Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long time listener, first time caller

Or something like that.

I bought my first GS in 1984; a GS550ES. I was 19. I loved that bike and rode the hell out of it until electrical gremlins took up residence and then it was dead to me... but I never forgot. Had several GSXRs, a couple of Kawi Zs, and a wonderful Triumph over the years since then and last February, I picked up my original dream bike, an '83 GS750ES (GSX750ES outside of the US). It was the bike I wanted as a teen but couldn't afford. They were rare in my area and there was only one in town. It was white and red and the guy who rode it was older than me and an arrogant jerk. I thought it was the coolest thing ever and I wanted to be that guy. I used to go to the local shop and sit on the 750 they had, and pretend, until I was able to buy the 550 a year later.

So, I ran across an '83 last year. It was rough but ran decently and the price was right. I wanted it. It looked like it had spent most of it's life outdoors but after I spent a few months of the lock down polishing, painting, re-plating and replacing parts, I ended up with a very pretty bike that gets the question, "Is that new?" from the uninitiated and wistful looks from my biker friends whenever I show up on it. When I sit on it, I'm that wide-eyed teen again. I love it. It's not perfect, far from it, which is why I'm here but hopefully it will be one day.
    Last edited by MickyG; 01-12-2022, 09:17 AM.

Welcome from a fellow country man.

Now you should really post some pictures
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Yeah you can't come here and ramble on about how awesome your bike is without proof.

Welcome!
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
        Yeah you can't come here and ramble on about how awesome your bike is without proof.

Welcome!
        Haha! Fair enough.
        Soon.

Comment

Welcome MickyG!

Your story sounds very much heart felt. Giving us a brief glimpse of years past with motorcycles.

I had a 2000 Gixxer 750 as a first bike…doh! Not the best starter bike.

After I sold it, I had the itch for a less expensive single purchase bike and saw that the GS predated the Gixxer so I wanted one…a 750 of course.

I read my “T” has some lines from a vintage Triumph so I went with that!

For you to get your hands on a 750 after all these years is awesome!

Please do post pics as promised. We are holding you accountable for that! Lol

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

holy hell thinking back I have spent 600 80s dollars on reg rects
            bloody hell the bike cost me 3200??
            a surprise suzuki was able to survive that really.

OP show us a pic of you bike
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
              holy hell thinking back I have spent 600 80s dollars on reg rects
              bloody hell the bike cost me 3200??
              a surprise suzuki was able to survive that really.

OP show us a pic of you bike
              Suzuki electrics are known to be frail.

I did not buy my first GS until 1998, (82 GS1100G) after I found this site ( a bulletin board at the time) and read about the bikes..

The GS1100G immediately needed both RR and stator. I later found a good harness and rewired the entire bike.

Electrex was a GSR sponsor then, so i bought the RR from them and had the stator rewound by a company in Orangeville.

Never had a problem with either of them after that.

A few years later I bought an 84 GS!!00GK and rode it to Nova Scotia. While there I was stopped at a collision site and the system overheated and died. I disconnected the R/R completely and rode it to where I was staying, (about 20 miles) on the battery.
              A local bike shop sold me a new stator and directed me to a wrecker that had a Honda r/r which needed soldering to fit.

The friend to whom I sold the GK died last year of cancer, but he rode it until he had to quit, and those parts were still working.
              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by MickyG View Post
                .,...... . . . . .
                Welcome MickyG. THanks for the introduction.You have pictures anywhere??

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                X