Your mental health during a pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your mental health during a pandemic

We have not talked much about this subject here...I thought it might be helpful to hear how you are dealing mentally during the pandemic.

It's been a tough 22 months...personally since the pandemic started, my wife was hospitalized for 8 days with a blood infection that attacked her heart...and a couple of weeks after getting out I had my motorcycle accident that landed me in the hospital for 11 days....then my dad got sick and died a few months later...I was not allowed to fly home for his funeral.
    Then this past August our dog was diagnosed with bladder cancer and given 4-6 months to live.
    Sounds like a good country song in the making...lol.
    For me doing pysio from my accident has actually been a blessing...it has given me a purpose and a reason to get out of the house daily. Routine has been a must for me...

Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts on the matter...cheers
    This article on CBC prompted me to post.

Omicron emerged at the end of November, causing already fragile morales to shatter. Nearly two years after the pandemic was declared, people have moved from, "How will I get through this?" to "When is this pandemic ever going end?"

Omicron's arrival has left many feeling hopeless. Mental health experts offer advice to help people cope

"The greater you rate your level of self-control," he said, "the less you report the level of stress and anxiety in your life.
    No signature

I live a hermit like existence but it finally started hitting me last summer.
    It must be hell on social butterflies.
    This time of year is hard in Canada but its beginning to feel like everyone has disappeared.

I've taken to sanding the poly finish off an old guitar for amusement. That and staring into the TV screen like Pink in The Wall.
    BTW poly guitar coats are crazy thick I reckon 2 plus mm. Totally cost ineffective pursuit. Sisyphus would be jealous.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I don't need to see anyone but my immediate family, I have extremely smart professional daughters that challenge me mentally. I don't need to go out to eat the mrs is an amazing cook. I don't need to go to theatres I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Apple tv. Any sports events I enjoy I can follow on tv or my smart phone. News of the world all accessed through my phone or laptop. Socially I'm fine. Riding my bikes 99.9% of the time is done solo and I'm good with that too. I have more distractions and interests then I had 40 yrs ago, many times more and I don't even need to leave the home.

My only mental worry that I struggle with is the mrs battle with cancer. I'm used to confronting physical threats head on but with cancer I'm absolutely helpless and struggle trying to cope, there's absolutely nothing I can do but be there by her side holding her hand and giving her a hug when she needs it. Covid is just an annoying nuisance in comparison to cancer, seeing people going mask-less while she's in chemo or refusing to vaccinate for a virus that can easily kill her makes me very very angry.
      1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

I's a little off before & still a little off...Thank goodness I guess it didn't affect me much
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
          I's a little off before & still a little off...Thank goodness I guess it didn't affect me much
          That pretty much says it for me also. Hang in there, wyly.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I would answer but I’m sure I’d be told how much of a moron I am for feeling that way then ignored when I try to reach out to speak more on it.

More or less the way things have already gone
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

We've been lucky: I've always stayed busy in the shop restoring stuff, nothing like working with your hands to give yourself therapy. It is a bit crappy not visiting friends like I used to although my wife doesn't have a problem with it. I am having a problem focusing on Netflix and Youtube though, I think I've watched about as much TV as I want to lately. The worst thing that bugs me is knowing things will never be as relaxed as they used to be, nothing ever goes back to "normal" after a deal like this.
              1986 1150EF
              2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Other than dealing with the various always changing mask/no mask/ social distancing guidelines, my day to day life has not been greatly impacted. My wife has COPD so we were already careful about being in crowds, don't go out to eat a lot. I have always done most of my local riding solo so that has not changed a lot. I have lost two friends and a co worker to Covid, one of my riding buddies was just released from the Hospital last week from a month long bout with Covid double pneumonia and another co worker is on a vent right now. Work never missed a shift through it all. I have little patience for those who say it is not real or a serious problem but when it comes to personal choices I have always been in the "You do you and I will do me camp."
                sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Like Scott, beyond the day to day mask/no mask adjustments, not much disruption for us.

Wife, being a nurse, only missed a week or two early on, and ended up getting a new job that is much better.
                  Being a natural loner and introvert, the lock down was mostly easy for me. In early 2020, we had a 8 month old puppy, a new sports car needing upgrades, and East TN roads were still there.

I huge benefit was shaking out my hobbies/activities.

Two years after this all started, I realize I didn't miss some activities at all. I have a much better understanding of what I want to do with my time, what's important to me. Motorbikes, photography, model railroading, and the 124 Spider are on top. Everything else? Meh....

The one thing I truly missed, by the spring of 2021, was lunch with the regulars. 2-3 times a week I stopped in for lunch at a local place, ended up making friends, getting to know some locals. Started going back last spring, and it is the one thing I realize I do need.
                  Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                    I don't need to see anyone but my immediate family, I have extremely smart professional daughters that challenge me mentally. I don't need to go out to eat the mrs is an amazing cook. I don't need to go to theatres I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Apple tv. Any sports events I enjoy I can follow on tv or my smart phone. News of the world all accessed through my phone or laptop. Socially I'm fine. Riding my bikes 99.9% of the time is done solo and I'm good with that too. I have more distractions and interests then I had 40 yrs ago, many times more and I don't even need to leave the home.

My only mental worry that I struggle with is the mrs battle with cancer. I'm used to confronting physical threats head on but with cancer I'm absolutely helpless and struggle trying to cope, there's absolutely nothing I can do but be there by her side holding her hand and giving her a hug when she needs it. Covid is just an annoying nuisance in comparison to cancer, seeing people going mask-less while she's in chemo or refusing to vaccinate for a virus that can easily kill her makes me very very angry.
                    This is a bit off the wall, however, you might look into vitamin B-17 for her.

I have neither personal knowledge nor experience with it, but have been told by some that it worked for them.

Ask your doctor(s) about it.
                    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Fear seems to be the driving force behind this new normal for many and it's not healthy.

The biggest downside for me is the non existant family gatherings. My wife and I always hosted the major holidays etc. Those I miss and really nothing in the works to reinstate them at this time.

Aside from that it's just rolling with the punches for me. I had a bit of a health issue that is documented in a thread titled : " Listen to your Body ", that was about a year and a half ago...all is well!

As far as keeping busy....never an issue! Business is great and actually found time to start another business, as well as get involved in a couple additonal dealings.

I do miss the frequent outings to restaurants etc. I don't do that much and it is probably a 50/50 decision based on Covid protocols and sticking to a better diet.

I have skipped some vacations, but I do have other ways to deal with that. It's different for sure, but certainly able to keep the mind relatively healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                        Fear seems to be the driving force behind this new normal for many and it's not healthy.

The biggest downside for me is the non existant family gatherings. My wife and I always hosted the major holidays etc. Those I miss and really nothing in the works to reinstate them at this time.

Aside from that it's just rolling with the punches for me. I had a bit of a health issue that is documented in a thread titled : " Listen to your Body ", that was about a year and a half ago...all is well!

As far as keeping busy....never an issue! Business is great and actually found time to start another business, as well as get involved in a couple additonal dealings.

I do miss the frequent outings to restaurants etc. I don't do that much and it is probably a 50/50 decision based on Covid protocols and sticking to a better diet.

I have skipped some vacations, but I do have other ways to deal with that. It's different for sure, but certainly able to keep the mind relatively healthy.
                        That was definitely an accurate assessment.

Fear, and how it degrades people, is being seen almost anywhere you go.
                        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

If'n you're inclined to sit around and chew on something you should probably try this link: https://archive.org/details/then-cam...omplete-series
                          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                            If'n you're inclined to sit around and chew on something you should probably try this link: https://archive.org/details/then-cam...omplete-series
                            Haha! Fantastic link LAB. Thanks for droppin that.
                            Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
                            1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Hey Trevor, did you receive my PM? Last thing I want to do is call you out in public, but I never heard back from you

Like for so many, the last two years have been an up and down experience. The isolation has been really tough but I suppose I'm used to it by now. I do miss getting together with friends though. But, on the plus side I'm pretty sure being stuck with my family for this long has improved my relationship with them, so there's that! But what's helped me a lot is exercise, moving my body, etc. I got really into trail running last summer, then stopped being active once the weather turned, but I just went on a run today for the first time in a few months. Being physically active really helps me stay positive and keep my mind on track. I've been in school as well so focusing on that has been helpful.
                              Last edited by RustyTank; 01-13-2022, 06:34 PM.
                              Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
                              1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Working...
                              X