Your mental health during a pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
    Hey Trevor, did you receive my PM? Last thing I want to do is call you out in public, but I never heard back from you

Like for so many, the last two years have been an up and down experience. The isolation has been really tough but I suppose I'm used to it by now. I do miss getting together with friends though. But, on the plus side I'm pretty sure being stuck with my family for this long has improved my relationship with them, so there's that! But what's helped me a lot is exercise, moving my body, etc. I got really into trail running last summer, then stopped being active once the weather turned, but I just went on a run today for the first time in a few months. Being physically active really helps me stay positive and keep my mind on track. I've been in school as well so focusing on that has been helpful.
    I did...and I told you that in another post last week....I will respond...actually it's a long story and that's why I have not responded...work has been insane and all my physio stuff. I will pm
    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
      I did...and I told you that in another post last week.
      Oh really? I didn't see that post Trevor. Thanks for the reply.
      Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
      1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
        If'n you're inclined to sit around and chew on something you should probably try this link: https://archive.org/details/then-cam...omplete-series
        I definitely am! It's why I have a shelf of cook books. heh Seriously.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
          Covid is just an annoying nuisance in comparison to cancer
          BTDT ! Ten years ago but it is still on my mind every day. My wife battled breast cancer. She inherited a BRCA 2 variant. 6 surgeries in a year. She is fine today but has lost 3 close friends to breast cancer. So far.....we have not lost any close friends or family to covid. I wish you and your wife all the best.

My "Day in the life" has changed very little. I normally always wear a respirator at work so wearing a cloth mask is nothing to me. I struggle to wonder why this is so hard for people. I entertain that its some sort of inferiority complex and peoples inability to be told what to do....I have been getting flu shots so covid shots were a no-brainer.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

This is an interesting course:

"Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post

Wow! Good for her, 3.7 million have taken her course. Pardon my capitalistic thought, but I suspect this will parlay into lots of those things that don't create happiness for her, as it should.

It is certainly true, money does not buy happiness. What it does is allow you to focus more on other parts of your life without certain concerns.

An interesting side note, my wife and I have been married for 27 years. We have never comingled money. We have purchased homes together, that's about it. And I am convinced that keeping money seperate is why we rarely argue about anything.

Comment

36 yrs. & have always dumped our money in the same bucket, It just came natural. We both eat the groceries, we both use the utilities, we both use the insurance, we both take the vacations, we both owe the taxes, we both use the vehicles. Just seems reasonable to both feed the acct. to take care of them. We both do have a small "rat hole" with some $$ stashed into for spur of the moment stuff you may run up on...Nothing wrong with either way, it's just what you are accustomed to.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                  Interesting article and course....

Isn't this the same as the definition of meditation?

"A reporter for Insider, Mara Leighton, recently tracked her journey taking the course and how it improved her mental health, ultimately incorporating pilates into her routine as a personal wellness activity. Consistently doing pilates is what Leighton says helps her reach her “flow state.” As taught in the course, a flow state is “the mental state in which a person performing an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and enjoyment.”“After Santos' course, I understood that perfection shouldn't be the goal of trying an activity — it's your own concentration and effort that's the reward,” Leighton wrote.
                  No signature

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                    BTDT ! Ten years ago but it is still on my mind every day. My wife battled breast cancer. She inherited a BRCA 2 variant. 6 surgeries in a year. She is fine today but has lost 3 close friends to breast cancer. So far.....we have not lost any close friends or family to covid. I wish you and your wife all the best.

My "Day in the life" has changed very little. I normally always wear a respirator at work so wearing a cloth mask is nothing to me. I struggle to wonder why this is so hard for people. I entertain that its some sort of inferiority complex and peoples inability to be told what to do....I have been getting flu shots so covid shots were a no-brainer.
                    Masks were part of my work life as well, I still may pay the price for those times I didn't wear one I nearly died twice on the job site from not having the proper mask.
                    We met with the mrs's oncologist this morning to go over the results her combined CT and PT scans and got the first goods news in two years of her war with cancer. Her stage 4 metastasized cancer has been reduced to a single barely measurable spot. The battle isn't over there's still a number of rounds of chemo to go through and possibly 2 more surgeries and then the 5 year process but that dark cloud hanging over us is lifting. Anyone moaning about the oppresive inconvenience of covid restrictions, the onerous task of wearing a mask or being vaccinated needs a kick in the arse. They have no concept of what's really difficult until a MD says to them that without treatment you only have 18 months to live, that the treatment is going to be horrific and the odds are against you. Covid in comparison is child's play, I'll take another 10years of pandemic conditions rather than battle cancer again.
                    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Interesting article and course....

"A reporter for Insider, Mara Leighton, recently tracked her journey taking the course and how it improved her mental health, ultimately incorporating pilates into her routine as a personal wellness activity. Consistently doing pilates is what Leighton says helps her reach her “flow state.” As taught in the course, a flow state is “the mental state in which a person performing an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and enjoyment.”“After Santos' course, I understood that perfection shouldn't be the goal of trying an activity — it's your own concentration and effort that's the reward,” Leighton wrote.
                      Yeah but the bs terms can be copyrighted.
                      Where's meditation is free
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                        Yeah but the bs terms can be copyrighted.
                        Where's meditation is free
                        Lol....very true!
                        No signature

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                          Masks were part of my work life as well, I still may pay the price for those times I didn't wear one I nearly died twice on the job site from not having the proper mask.
                          We met with the mrs's oncologist this morning to go over the results her combined CT and PT scans and got the first goods news in two years of her war with cancer. Her stage 4 metastasized cancer has been reduced to a single barely measurable spot. The battle isn't over there's still a number of rounds of chemo to go through and possibly 2 more surgeries and then the 5 year process but that dark cloud hanging over us is lifting. Anyone moaning about the oppresive inconvenience of covid restrictions, the onerous task of wearing a mask or being vaccinated needs a kick in the arse. They have no concept of what's really difficult until a MD says to them that without treatment you only have 18 months to live, that the treatment is going to be horrific and the odds are against you. Covid in comparison is child's play, I'll take another 10years of pandemic conditions rather than battle cancer again.

Nice to hear the good diagnosis, Robert.
                          Positive thoughts sent to your wife and you.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

“flow state.” As taught in the course, a flow state is “the mental state in which a person performing an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and enjoyment.
                            I don't know about meditation but it reminds me a lot of riding a motorcycle.
                            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                            80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                              Haha....which is clearly a form of meditation by definition.
                              No signature

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                                Or in my case, working on one.
                                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
                                X