Your mental health during a pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    Thanks. We’re being as supportive as we know how. But my wife and I are the ones who forced him to be taken away, by force. He’s bitter and angry at us for it, and we accept that. We hated doing it, but we know we did the right thing and have to live with it. But there’s a high level of distrust there. We know that the friends he’s been hanging with the most have had their own issues and still deal with various forms of mental illness, courses of therapy, medications. So we believe that he’s finding common ground with friends his age. He’s with a friend right now who’s been through a lot of physical, mental and emotional problems in his own 20 years; A physical handicap giving him a permanent limp, depression, anxiety, and parents unaccepting of his homosexuality (he lives with grandparents when not at college). We don’t know everything they talk about, but he’s always happy, and not a drug-high happy, when comes home from there.
    You and your wife are clearly very good and responsible parents. You have very likely saved his life and have absolutely removed him from a culture that drove his torment.
    Druggies are no different than barstool jockeys they seek out their own misery in people who share it.
    I quit alcohol 2 yrs ago NYE cold turkey and guess what none of my "friends" respected me for it or wanted me around anymore. It is a hollow degenerative sharing and rationalizing they seek and not the type of friendship that allows a person to grow.

Please be aware that the euphoria, just the drug free from of it in bipolar is intensely rewarding. Many people achieve a great many goals not the least of which may be the intensity that assisted your sons musical talent. When thats taken away they are quite understandably upset. Of the BPD people I have known though few have been of the type who have euphoria to the point of a break with reality. They all say they miss the highs but not the lows.

Its also a cruel thing to say but thank god its not schizophrenia.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post

Please be aware that the euphoria, just the drug free from of it in bipolar is intensely rewarding. Many people achieve a great many goals not the least of which may be the intensity that assisted your sons musical talent. When thats taken away they are quite understandably upset. Of the BPD people I have known though few have been of the type who have euphoria to the point of a break with reality. They all say they miss the highs but not the lows.
      This is a cool subject: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jouissance
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

i thought it best to delete my posts this morning. Thanks for comments from you guys that sat through that rant. I woke up at 1:30 and haven't been able to rest yet. Long night gave me plenty of time to pour out my heart here, maybe a bit too much actually.

Rich, we have a lot in common. Thanks for sharing all that you did. My wife is on quetiapine, lamotrigene and lithium. Bipolar type 2 is her dignosis. What a roller coaster. Worse for her than me, but same ride. I can get off though...

Gonna have a cold beer and watch the moon for a while.

Cheers!
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Roger, hope you're doing OK, and I hope venting here helped a bit, even though you had to delete it. Writing letters you'll never send can be a great way to process.

And Rich, thanks for sharing. Again, I hope sharing helps a little.

I used to work in the mental health field, and I've seen what mental illness can do to even the most supportive families. The pandemic has made managing this or any other medical issue incredibly more difficult.

My wife and I have been extraordinarily fortunate throughout the pandemic.

There have been mental health consequences, but I suppose we're quite privileged in that the worst are from antivaxxer relatives in my wife's family. Some were already known morons, so not all that surprising, but there are some close relations with children that we never would have predicted would turn into brainless dolts like this.

They have had and even spread COVID-19 to others (fortunately all recovered), but they still refuse to even consider getting vaccinated or to take the slightest safety or preventative measures. Their "reasoning" is the usual inchoate paranoid mishmash, and the topic is closed.

And the above describes millions of families, probably every family. These familial splits are going to reverberate for generations.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            Roger, hope you're doing OK, and I hope venting here helped a bit, even though you had to delete it. Writing letters you'll never send can be a great way to process.

And Rich, thanks for sharing. Again, I hope sharing helps a little.

I used to work in the mental health field, and I've seen what mental illness can do to even the most supportive families. The pandemic has made managing this or any other medical issue incredibly more difficult.

My wife and I have been extraordinarily fortunate throughout the pandemic.

There have been mental health consequences, but I suppose we're quite privileged in that the worst are from antivaxxer relatives in my wife's family. Some were already known morons, so not all that surprising, but there are some close relations with children that we never would have predicted would turn into brainless dolts like this.

They have had and even spread COVID-19 to others (fortunately all recovered), but they still refuse to even consider getting vaccinated or to take the slightest safety or preventative measures. Their "reasoning" is the usual inchoate paranoid mishmash, and the topic is closed.

And the above describes millions of families, probably every family. These familial splits are going to reverberate for generations.
            My brother in law in Ontario is anti-vax....he's an idiot and I already knew that. But I don't know anyone else that is anti vax....no one.
            No signature

Comment

Originally posted by mars11
              nowadays covid is the big thread that cause unemployment and other money plroblems, recently i found this intersting article about how to start and run your own business in this tough time, i would like to share https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/25/b...d-or-sell.html
              It never ends.....
              No signature

Comment

Working...
              X