First It Was Cataracts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First It Was Cataracts

Now it's a detached retina ... What an ordeal ! .... Off to a GP to get an emergency referral then off to the opthamologist and wait til she can squeeze me in then off to the Eye Centre and wait a few hours to get what's called a bulb put in and a few shots of laser just for fun ...... Then it's back tomorrow morning to laser that up { which he has already told me is going to hurt like Hell } ..... You don't want to know the contorted positions I am expected to spend the time in between including sleep ...... And if that doesn't work surgery next week ...... Those drops after cataract surgery are a cakewalk compared to this ...... Old age sucks .......
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Try to get some rest tonight and good luck tomorrow.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Ouch! That does not sound like fun. However, if you think back a few years that kind of repair would not have been possible. Hoping for the best for you.

Comment

Hi Garth, sorry to hear about that. It happened a friend of mine last year out of the blue, no prior eye work, just went to wash his face and sparkles and weird stuff just appeared. He got the bulb and was bandaged up like a pirate for a month or so with absolutely no jarring movement. Right as rain now.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
          Now it's a detached retina ... What an ordeal ! .... Off to a GP to get an emergency referral then off to the opthamologist and wait til she can squeeze me in then off to the Eye Centre and wait a few hours to get what's called a bulb put in and a few shots of laser just for fun ...... Then it's back tomorrow morning to laser that up { which he has already told me is going to hurt like Hell } ..... You don't want to know the contorted positions I am expected to spend the time in between including sleep ...... And if that doesn't work surgery next week ...... Those drops after cataract surgery are a cakewalk compared to this ...... Old age sucks .......
          It is good to see that everything is actually being attended to very quickly as that is essential for this concern.

I have known of two others who had similar experiences, and the repairs worked for them.

As Brendan suggested, things might be a bit uncomfortable for a while, but the outcome is well worth it .

Good luck.
          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Sending positive healing from Delaware!

Hope everything goes well during this time.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

took a friend to get his done in and out in a few hours and a follow up the next day.
              They were certainly geared up for production a seemingly endless stream of patients so one imagines they have finely honed skills.

Your in excellent hands so saying good luck is silly
              but good luck.

I recieved post care instructions with my friends as I was minding him for the night before the follow up
              was told a lot of things including making him sleep on one side and not roll over.
              I wondered how in hell I could stop him rolling over and well a flash of insight BIG BROOM HANDLE!
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Yep, Old age sucks...Not golden yrs as described, but beats the alternative. Like he said, may be silly, but good luck anyway.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Being the Kaptain of a tug boat or a pirate ship?
                  Follow the protocols or you won't have the choice.
                  Good luck, Kap.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I've had split vision my entire life, I used my left eye for reading and the right for distance it served me well as never needed glasses until I hit 60, I was struggling to read road signs on the highway. An optometrist fitted me with glasses and advised I wear a hat as I had early stages of cataracts. Cataracts! That's an old person problem! I scoffed at that but now 9 yrs later I find I have lot difficulty driving at night, on coming headlights, driving in the rain and snow everything is either blinding or blurry. It's time to come out of my denial stage, I've got cataracts! At least I don't have a detached retina.

Getting old really does suck big time.
                    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                      took a friend to get his done in and out in a few hours and a follow up the next day.
                      They were certainly geared up for production a seemingly endless stream of patients so one imagines they have finely honed skills.

Your in excellent hands so saying good luck is silly
                      but good luck.

I recieved post care instructions with my friends as I was minding him for the night before the follow up
                      was told a lot of things including making him sleep on one side and not roll over.
                      I wondered how in hell I could stop him rolling over and well a flash of insight BIG BROOM HANDLE!

I hope I will never have need to use this information, but please let us know how far in does it have to go?
                      "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Just got back and too much fluid to do the laser thing today .... The good news is he said the retina has spread out nicely .... Now it is Victretomy surgery on Monday ..... According to my opthomolagist this guy is the best in the city so fingers crossed ...... At least no more contorted body position between now and then . Thank Gawd ! .......
                        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                        1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                          I hope I will never have need to use this information, but please let us know how far in does it have to go?
                          this persistent fascination with the back door (thread after thread)
                          anything you need to get off your chest, perhaps?
                          1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                            Just got back and too much fluid to do the laser thing today .... The good news is he said the retina has spread out nicely .... Now it is Victretomy surgery on Monday ..... According to my opthomolagist this guy is the best in the city so fingers crossed ...... At least no more contorted body position between now and then . Thank Gawd ! .......
                            your doing well technology for detached retinas has obviously improved, 30 yrs ago I had a buddy who spent 4-6 weeks flat on his back for that.
                            1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Surgery done yesterday .... Many thanks to the woman in the next bed for having breakfast and horrifying the anesthesia guy as it bumped me up into her spot so only a three hour wait instead of four ..... Went for inspection today and doctor says all looks good though I still can't see a damn thing out of it ..... Doc says vision should return over two weeks ....... Fingers crossed ......
                              1983 GS 750

Comment

Working...
                              X