Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring gremlins/starter relay

So this is my understanding of how the wiring is supposed to go-

Battery comes out and feeds into fuse box and the starter relay. Then there’s an additional circuit that comes through the fuse box and hits the starter relay.

From the starter relay from there goes to the ignition and then key then to the start stop and back to the relay, which energizes the relay coil.

Relay coil goes to motor starter, solenoid and spark plugs.

currently this is what we have done/are experiencing-

Safety switch from the clutch is deleted. Side stand is up but was t working before so it make have already been deleted

We are getting voltage out from the run switch but the starter relay is not energizing.

Getting signal out from the run but not from the relay, so we’ve ordered a new relay.

I have the green dyna coils and the dyna s on the bike. the timing is not set on the dyna s as of yet. At one point we were getting voltage on both sides of the coils but then we heard a pop and that’s when our issues started happening.

could this indeed be the starter relay? Is there anything else that would be left in the electrical that needs changing? The battery is brand spanking new and was just checked, so the battery is not the issue.

on a side not, completely unrelated, when we mess with the hand controls for the headlight/blinker, im
    hearing noise in the stator. We’re under the assumption that this is because the light is pulling electricity through the stator through the battery. Could this just be a crossed wire?

any ideas of the aforementioned issues.

Main lady- 2009 Nightster 1200
    Project Lady- 1982 GS650 G

“hearing noise in the stator. We’re under the assumption that this is because the light is pulling electricity through the stator through the battery.“

assuming you meant “stator” and not “starter” ….something is very wrong with a noise down there. Best to pull off stator cover and investigate.. start there
    Here’s a colored wiring diagram to help follow how power flows

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...211030&o=OneUp

PS. The “pop” bothers me….did it sound electrical or mechanical?. Don’t throw away the stock ignitor just yet
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The pop was definitely electrical. He got shocked. Since then the starter relay stopped working. Just got a replacement in

Comment

I’d still investigate the stator……the rotor might have locked up and fried your solenoid….seems unlikely , as your starter motor would go first!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

We definitely will need to look into the stator. It makes absolutely no sense why we would be hearing noise....I'm wondering if a wire got crossed. Its looking like were going to have to go through this entire bike wire by wire. What a PITA. The new starter relay is working though so thats a step in the right direction. We need to work on the dyna s more on timing.

Comment

Working...
          X