'77 GS750 wheel bearing source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'77 GS750 wheel bearing source

The front wheel bearings on my 750 are shot so I figured I may as well replace the front and rear while I have the bike apart for my resto-mod build.

I found the bearings on Parts Outlaw but their prices seem way too high. $40 for the front and almost that for the rear. I've searched the partnumbers on ebay but not much comes up for my application. I'm wondering if anyone here has a more affordable source for wheel bearings? I don't want to have to replace them again so I want quality bearings that will last, so if I have to pony up the $80+ for wheel bearings I will, but if I can get the same part somewhere cheaper I'd like too. Haven't had any luck though.

As always, any help/input is appreciated.
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

It's been while since I replaced my bearing, so I have no idea about current pricing, but these should be easy to find in many places. At the top of this FORUM scroll down to CONSUMER INFORMATION. You should find lots of links to BIG bike shops there -- like Dennis Kirk, etc. They will have what you want.
    sigpic
    '77 GS550B
    '78 GS550C

Comment

You need to search the number on the bearing not the Suzuki part number.
      The numbers will be a 6302 or similar and you want 2RS prefix which stands for two rubber seals.
      There will be tons of them on Ebay ( which do come up if you simply type in GS750 wheel bearings and pick your year) and every online or local bearing shop at a fraction of what you will pay for in the Suzuki packaging.
      Go for SKF,NTN,NSK-RHP, INA, brands as they are up there for quality and are also the suppliers for most OEM motorcycle bearings anyway.
      Last edited by zed1015; 01-17-2022, 03:16 PM.
      Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
      VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Or, simply locate a nearby bearing supplier, go there and pay under $10 per bearing
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

On all GS models, these are standard metric industrial bearings, and the Suzuki part numbers contain the bearing number, thusly:

So for most or all GS front wheels:
          08123-63027

The original bearings have a seal on one side, which may have saved Suzuki a fraction of a penny in 1977. Upon replacement, everyone just installs 2RS bearing (2 Rubber Seals).

I know GS shafties use two 6303 bearings in the rear wheel, but I don't know whether that's the same as used in the wheels of chain drive GS models. Plus there's a larger bearing in the sprocket carrier.

Industrial bearings are made for loads and speeds many times greater than they see in motorcycle use. Installed correctly (this is sometimes not intuitive) and if you keep water and contamination out, they'll last nearly indefinitely.

The advice above to look for a local industrial supplier is good. No need to get the hellishly expensive major Euro brands, unless you really want to (and they're almost all made in China anyway). Any decent midlevel Chinese bearing will be OK. And no, don't add grease. Sealed bearings come with the correct amount and type of grease.

I keep wheel bearings on hand for all my bikes. They're small, inexpensive, and the sort of thing that could derail a tire change or a trip. If I find a problem while changing tires or the night before a trip, I have bearings ready to go.

Some later model motorcycles use nonstandard wheel bearings. But AFAIK, vintage metric bikes all use standard metric bearings.
          Last edited by bwringer; 01-17-2022, 01:10 PM.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I agree that the above suggestions are best, but you can always order up a dirt cheap All Balls kit and just slam them in. They will outlive the bike in most cases.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              I agree that the above suggestions are best, but you can always order up a dirt cheap All Balls kit and just slam them in. They will outlive the bike in most cases.
              Agreed. There's a lot to be said for making this easy.
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

This is exactly the info I was looking for! Thanks guys! I love this forum, the best one I've ever been on. I appreciate the help.

I'm thinking I'll go with All Balls. I noticed the description of their kits says it comes with two bearings and two seals... What are the seals for? Do the bearings not come with the seals installed? I read the installation instructions but there was no mention of installing seals...
                - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

On many motorcycles (but not on GS models), especially dirtbikes, there are added seals on the outside of the bearing, sort of a first line of defense against contamination.

All Balls puts together kits to be compatible with the absolute maximum number of motorcycles in order to simplify inventory for sellers. So in some kits you'll get a couple of seals you don't need. If you look on the back of the package, there's a long list of compatible motorcycles of many different brands.

The seals built into the bearings are fine on a GS; streetbikes are not intended for fording streams, deep mud, or being pressure washed.

I've used All Balls kits many times. The bearings are decent quality and I've never had an issue.

You'll also find there are plenty of people who don't know how to install wheel bearings and complain loudly about the bearing brand or origin when they fail prematurely. Read the manual, pay attention, don't strike on the inner race, and don't just thwack them in there such that they're too tight or too loose against the spacer.
                  Last edited by bwringer; 01-18-2022, 10:46 AM.
                  Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
                    Do the bearings not come with the seals installed? I read the installation instructions but there was no mention of installing seals...
                    Sealed bearings come pre greased with the seals fitted so no need to do anything but fit the bearings.
                    The seals are to keep the grease in and muck and water out to get the longest life out of them.
                    Rubber sealed types are best for this.
                    Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
                    VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Thank you gents, again. I will add All Balls to my list of part sources.

Comment

Working...
                      X