Called to cancel insurance renewal on bike today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Called to cancel insurance renewal on bike today

After 4 years of a grand a year and a yearly sneaky creep upward in cost.
    I said to my self its January and my bike is in a bunker why would I start shelling out for insurance now and why not check out other vendors.

Called and announced my intentions. They asked why. I refrained from saying noygdb and mumbled checking other vendors for better coverage and prices.

They cancelled without a glimmer of concern or attempt at retention.
    I even said I may be back if they are competitive and silence ensued.
    last year I hovered at the 2 dollar a mile for insurance mark due to covid and other issues.
    now to cancel those gouging pricks at Netflix
    a plethora of crap and a search engine that returns everything but what you asked for
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

I've been with State Farm forever. The Harley costs me exactly the same as the '99 Bandit 1200 to insure with full coverage and 100/300 on underinsured/uninsured. Then again, even though last year saw me out a little less, I still put 5,000 miles on the bike.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

I was with State Farm for several years, then about 3-4 years ago, I decided to try Dairyland and I was shocked at the lower priced coverage for 3 bikes at the time.

Check around, I'm sure you can do better than what you had.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
        I was with State Farm for several years, then about 3-4 years ago, I decided to try Dairyland and I was shocked at the lower priced coverage for 3 bikes at the time.

Check around, I'm sure you can do better than what you had.
        I second that! I had State Farm for a number of years, switched to Progressive, same coverage, half the cost!
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Hagerty seems quite reasonable and they give me a monthly magazine that's great. 3 bikes and and an old Willys wagon for 300/year or so, but pretty minimal miles and coverage. Most of it is for the wagon.
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I pay
            $190 for my 1980 gs750e (liability 2 million)
            $215 for my 1983 gs750e (liability 2 million)
            $245 for my 1980 gs1000s (liability 2 million)
            $1400 for my 2012 K1300R ((liability 2 million collision, theft etc)
            $800 for my 2020 DR650 (liability 2 million plus collision and theft)

With these policies I also get roadside assistance...which includes, among other things hotel and a flight home.
            All my bikes are insured 12 months.
            I will be adding the new 2022 gsxs1000gt this year as well as the 1982 1100e I recently bought.
            Yep...it's a lot....lol....but it's why I work.
            No signature

Comment

Wow, Trevor!

But you do get around on those bikes. And you're right...that's why you work.

I have Progressive and pay $75/Full Coverage Policy for the year.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Crazy how expensive insurance is in Canada, even adjusting for the currency. I just bought a new bike that I have fully insured, plus liability on the other bikes, and it's $272/yr.
                '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                  Crazy how expensive insurance is in Canada, even adjusting for the currency. I just bought a new bike that I have fully insured, plus liability on the other bikes, and it's $272/yr.
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                  Wow, Trevor!

Ed

Ah yes....but what's "fully insured"? Do you pay licence feels each year? How much liability? Bike replacement? Towing? Getting you home? Hotel? Underinsured driver protection? Hospital? Yes we still pay more but what are you really getting in comparison?

My recent accident is a great example....I have gone to over 400 appointments related to my accident....physio, kinesiologist, hand therapy...etc...it's all paid for by my motorcycle insurance....heck I even get paid mileage...just got $228 for December. Got a gym membership too...orthotics for my heel...they paid for a ramp to be built at my house...I rental of a mobility scooter paid for...an OT to come to my house whenever I want...I go to a phycologist every two weeks...all paid for...I got paid $4250 for the Bandit that I paid $1250 for two months earlier....I didn't have collision on it but because it wasn't my fault they paid me...oh and all my gear was paid for too.
                  Go ask Rob what his insurance has paid from hi accident two two years ago....
                  With all this help I'm riding again...a lot.
                  I'm interested in hearing your thoughts instead of the usual "boy you Canadians sure pay a lot"....
                  At the rates you pay for insurance...I would be terrified if I ever needed it.
                  I get this all paid for until my doctor says I don't need it anymore.
                  No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                    Ah yes....but what's "fully insured"? Do you pay licence feels each year? How much liability? Bike replacement? Towing? Getting you home? Hotel? Underinsured driver protection? Hospital? Yes we still pay more but what are you really getting in comparison?

My recent accident is a great example....I have gone to over 400 appointments related to my accident....physio, kinesiologist, hand therapy...etc...it's all paid for by my motorcycle insurance....heck I even get paid mileage...just got $228 for December. Got a gym membership too...orthotics for my heel...they paid for a ramp to be built at my house...I rental of a mobility scooter paid for...an OT to come to my house whenever I want...I go to a phycologist every two weeks...all paid for...I got paid $4250 for the Bandit that I paid $1250 for two months earlier....I didn't have collision on it but because it wasn't my fault they paid me...oh and all my gear was paid for too.
                    Go ask Rob what his insurance has paid from hi accident two two years ago....
                    With all this help I'm riding again...a lot.
                    I'm interested in hearing your thoughts instead of the usual "boy you Canadians sure pay a lot"....
                    At the rates you pay for insurance...I would be terrified if I ever needed it.
                    I get this all paid for until my doctor says I don't need it anymore.
                    You pay a lot more for being in a higher theft area
                    Seems I'm getting a bargain.
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                      Wow, Trevor!

Ed

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                      You pay a lot more for being in a higher theft area
                      Seems I'm getting a bargain.
                      I doubt it...I have lots of family living in Ontario and I paid insurance there too...Did you see the part where I pay $640 for my two 750s and my 1000 for the year? Oh and here is another thing we can do that you can't...I can insure the bike for 3 months or 6 months....the whole point of your thread was because you have to insure it 12 months...even though you can't ride it 12 months like I can...My riding buddies from Ontario all wish they had our insurance system. We talk about it a lot.
                      Oh and how about bikes being black listed? How about young males being gouged? Doesn't happen here.
                      And how about all the healthcare I just mentioned?

You said you paid a grand a year....for what? What kind of coverage?
                      No signature

Comment

3 bikes, liability only, $122.44 a year (geico). This is the total, not each bike.

I am the only rider and they I am told they take into account that you can't actually ride more than one at a time

insbike.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                          I pay
                          $190 for my 1980 gs750e (liability 2 million)
                          $215 for my 1983 gs750e (liability 2 million)
                          $245 for my 1980 gs1000s (liability 2 million)
                          $1400 for my 2012 K1300R ((liability 2 million collision, theft etc)
                          $800 for my 2020 DR650 (liability 2 million plus collision and theft)

With these policies I also get roadside assistance...which includes, among other things hotel and a flight home.
                          All my bikes are insured 12 months.
                          I will be adding the new 2022 gsxs1000gt this year as well as the 1982 1100e I recently bought.
                          Yep...it's a lot....lol....but it's why I work.

Damn, that's almost as bad as health insurance is here in the US

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                            3 bikes, liability only, $122.44 a year (geico). This is the total, not each bike.

I am the only rider and they I am told they take into account that you can't actually ride more than one at a time

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63787[/ATTACH]
                            And how much liability? As mentioned I have 2 million on each bike. How many months can you ride?
                            If we are going to have any meaningful discussion here guys it would be nice to have all the details rather than I just pay x amount of dollars
                            cheers
                            No signature

Comment

Yep, what trevor said. Policies are waaay waaay different. I have Geico, liability only, 50K bodily injury & 25K property damage. All bikes on same policy, total is $207 pr. yr...I left Farm Bureau ins. appx. 5 yrs. back when they refused to insure my 2 GS1150"s, they said they were on their list of high performance bikes...Go Figure.
                              Last edited by rphillips; 01-18-2022, 02:25 PM.
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X