No announcement yet.

Called to cancel insurance renewal on bike today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A guy would have to pull off one heck of a bone headed stunt to make himself liable for $2 million in damages!
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
      A guy would have to pull off one heck of a bone headed stunt to make himself liable for $2 million in damages!
      Nobody sues in your country? LOL 😂
      No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
        Nobody sues in your country? LOL 
        Disable a brain surgeon a 2 million vaporises
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

It's costing me around 250Euros per annum for two bikes (one GS and one XS). Each of the others would cost €40 to add for the year.
          That's fully comprehensive, not sure about the max liability, but basically whether I cause it or someone else does and buggers off, I get paid.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
            Disable a brain surgeon a 2 million vaporises
            Monkey's could fly out my butt too, I suppose that's more likely to happen north of the 48th parallel so if I go up that way again I'll make sure I'm covered. In the mean time I'll pay for minimum coverage, at $16 a month I can still afford the finer things in life, like Top Ramen noodles when times get hard.

Comment

Nobody sues in your country? LOL 
              In order for them to win they would need to prove that I either purposely caused the event to happen or the event happened due to my negligence. Purposely injuring someone is clear cut enough, no reason to go into that. As to negligence, if my safety equipment (lights, horn) are in working order and I'm not out hot-dogging (street racing, pulling wheelies) then the only other way to prove negligence would be riding drunk or on drugs. Since I'm not into that type of lifestyle anymore (being a drunk/stoned Bozo on the road) I really don't see anything to be worried about. What part of your behavior are YOU worried about Trevor?

Comment

Hey Dave, Any way to know, if your bike got wrecked & totaled, how much the ins. would pay? Wondering because they think older vehicles aren't worth much at all. When my "99" Dodge Ram 4X4 Lariat with only 100K got totaled, I didn't get anywhere near what I thought it was worth & arguing didn't help.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                  In order for them to win they would need to prove that I either purposely caused the event to happen or the event happened due to my negligence. Purposely injuring someone is clear cut enough, no reason to go into that. As to negligence, if my safety equipment (lights, horn) are in working order and I'm not out hot-dogging (street racing, pulling wheelies) then the only other way to prove negligence would be riding drunk or on drugs. Since I'm not into that type of lifestyle anymore (being a drunk/stoned Bozo on the road) I really don't see anything to be worried about. What part of your behavior are YOU worried about Trevor?
                  Fifty grand should cover your first two nights in ICU .... That ain't insurance coverage .... It's nothing more than a " driving fee " .......
                  Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                  Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                  1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                    Fifty grand should cover your first two nights in ICU .... That ain't insurance coverage .... It's nothing more than a " driving fee " .......
                    Exactly Garth! As you say we up our insurance because of riding in the USA where people think 50 grand coverage is ok LOL
                    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                      Hey Dave, Any way to know, if your bike got wrecked & totaled, how much the ins. would pay? Wondering because they think older vehicles aren't worth much at all. When my "99" Dodge Ram 4X4 Lariat with only 100K got totaled, I didn't get anywhere near what I thought it was worth & arguing didn't help.
                      I don't have an agreed value on them, so would probably get into an argument with them about it. However, I would make the point that I should be left no worse off and if another bike costs X-amount that's what I should be paid. Like for like, and takes care of market values of older vehicles. The GSs are past the point of being cheap old wrecks now.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

This

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                        Wow, Trevor!

But you do get around on those bikes. And you're right...that's why you work.

I have Progressive and pay $75/Full Coverage Policy for the year.

Ed

Ah yes....but what's "fully insured"? Do you pay licence feels each year? How much liability? Bike replacement? Towing? Getting you home? Hotel? Underinsured driver protection? Hospital? Yes we still pay more but what are you really getting in comparison?

My recent accident is a great example....I have gone to over 400 appointments related to my accident....physio, kinesiologist, hand therapy...etc...it's all paid for by my motorcycle insurance....heck I even get paid mileage...just got $228 for December. Got a gym membership too...orthotics for my heel...they paid for a ramp to be built at my house...I rental of a mobility scooter paid for...an OT to come to my house whenever I want...I go to a phycologist every two weeks...all paid for...I got paid $4250 for the Bandit that I paid $1250 for two months earlier....I didn't have collision on it but because it wasn't my fault they paid me...oh and all my gear was paid for too.
                        Go ask Rob what his insurance has paid from hi accident two two years ago....
                        With all this help I'm riding again...a lot.
                        I'm interested in hearing your thoughts instead of the usual "boy you Canadians sure pay a lot"....
                        At the rates you pay for insurance...I would be terrified if I ever needed it.
                        I get this all paid for until my doctor says I don't need it anymore.
                        I'll take my own quote and answer as best I can...

I'm not downplaying your costs or saying you're getting ripped off. I think you know me better than that...I don't attack you like these other jokers do...so please don't include me in your assessment of Americans. And don't take that response personal as it is just how I felt when you said, "boy you Canadians sure pay a lot".

As for the coverage I pay for $75 annual fee:

Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability
                        $25K each person
                        $50K each accident
                        $10K each accident

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury & Uninsured Motorist Property Damage
                        $25K each person
                        $50K each accident
                        $10K each accident

Personal Injury Protection
                        $15K
                        $30K each accident ($15K deductible) Restricted

Medical Payments
                        No coverage

Comprehensive
                        $0 Deductable

Collision
                        $0 Deductable

Roadside Assistance
                        No Coverage

Carried Contents
                        No coverage

Accessory Coverage
                        No Coverage

I'm not riding my bike at the moment so I can change/update my coverage as I see fit. I have not paid my registration since my bike is parked.

As for medical, I have Blue Cross Blue Shield from work as Primary and TriCare Prime (Military Health Care) as secondary coverage that covered my bilateral knee replacements--no out-of-pocket expenses for me.

If I ever get a new bike, I will increase my coverage of course...but with this vintage GS, my plan is minimal.

Feedback regarding my coverage is encouraged...if you have any questions.

Thanks for understanding my explanation about these Americans that seem to give you grief...not that you can't handle it.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                          This

I'll take my own quote and answer as best I can...

I'm not downplaying your costs or saying you're getting ripped off. I think you know me better than that...I don't attack you like these other jokers do...so please don't include me in your assessment of Americans. And don't take that response personal as it is just how I felt when you said, "boy you Canadians sure pay a lot".

As for the coverage I pay for $75 annual fee:

Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability
                          $25K each person
                          $50K each accident
                          $10K each accident

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury & Uninsured Motorist Property Damage
                          $25K each person
                          $50K each accident
                          $10K each accident

Personal Injury Protection
                          $15K
                          $30K each accident ($15K deductible) Restricted

Medical Payments
                          No coverage

Comprehensive
                          $0 Deductable

Collision
                          $0 Deductable

Roadside Assistance
                          No Coverage

Carried Contents
                          No coverage

Accessory Coverage
                          No Coverage

I'm not riding my bike at the moment so I can change/update my coverage as I see fit. I have not paid my registration since my bike is parked.

As for medical, I have Blue Cross Blue Shield from work as Primary and TriCare Prime (Military Health Care) as secondary coverage that covered my bilateral knee replacements--no out-of-pocket expenses for me.

If I ever get a new bike, I will increase my coverage of course...but with this vintage GS, my plan is minimal.

Feedback regarding my coverage is encouraged...if you have any questions.

Thanks for understanding my explanation about these Americans that seem to give you grief...not that you can't handle it.

Ed

So am I right in believing you basically have enough coverage for a one or two night stay in a hospital??
                          No signature

Comment

So am I right in believing you basically have enough coverage for a one or two night stay in a hospital??
                            I'd have to call my Primary & Secondary Health Insurance and ask how that works. I would expect to be covered as long as needed.

Good question, Trevor.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Interesting the vast differences between countries!

Most motorcycle policies in the US sort of scale based on the local riding days. Folks in the northlands end up paying a bit less than people who can ride all year, depending on many other mysterious factors.

Anyhoo, the ancient ritual of discontinuing your motorcycle insurance for the winter then picking it up again in the spring is pointless, annoying, and obsolete. My policy here in Indiana is billed and paid annually, and remains in effect year-round; if we get a freakishly warm day in December or January (and we do many years) I can go ride without any added ceremonies.

One neato thing I found out the very hard way after I got hit by a car is that the limits on auto insurance in Indiana are laughably low. It's $25,000/$50,000/$10,000. That means only $25,000 for bodily injury per person, with a total maximum of $50,000, and $10,000 for property damage. Same in most states, even though it actually doesn't cost much more to get limits ten times that or more.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Mine is about $120 for one bike & $60 extra for each additional. Liability only. 100k / 300k. Annual. I actually found it difficult to buy more cover without changing insurer. That's the max.

It's more expensive in the UK than here but the coverage is slightly better.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                                X