No announcement yet.

Called to cancel insurance renewal on bike today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as we're comparing, uh, numbers...

My Progressive policy started out at $250/yr in 2013 (liability only) and steadily rose to almost $300. But recently some of the laws changed and last May my bill was $175.

I don't think I'll get a whole lot better than that. I'd love to shop around but it seems like very few companies offer motorcycle insurance in Michigan.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I'm going to look into additional coverage. I have liability only. Thankfully the car driver was found at fault in my accident or I would have been screwed.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I'm at $87 per year on my GS with Progressive. It's only gone up about $10 in three years. $250k/$500k /$100k liability. Some modest UIM/UM and personal benefits. Collision and Comp. are only a stated value of $1500. Some contents coverage.

On a V-Strom I had insured with them for 6 or 7 years at similar coverages, it had risen steadily from about $300 to $580/year as the bike depreciated. That co. is well known for doing that. They do have a substantial discount for paying the year in full at billing.

I suppose they do not view me or the GS as much of threat. Of course, with that low stated value almost any damage and it's totaled. When I sold the V-Strom I dropped the policy for about 6 months, then started a new policy with the GS. I did lose all my zero deductibles due to the new policy.
        1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
          I pay
          $190 for my 1980 gs750e (liability 2 million)
          $215 for my 1983 gs750e (liability 2 million)
          $245 for my 1980 gs1000s (liability 2 million)
          $1400 for my 2012 K1300R ((liability 2 million collision, theft etc)
          $800 for my 2020 DR650 (liability 2 million plus collision and theft)

With these policies I also get roadside assistance...which includes, among other things hotel and a flight home.
          All my bikes are insured 12 months.
          I will be adding the new 2022 gsxs1000gt this year as well as the 1982 1100e I recently bought.
          Yep...it's a lot....lol....but it's why I work.
          Just for comparison Trevor, your 2012 K1300R is Saskatchewan is $3300.00 per year with the same coverage. A good driving record would save you $700.00 , a year. Motorcycle insurance is crazy expensive here. In Sask we have Tort insurance ( meaning you can't sue the other party), I had heard BC maybe was moving toward that type of insurance( supposedly cheaper) My 1990 Sportster is $1500.00 less $250 for good driving record.
          Last edited by RogerW; 01-19-2022, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerW View Post
            Just for comparison Trevor, your 2012 K1300R is Saskatchewan is $3300.00 per year with the same coverage. A good driving record would save you $700.00 , a year. Motorcycle insurance is crazy expensive here. In Sask we have Tort insurance ( meaning you can't sue the other party), I had heard BC maybe was moving toward that type of insurance( supposedly cheaper) My 1990 Sportster is $1500.00 less $250 for good driving record.
            Thanks for your reply...yes we have indeed switched to "no Fault" insurance...we have been getting rebate cheques and lower premiums as a result.
            It's funny that people here complain about Government run insurance...saying "it a monopoly" and we would be better off opening it up to private insurance because they would "compete for our business" and as a result our prices would come down! Lmao!!!
            You just proved that wrong.
            Oh and then there is our awesome collector plate program.
            No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
              Thanks for your reply...yes we have indeed switched to "no Fault" insurance...we have been getting rebate cheques and lower premiums as a result.
              It's funny that people here complain about Government run insurance...saying "it a monopoly" and we would be better off opening it up to private insurance because they would "compete for our business" and as a result our prices would come down! Lmao!!!
              You just proved that wrong.
              Oh and then there is our awesome collector plate program.

1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

We only have Sask Government Insurance here for vehicles, everything is included, no choices. You can buy a package policy for windshields, car rentals, etc through SGI or private. We also have the antique plates from 1987 and older ($100.00 per yr) but they only value your vehicle at $800.00 max(deductible is $800.00 unless you have a package policy or appraisel). I'm looking for another pre 87 Suzuki and selling my sportster. I ride my 95 Dr650 more than my sportster, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerW View Post
                  We only have Sask Government Insurance here for vehicles, everything is included, no choices. You can buy a package policy for windshields, car rentals, etc through SGI or private. We also have the antique plates from 1987 and older ($100.00 per yr) but they only value your vehicle at $800.00 max(deductible is $800.00 unless you have a package policy or appraisel). I'm looking for another pre 87 Suzuki and selling my sportster. I ride my 95 Dr650 more than my sportster, lol.
                  Our Colletor plate program is about 75% discount. No restrictions other you can’t ride it to work. My Cooley is insured at $11,500...the highest they would go without me getting an appraisal
                  No signature

Comment

Details, yes, thats why I included the coverages, click the pic.

$2 million on each bike is excessive but your choice, I ride year round, ridden every month for 10 years

Comment

Working...
                    X