No announcement yet.

Piston circlip took a walk! GS1100E, ever seen? No visible damage to cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piston circlip took a walk! GS1100E, ever seen? No visible damage to cylinder

I decided to yank the motor out of my parts bike '82 GS1100E, and see if I could figure out the loud whining noise it was making. Before pulling I checked cam chain, ignition area, clutch and starter clutch/stator areas to see if I could see anything there, but it all looked fine. Out came the motor and off came the top end.

I found this on the #1 piston outside circlip. The undamaged circlip was in there, in the correct slot. I can't find any damage to the cylinder wall or anywhere else. The whole top end looks quite good apart from this, no galled threads or score marks on journals etc.

Judging on the overall lack of evidence of any damages to screw and bolt heads and general condition, it could be a motor that never was apart, but who knows, I have no history. It would seem to be an assembly error that isn't likely at the factory though (my guessing). No idea if this caused the whining as it's off and isn't going back together.

I'll be selling all or part of the complete top end (cheap!), am wondering what else I can look for to ascertain any damage it might have caused, but I'm not going to dive into the bottom end. I didn't find any metal shards when I first got the bike and changed the oil and filter.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 01-19-2022, 03:40 PM.
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Seen similar to that a few times .
    The only apparent cause being a weakened/loose circlip that moves around and works the groove larger .
    Not suprising given the jiggling it gets during the millions of strokes the piston has gone through.
    Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
    VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

What color, and condition is the fuel tank in?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I'll PM you, I do recall you asking about it.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Thanks. I have only taken apart a few engines, some I even got running again!

Originally posted by zed1015 View Post
          Seen similar to that a few times .
          The only apparent cause being a weakened/loose circlip that moves around and works the groove larger .
          Not suprising given the jiggling it gets during the millions of strokes the piston has gone through.
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
          X