Pesky and stuck pilot air jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pesky and stuck pilot air jets

Maybe this has been repeated over and over on the forum, but I had trouble finding an answer, so in case someone is ever struggling with those deeply recessed but narrow pilot air jets, this is what worked for me...

I used a Dremel to grind the sides down on one of the bits from my impact driver (the $10 one from Harbor Freight). A bench grinder would have been better, but it didn't take long with the Dremel. This resulted in a snug fit. After warming up the area a bit with a heat gun, the jets each came out with a couple smacks of the hammer. I was very happy not to resort to drilling!
    Drew

1981 GS650L (one step at a time...lots to do)
    1994 Honda Shadow VLX (for sale in spring)
    2011 Suzuki DL650

Glad that method worked out for you, Drew.
    I would have also added a generous amount of penetrating lubricant. PB Blaster or Kroil have worked for me.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The air jets don't gunk up. I'd leave them in place if they don't come out easily.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah - I didn't mention PB Blaster, but that was the first thing I tried...multiple shots.

Good to know they don't absolutely need to come out in the future. They did look pretty clean compared to everything else.
        Drew

1981 GS650L (one step at a time...lots to do)
        1994 Honda Shadow VLX (for sale in spring)
        2011 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I have never had the air jets not come out. Pilot jets and mixture screws, sure, but not the air jets.
          If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by martinlucas
            The best way to deal with a pesky pilot air jet is to first locate it. It is the most common air jet to get clogged and prevent your toilet from refilling..
            Again, I don't think we're discussing toilets.

Martin, you some sorta bot?
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post

Again, I don't think we're discussing toilets.

Martin, you some sorta bot?
              Bingo on that. (more characters)
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by martinlucas
                The best way to deal with a pesky pilot air jet is to first locate it. It is the most common air jet to get clogged and prevent your toilet from refilling. The problem with fixing it is that it is generally buried in the bowl, so you'll need to reach in there and find it! You can use a flashlight to help you identify it. Once you've located it, you can try to clean it with a pin, or a toothpick. If it is clogged with a large piece of debris, you may have to remove it with pliers.
                You can fish around in the toilet bowl if you like, but maybe bots like that sort of thing.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                X