Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS650L - grind rim's inner lip down to mount tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650L - grind rim's inner lip down to mount tire?

Trying to mount Shinko 712's on the cast rims of a 1983 GS650L. The front went on OK, but the shop cannot get the tire to seat on the rear wheel, even with 100 psi and straps, and multiple attempts and different tire positions. Apparently the tires won't go over the small inner lip meant to keep the bead in pace. The mechanic is suggesting that I grind down the lip in roughly 1/3 of the rim (120 degrees, or 2pi/3 radians if you prefer). This would provide a little give and the tire *should* then mount.

I did search via Google, but no threads became apparent.

Should I ...
    - Grind down the lip as suggested?
    - Get a different tire (not trying to start tire discussion)?
    - Go to a different shop to see if they have any luck?
    - Something else?

Pic for reference
    PXL_20220122_220336347.jpg
    Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Must be that tyre that's an outlier. Take it back.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

sweet baby jesus no
      get a new tire
      and a new "mechanic"
      what kind of bloody moron would suggest such a thing?
      If the tire is the correct size it will mount
      Bias ply are stiffer maybe they are not used to working with them.
      Different tire positions? how is that even a thing? there is a heavy spot that need to be oriented and a tire is uniformly circular.
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I'd take it to a different shop or get another tyre.
        That small lip won't stop the correct size tyre from seating and you shouldn't grind it down.
        Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
        VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Are you using real deal tire lube? Not dish soap, tire lube. Also, you need to clean the crud off the rim.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Never heard of such a thing. I couldn't say what the problem is, but can't believe grinding on the rim would ever be talked, or even thought about. Just my opinion, if the tire goes on the wheel, over the outer edges, it will go over this little lip...But I haven't seen it.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Maybe the rubber is harder from sitting on a shelf for a few years. Is the manufacture date recent?
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                Maybe the rubber is harder from sitting on a shelf for a few years. Is the manufacture date recent?
                The tire is relatively new, date code from 2021. That's the first thing I check for any tire I buy
                Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

thanks all for the input. I have used this same tire model on a Honda Comstar rim which also has that lip, so it can be done, assuming all mfrs use the same dims.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Are you using real deal tire lube? Not dish soap, tire lube. Also, you need to clean the crud off the rim.
                    Mechanic mentioned using grease, perhaps lithium, not sure about real deal tire lube.

Comment

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post
                      Mechanic mentioned using grease, perhaps lithium, not sure about real deal tire lube.
                      That's enough to raise alarm flags immediately.
                      Never use ordinary grease to mount a tyre.
                      If he's not got the proper tyre soap, find another shop. Tyre soap isn't expensive, and if he's in any way mounting tyres regularly, he should have the proper stuff.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post
                        The tire is relatively new, date code from 2021. That's the first thing I check for any tire I buy
                        Yes, of course. Someone has to be captain obvious though...

FWIW, my wheels have that lip too and the Shinko 712's have gone over it without too much fuss. Warming them up really helps.

A side note, a little Ru-Glyde and green scotch brite pad helps clean the crud off the inside of the wheel.
                        Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A
                        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Are you sure the one who mentioned using lithium grease on a tire & grinding the ridge off the wheel is a mechanic??? I don't think I know one who would say that...But strange things do happen.
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                            Are you sure the one who mentioned using lithium grease on a tire & grinding the ridge off the wheel is a mechanic??? I don't think I know one who would say that...But strange things do happen.
                            Honestly, I don't recall exactly what type of grease he mentioned, but the grinding part was very clear.

I'll clean up the wheel then try a diff shop to mount it, or maybe get a set of tire irons and try myself. Or maybe try the gorilla tape method described here ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr0ZIp1iXoc
                            Last edited by sacruickshank; 01-23-2022, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                              Yes, of course. Someone has to be captain obvious though...

FWIW, my wheels have that lip too and the Shinko 712's have gone over it without too much fuss. Warming them up really helps.

A side note, a little Ru-Glyde and green scotch brite pad helps clean the crud off the inside of the wheel.
                              Yep, I play the Capt. Obvious role occasionally as well. I have a variety of abrasives that I'll use on the wheel today.

Comment

Working...
                              X