Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS650L - grind rim's inner lip down to mount tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mechanic (Frank Davis of Powerhouse) said what I knew innately when I wanted to put Bridgestone 'Battleaxe' tires on my 11E: the wheels were not designed for that tire, and visa versa.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      My mechanic (Frank Davis of Powerhouse) said what I knew innately when I wanted to put Bridgestone 'Battleaxe' tires on my 11E: the wheels were not designed for that tire, and visa versa.
      The Battlax BT45 and BT46 ARE excellent tires for GS's.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

here's a pic of the cleaned up rim, done with a combination of flap wheel sandpaper, wire wheels, scotchbrite w/ PB blaster penetrant, and scraping inner corners with flat head screwdriver. Not perfect, but better than before. Now to try to gorilla tape tire mounting method. If not, off to harbor freight to buy some tire spoons.
        PXL_20220123_150448984.jpg
        Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

In a few decades of changing many many motorcycle tires by hand, I've had exactly one defective tire. It mounted OK, but the wires in the bead were twisted and it would not seal. The retailer was quite gracious about replacing it once I managed to get a picture that showed the problem (it's hard to take a picture of a defect in a matte black object).

Anyway, either the tire is defective and/or the installer is an idiot. It's dead certain that the latter is true: the installer is a dangerous idiot. However, both could be true as well; the tire could be defective.

I think the big danger here is that the nitwit "mekanik" has damaged the tire, so there may be no way of determining whether the tire was defective in the first place, or whether it's still safe to use.

Honestly, I would, 100%, throw that tire out and start over with a fresh tire, mounting it myself, or finding someone who's not a blithering idiot. It's not an expensive tire, and it would be well worth the $70 or so for peace of mind. I absolutely do NOT take chances with motorcycle tires.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

I think the big danger here is that the nitwit "mekanik" has damaged the tire, so there may be no way of determining whether the tire was defective in the first place, or whether it's still safe to use.

Honestly, I would, 100%, throw that tire out and start over
            Thanks for the comment about tire damage. The outer bead surface looks good, but there is about a 1" damaged section on the bead's inner wall that is either due mfg defect or installation abuse. I don't know which as I didn't inspect the tire that closely on arrival. See pic below for the damaged section. I suspect this would only reinforce your "chuck it and start over" recommendation.
            PXL_20220123_160930496.jpg
            Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post
              here's a pic of the cleaned up rim, done with a combination of flap wheel sandpaper, wire wheels, scotchbrite w/ PB blaster penetrant, and scraping inner corners with flat head screwdriver. Not perfect, but better than before. Now to try to gorilla tape tire mounting method. If not, off to harbor freight to buy some tire spoons.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]63803[/ATTACH]
              While you're out getting Tire Irons, stop by Napa and pick up some "RU-Glide".

I use to be a Dish Soap guy. But then I became a little older and a little wiser. (believe it or not)
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Two things to mention here. First, your cleaning of the wheel looks fantastic. Second, the YouTube video showing the gorilla tape was good as well.
                I've never used gorilla tape on tires, but I have done the same easy mounting by using large (24") zip ties.

Bottom line is use whatever works best for you and definitely find yourself a different/better mechanic.

If you're going to continue riding motorcycles then you better learn how to mount and balance the tires.
                Only then will you have the confidence of knowing it's done right and the satisfaction of knowing you learned it right here from the GSResources.
                Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                  .................Only then will you have the confidence of knowing it's done right and the satisfaction of knowing you learned it right here from the GSResources.
                  That looks like a good line for a signature, Larry.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                    While you're out getting Tire Irons, stop by Napa and pick up some "RU-Glide".

I use to be a Dish Soap guy. But then I became a little older and a little wiser. (believe it or not)
                    If you've ever used Ru-Glide, you'll keep the dish soap in the kitchen! Also, dish soap has a "LOT" of salt in it, to soften the dishwater, and it can corrode your wheel over time!
                    Ron
                    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                      That looks like a good line for a signature, Larry.
                      Feel free to use it Roger.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
                        If you've ever used Ru-Glide, you'll keep the dish soap in the kitchen! Also, dish soap has a "LOT" of salt in it, to soften the dishwater, and it can corrode your wheel over time!
                        true horrible corrosion when using dishsoap.
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post
                          Thanks for the comment about tire damage. The outer bead surface looks good, but there is about a 1" damaged section on the bead's inner wall that is either due mfg defect or installation abuse. I don't know which as I didn't inspect the tire that closely on arrival. See pic below for the damaged section. I suspect this would only reinforce your "chuck it and start over" recommendation.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]63804[/ATTACH]
                          my friend tried his hand at tire changing as hes a cheap bastard.
                          I told him to get tire lube but he used generic window cleaner. Not windex no too expensive.
                          ruined his tire but did not break the rim which is amazing.
                          again ill ask is it cold where you are trying to mount the tire? if so get it up to 80 degrees or so
                          alos that bit of damage loos minor but it would not have left the factory with that mark
                          and it may be hiding damaged bead wire
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                            Two things to mention here. First, your cleaning of the wheel looks fantastic. Second, the YouTube video showing the gorilla tape was good as well.
                            I've never used gorilla tape on tires, but I have done the same easy mounting by using large (24") zip ties.

Bottom line is use whatever works best for you and definitely find yourself a different/better mechanic.

If you're going to continue riding motorcycles then you better learn how to mount and balance the tires.
                            Only then will you have the confidence of knowing it's done right and the satisfaction of knowing you learned it right here from the GSResources.
                            The gorilla tape method did not work for me. The Shinko sidewall was pretty strong didn't compress enough for me to get them over the rim wall.

Re: "continue riding" at this point I've resurrected ~two dozen bikes over the last five years, doing all the carb work, brakes, etc., but tire swapping has been the one thing I still farm out. I'm a decent wrench, but still learn new things with every project. I had a reliable and well priced tire mechanic that I used for most of those, but they are 1:20 away as opposed to the most recent guy, who is 20 minutes away, a little more expensive, and it turns out less reliable.

Re: the temp mentioned by others, I'm in MA and it's cold so I heated up the tire using the space heater from my garage.
                            Last edited by sacruickshank; 01-23-2022, 03:41 PM.

Comment

new tire, tire spoons, and RU Glyde now on order. I'll give the DIY method a chance this time around.

I went with a Kenda Cruz, which I've used on other bikes. I'm sure the Shinko 712 would have been fine (I already have them on three other bikes: GL500, GL1100, GS550T), but emotionally I didn't want to buy a second one exactly like the first. I realize mixing front&rear tires isn't preferred, but this bike won't be ridden aggressively.
                              Last edited by sacruickshank; 01-24-2022, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Warming the tire can help.

Comment

Working...
                                X