Brown County Rally Thank You Gift to Jay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown County Rally Thank You Gift to Jay

As I mentioned in the Brown County Rally thread, I'd like to present a thank you gift to Jay - a friend, great host, and manager of the Rosemount Motel - for his support over the last 14 years. After thinking to make a clock with pictures from the various years we have been there, I developed the following two designs. So, may I please get your preference as to what I should try to work on?

My first thought was to tie it into the Rosemount Motel itself. Please understand what is depicted here is a basic representation and restricted by the way Sketchup works; there will be more refinement in the actual product especially in the front tower portion.

The Original Rosemount:

rosemountmotel_indiana-scaled by Scott Baker, on Flickr

My Design (not depicted on this will be the thank you plaque):

Brown County Clock Design 2 by Scott Baker, on Flickr

This second design is one I have had sitting around and wanted to make.

Brown County Clock Design by Scott Baker, on Flickr

I will start on this around April at the latest so if you have pictures from any Brown County Rally between 2009 and 2021, please send them to me via email (cowboyup3371@yahoo.com) or reply here and I'll download them to my system
    Design 1 Depicting the Rosemount Motel
    100.00%
    Design 2 of a Basic Clock
    0%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by cowboyup3371; 01-23-2022, 12:34 PM.
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Thanks for doing this for us.

Intersting idea to have it replicate the shape of the original building.
    THe cylindrical portion then does loose area for mounting pics.

I would say you decide based on your schedule and difficultys involved.
    Last edited by Redman; 01-24-2022, 12:04 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

< < d e l e t e > >
      Last edited by Redman; 01-24-2022, 03:10 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I'm kinda partial to the first design, even though it's probably a little harder to make. I like the idea that we're part of the history of the place.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks all; I already started working on creating more detailed plans for the first design as it seems that's the way I'm going. Now to learn how to use a program for designing the scroll work for the motorcycles and working out the picture collages once folks can get them to me (already have a couple from MarvinSC, Redman, and you Brian). Oh, and I bought the clock tonight
          sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Hey Scott, how ever much you have invested in material. I'd gladly chip in to cover your costs. 👍
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
              Hey Scott, how ever much you have invested in material. I'd gladly chip in to cover your costs. ��
              Although I will not ask for it, donations would be very welcome for whatever amount you choose to do. I don’t use PayPal for receiving money so anyone wanting to contribute can contact me privately for my address.
              sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

What a beautiful old building was it stone or concrete with facings?
                Is it still there?
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                  What a beautiful old building was it stone or concrete with facings?
                  Is it still there?
                  I believe it was made out of stone. The pictures I took this past summer came out pretty poorly for my liking but here's one from the interwebs of it's current state:

Untitled by Scott Baker, on Flickr
                  sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Bedford is the "Limestone Capital of the World", and the historic parts of the Rosemount, and many other local buildings, are made of limestone blocks quarried nearby.

Indiana limestone has been used the world over, and limestone quarries are still a major business in this part of Indiana.

As one example, Union Station in Kansas City was built with Indiana limestone
                    Union Station Kansas City has stood as a pillar in the community for over 100 years. Learn more about the building, our programs, & more!

Inside the building out of the weather, the limestone has aged to an absolutely gorgeous blonde color.

More: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Limestone

Without cleaning, limestone accumulates dirt and slowly deteriorates. Indiana limestone is known for being harder, less porous, and more resistant to deterioration than other types. When historic buildings are finally cleaned, the effect is stunning.

It's sad that some of the limestone exterior at the Rosemount is covered with vinyl siding. But the lions are still there...
                    Last edited by bwringer; 01-27-2022, 12:37 PM.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      Bedford is the "Limestone Capital of the World", and the historic parts of the Rosemount, and many other local buildings, are made of limestone blocks quarried nearby.
                      When I was gong to school in Indiana the name of the Bedford High School sports teams was Stonecutters. That was true up until the 1970e when a new school replaced it and took a different name.

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                      80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Hey Don, do you have any pictures of past rallies you would care to share with me?
                        sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                        X