What clutch kit to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What clutch kit to buy

So my clutch is still slipping, it was barely happening for the most part but now it's just way too common again to be fixed by an adjustment, ofcourse I tried doing that again but it just doesn't get it right, I can get it to slip pretty easy and I don't want to risk screwing anything else up. So I must ask, what kit should I buy for my bike?

There's big plans for the Suzuki as soon as I sell the Yamaha, originally I wanted to have two bikes, a twin and a 4 cylinder but if I'm honest I just want a bike I can basically set and forget, for the most part I can do that with the Suzuki but small things keep happening which is expected but also it just looks and feels tired.

I know people have said multiple times the 650 and especially the shaft model are not the bike to modify but this isn't just a 650 it's my first bike and what I've learned on, I'm planning on doing a rebuild on the motor aswell as doing the bore kit, an intake, and replacing the valve springs, while the motor is off I plan on going through the whole bike basically, any bearings I can grease or replace, any seals I can replace, any wires I can get rid of or reroute to clean it up, and ofcourse painting the frame and also tank and fairings.

I have plans of what colour I'm gonna use and I also know the base of the project, which is cleaning it up completely and making sure all is in order and not going out anytime soon, making sure everything mechanical is nothing less of perfect so the only thing I have to do is just let the bike warm up and I'm good to go.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Have you removed the the clutch pack and inspected and measured the plates?
    Also what's the mileage on this thing? I flogged the crap outta my 550 to the point in drag racing its plates would stick together for several seconds
    A frightening thing. But they are still in spec ( barely on last check ) and 30 000 plus hard sudden stop and go miles on em.

Your plates may simply be glazed and easily fixed by using wet sanding on a sheet off glass. You tube it as its simple but tedious to describe in words.

I think in your other thread someone mentions EBC as a good aftermarket supplier.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

No never inspected them, bike has about 31k miles on it. I ride pretty normal once I'm up to speed but my bike definitely takes it's abuse.

I'll have to check them out

Also, does anyone know the compression number these things came out with new? Did these have 200psi or lower
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Also I'm gonna have to learn how to remove the clutch pack as I've never fooled with any of the clutch at all
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
          Also I'm gonna have to learn how to remove the clutch pack as I've never fooled with any of the clutch at all
          The clutch pack is easy to access if it has screws instead of bolts a cheap manual impact driver will get the cover off.
          I have rarely saved a gasket from tearing so youd want one on hand to replace the original during reassembly.

once inside its 6 bolts loosened in sequence to access the plates
          plates out use a caliper to measure thickness etc.and feeler gauge for warpage
          thats all in the OEM manual 3-47
          theres is also a test for the springs to see if they have not weakened.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Likely just needs adjusting properly (not at the handlebar) or the springs are knackered.
            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

i was thinking springs or something else as the clutch engagement point is very close to the bars and for a short bit i was not having any slippage once bike was fully warm, my clutch is very easy to pull in, more than it probably should.
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Oem clutch is good but EBC does a replacement kit which is fine although I would recommend you inspect and measure
                before buying, getting a new set of springs would not go amiss as they are relatively cheap but do not be tempteted to buy heavy duty springs. (Ask me how I know)
                my gs has done 50000 miles and the clutch friction plates were we'll within spec but the springs had shortened when measuring using the data in the workshop manual.
                The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                past bikes. RF900
                TL1000s
                Hayabusa
                gsx 750f x2
                197cc Francis Barnett
                various British nails

Comment

saw how im gonna be working with the clutch area, and well i think this rebuild is gonna happen sooner than i expected, ive already taken everything else off before except the head and lower, but ive rebult a few motors already and done all the types of measurements you can do when rebulding a motor, havent had any issue with that so im very confident in the rebuild.
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

hey so something i forgot to add, this may just give more evidence that its clutch springs or somehting else, but its extremely hard to get first into second until its really warm, like atleast 15 minutes of riding. figured id add that incase that shows anything else.
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

hey so something i forgot to add, this may just give more evidence that its clutch springs or somehting else, but its extremely hard to get first into second until its really warm, like atleast 15 minutes of riding. figured id add that incase that shows anything else.
                      Hard to shift like this suggests either a poorly adjusted clutch, or warped plates.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Is this your daily drive? get a gasket and open it up and check
                        HF caliper and feeler gauges and a sheet of glass. sheesh
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

havent been using much since the cold, whats the glass for?
                          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

havent been using much since the cold, whats the glass for?
                            Its supposedly the flattest thing in a normal house.
                            1983 GS 550 LD
                            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I's lucky, I abused my old GS1100E bad for more than 50K mi. Never had a worn out nor warped clutch pate. I've busted hubs, broke & cracked several fiber plates & flattened all the tangs that push on the clutch hub, turned the steels blue & purple, replaced the springs, but never remember a "worn out" plate. Put some "Slick 50" additive in bike once that made the clutch slip very bad till I drained & flushed the crank case a few times then it was back to normal.
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X