Can I do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I do it?

I always kept my "M" endorsement with the intention of getting back to riding. At 53 and a 30+ year layoff I'm finally getting back to it. I bought a 1980 GS 750L, same as the the bike I had all those years ago. Some days I think it was a crazy thing to do. What was I thinking? Other days I feel confident. It's winter here in NJ, ice everywhere, the bike is in the garage. I'm going to be replacing all the fluids. I've been ordering things like oil/air filters etc... It's just too cold to do all the general maintenance right now. I've taken a ride around my neighborhood a few times in the fall but have not ventured out onto main roads. I'm very rusty. Been watching youtube videos on basic riding. I'm scheduled for a riders safety course in early April and then plan to take the intermediate course after that. I decided to approach this like I never rode a bike before.

Can I do it?

sigpic
    1980 GS750L

Of course you can.
    Motorcycling is always at odds with conformity and common sense.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Welcome back Pete. You're doing it right.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Welcome back Pete, I was out for appx. 12 or 15 yrs. Very nervous when I got back on. It didn't take long till most everything came back. Almost everything, back in the day wide open most of the time, ain't doing like that any more, just enjoying riding reasonable...Enjoy yourself.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Welcome back! I was out of riding for 27 years before I bought my 750e just over ten years ago....250,000kms later and about 20 bikes....lol. Good for you for signing up for the course!
          No signature

Comment

Can you? It seems to me that you are. A bike in the garage, maintenance planned, rider courses planned, and studying videos.
            Lucky for for you to be in a great part of the state for riding.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Pete, Welcome to TheGSR.

Yes, you can do it.
              Doesnt take too much to let out the clutch, shift gears and get going down the road.
              Problem is that need to be prepared to do lot more than that.

Originally posted by Pete Wrigley View Post
              I'm scheduled for a riders safety course in early April . . . . . . . . . .. I decided to approach this like I never rode a bike before.
              ... and that is exactly what I was going to suggest.

Other suggestion is that we need to see pics of the bike.

Also, tell us if you are intneding for local short rides, . . . . or if are intending for day long rides.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I plan to ride local, this area of NJ has some nice back roads. Right now I think I have a bit of cabin fever .

BIKE.jpg

sigpic
                1980 GS750L

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                  Of course you can.
                  Motorcycling is always at odds with conformity and common sense.

LOL.

Thanks .

sigpic
                  1980 GS750L

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    Lucky for for you to be in a great part of the state for riding.
                    I'll have to ride up to High Point and get some pictures up there.

sigpic
                    1980 GS750L

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I plan to ride local, this area of NJ has some nice back roads. Right now I think I have a bit of cabin fever .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63806[/ATTACH]
                      An almost pristine example so very clean.
                      Thats the cleanest engine ive seen on such and old bike it must have been stripped and polished.
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Overall it is a clean bike. 12K miles. I haven't done much to it since picking it up in October. Just don't look at the front of the engine. It has a weeping head gasket, not bad. I'll try torqueing it and go from there.

sigpic
                        1980 GS750L

Comment

Thanks for pic.

Looks great, stock condition.

Local rides might be okay. (for those L bars).

Just like you had 30+ years ago. Great find. Do tell us more of your adventures.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I was away for 30 years my brother was away for 40, just adjust for your age ride like a grampa not like you did at 20 and remember the basic rule, Assume every cager an idiot and legally blind.
                            1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

Local rides might be okay. (for those L bars).

Just like you had 30+ years ago. Great find. Do tell us more of your adventures.

I ordered a set of EMGO,Chrome 7/8 in. Wide Magna Style Handlebar - 23-12565. Should change the riding position a bit and give better control. Doesn't look like the cables will need much adjustment if any.

sigpic
                              1980 GS750L

Comment

Working...
                              X