my regulator modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My regulator modification

For a GS550E a Honda CB250/400N (Superdream) reg/reg works pefectly,had one for years and the alternator is original.
    Wire as follows:yellow to yellow;
    yellow to white/red;
    yellow to white/blue;
    red/white to red;
    black to orange;
    green to earth(ground).
    It has a nice big heat sink and doesn't seem to run as hot as the original Suzuki part.

Comment

Yes, just a note about that additional black wire. It HAS to be hooked up to a +12v source. If you don't hook it up, the voltage will swing way too high. Mine did, anyhow. It was putting out 17-18 volts without the black wire hooked up, but went down to 14 with.

Comment

The RR you guys are talking about is the Shindengen SH232-12

Steve

Comment

R/R

Mine was from a 650 Shadow a Shindengen SH535A-12 6.1.
          The wiring was a little different, 3 yellow wires one to each of the stator wires, red to +12V, black to -12V, orange to switched +12V....Mike

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
            The RR you guys are talking about is the Shindengen SH232-12

Steve
            Yup! That's the puppy! 8)
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

8O
              Choices, choices, choices!!!

Suzy is a sensible 1100, what do you guys recommend as the best option?
              Will the 400-500 R/Rs give enough charge?

Never know they might even work for my GL1200 - same problem, slower bike.

Col

Comment

Would this work on my 450?

I'm just looking to make her as reliable as possible.

Comment

so does any other maker (kaw, honda, etc) work, just as long as it ain't a suzuki?? and what if it was from a 1000 instead of a 400, would they all be the same or do they differ by enough to matter?

hope someone is still listening to this post...

how about a SH238-12??

Comment

Me too.

Comment

the SH238-12 is the way to go, whilst getting one from a "boneyard" is cheaper it is still an old part, I prefer to fit new parts, and hence recommend the new one.
                      Dink

Comment

So what's an SH238-12?

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike
                          So what's an SH238-12?
                          From a Google search, that looks like it's from a Honda CX500.

Comment

It is a Shindogen brand Rectifier/regulater.
                            Dink

Comment

There seems to be a lot of confusion going on with the Honda R/R's and their numbers. Different R/R numbers show up on the same bikes and vice-versa by the looks of it. It looks like you can't reliably go by a lot of the numbers but what you are looking for is one that has the capacity to handle your charging needs. Many of the older Honda R/R's from the 400's on up will work. What you are looking for is that you have the three yellow wires coming from the R/R for the stator connections, a wire (mine was green and had two, some are black) for the ground and/or negative to the battery, a wire (mine was red and had two) for the positive battery connection and sometimes a smaller gauge wire (mine was black, some are brown) that goes to a switched positive 12V source. If it has this extra small gauge wire it must be hooked up. Mine was a SH538-12 from a Honda GL500 Silverwing which is probably a heavier duty regulator than the standard ones and why it probably had the extra ground and positive wires. If you're not confused enough already there is more info and a wiring diagram available by doing a search for "choosing a honda r/r"
                              Try here for the wiring diagrams ftp://ftp.dimensional.com/users/gizmo42/
                              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

well I got it, it's from an '82 yamaha, and I paid eight bucks with shipping! I figured for that I could use it for a paperweight if it doesn't work for me!!
                                eBay

I'll have to wait till it stops raining to test everything, as I realized the voltmeter that I found only goes up to 10V, where as the one I lost was better. so I have to ride to work now to use a good one.

Comment

Working...
                                X