Stripping a GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripping a GK

Hey, I've been looking for a big GS for a while now and I just found a gs1100Gk in a shop. I was wondering if you can take all the bags and the fairing off. I like bikes, but if I want a windshield and a trunk I'll take my car.

Re: Stripping a GK

Originally posted by DanGS650
    Hey, I've been looking for a big GS for a while now and I just found a gs1100Gk in a shop. I was wondering if you can take all the bags and the fairing off. I like bikes, but if I want a windshield and a trunk I'll take my car.
    That's a pretty silly last sentence, Dan. I'm a GK owner, and I like the fairing and trunk, essential for protection and storage while traveling. I don't put your preferences down, so don't put down mine. Your tone reveals a "better than thou" attitude. Don't knock fairing and trunk unless you've tried them. I used to ride naked bikes. You've obviously never tried "touring" equipment for any length of time.

Of course you can take off the fairing and trunk. You still need a headlight, fork ears (good luck finding them), and wiring mod, since the GK is a factory tourer.

Try leaving it as it is. It's a wonderful traveling motorcycle.

Nick

Comment

Sorry about that, I guess that was a little stupid sounding. Thanks for replying even though I was an ass. I dont doubt that the fairing and the bags area great touring accesory, but most of my riding, so far anyway, is short distance, and I would think it would alter the bikes balance under hard riding conditions. Once again, let me appologize for speaking knocking it before I've tried it.

Comment

I have done exactly what you are wanting to do. The wiring mod that Nick talks about is not that difficult. The headlight mod is a little more time consuming, as Suzuki never built headlight mounting ears for the 41mm forks. I used the 1100G units and used a tailpipe expander to stretch them from 39mm to 41mm. I got a chrome headlight from Ebay and the rest is history.

Oh, by the way, taking 100 lbs off of the bike has turned it into a rocket.

GTSG01 (Jack)
        1982 GS1100G minus the K

Comment

Originally posted by gtsg01
          I have done exactly what you are wanting to do. The wiring mod that Nick talks about is not that difficult. The headlight mod is a little more time consuming, as Suzuki never built headlight mounting ears for the 41mm forks. I used the 1100G units and used a tailpipe expander to stretch them from 39mm to 41mm. I got a chrome headlight from Ebay and the rest is history.

Oh, by the way, taking 100 lbs off of the bike has turned it into a rocket.

GTSG01 (Jack)
          1982 GS1100G minus the K

I can imagine my GK without touring equipment. He's fast right now with all of it on, so without it, he must be a rocketship indeed.

Still, I'm a wimp; I like the fairing. Too many years with wind burning my face and bugs filling my teeth...

Nick

Comment

Found out some more about the bike I was looking at. Turns out that someone had a fairing and the bags put on, they dont fit right. That's why I thought the bike looked so bad. It's also leaking a lot of oil and the front forks look bent, so I dont think that I will be looking at it anymore. It's nice to know that some dealers wont fix a bike before they sell it to you. Oh well, guess I will just have to keep looking.

Comment

Working...
            X