side panels for GS1100E/repair of same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

side panels for GS1100E/repair of same?

Once again I come here for my answers. I am a proud owner of a 1983 GS1100E. I picked "her" up 2 weeks ago in Keene,NH. As a past owner of a 1982 KZ1000J, I can gladly say that she DEFINATELY has much more power. But,alas, the 1 thing that has gone wrong are that my 19 year old side covers are missing their pins.
    Is anyone aware of either a repair or replacement source out there,somewhere? I keep a daily watch on the internet and haven't found much yet.
    Thanks for the help in advance..
    :roll: 8) __________________________________________________ ___________Riding in VT while summer is here
    1983 GS1100E with only 24k. YEAH!!!!!!!
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

This is what I did. First I tried regluing the original plastic pin back on. It broke as soon as I hung the cover back on the bike. I had enough of the "beefed" up area left over, so next I tried drilling a very small starter hole and gently screwed in a sheet metal screw of the correct length and head size (head just goes through rubber gromet and holds tight). This vibrated out during a ride to Fort Bragg (North Coast of CA). So I reinstalled another screw and used JB Weld to hold it in place. Has held in place very well for the last 8 months. The important thing is to have enough material behind your cover (where the old pin was attached) to put a screw in without breaking the front surface. Good luck.

Comment

For replacement you can go to your local Suzuki dealer. They no longer come in colors and do not include the decals. I've been quoted both $60 and $80 for an 82 GS1100E, so don't know for sure about price. (My daughter has a part-time job at a dealers and I got mine for $40).

If you do have the original pieces still, look for a post in this forum on May 28, 2002 by katt68. (or do a search for broken side cover post). There's several suggestions in there.

Also, there currently are some on E-Bay, not sure if they're 82 or 83, but in the description they do say some of the posts are missing. If it's not the same ones as you're missing you might be able to do a transplant?!?

Good Luck.

Comment

pin repair

"Modeling Plastic" from Shephard Hardware....melt in microwave, stick a gob on the site of the original pin and mould into shape with your fingers and then a dremel tool. If it doesn't stick the first time melt the back side of the side cover with a soldering iron (gently) then reapply the modelling plastic. I formed all three of the pins on both my plastic gs sidecovers this way and they are hard and solid.

Comment

Re: pin repair

Originally posted by silverhorse47
          "Modeling Plastic" from Shephard Hardware....melt in microwave, stick a gob on the site of the original pin and mould into shape with your fingers and then a dremel tool. If it doesn't stick the first time melt the back side of the side cover with a soldering iron (gently) then reapply the modelling plastic. I formed all three of the pins on both my plastic gs sidecovers this way and they are hard and solid.
          ALSO BRACE THE PINS WITH JB WELD--THE STUFF WORKS WELL IF YOU ARE WILLING TO MAKE 2 OR 3 APPLICATIONS - I USED IT TO REPAIR PINS ON MY TAIL SECTION AND HAVE RE INFORCED THE UNBROKEN PINS ON MY SIDE COVERS WITH IT--A TRICK THAT THE GUYS AT THE BONE YARD SHOWS ME WAS TO FILE THE PINS A BIT TO REMOVE SOME OF THE MATERIAL THAT HOLDS THE COVER TIGHT--THEY USUALLY GRAB WAY TOO MUCH--I ALSO SPRAY THE RUBER WITH WD40

Comment

Working...
          X