No announcement yet.

How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did 115 on my '78 GS 400. But, While I was slowing down to the speed limit (65) I was pulled over at 82mph

Comment

Matt, it sounds like you were lucky. At least you didn't get nailed for the 115!

Comment

Have done 115 on it (yesterday), but I'm still getting the carbs more right and need less wind to really let it stretch out.

Comment

that's the 1 thing I do enjoy about this town....all of the police are out tryin' to nab aall the street racing hondas, they pay no mind to bikers, plus there are a lot of long straight roads around here...the fastest i had my 78 gs750 up to so far was about 130 m.p.h. I was trying to watch the road and the speedo @ the same time

Comment

Boy. Some of these claimed top speeds are wishful thinking. Maybe down a 10% grade. Funny to read though.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Nahhh Keith, the Teddy Bear really will turn an honest 130.

Earl :-) :-)

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
              Boy. Some of these claimed top speeds are wishful thinking. Maybe down a 10% grade. Funny to read though.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

We had so many arguements over hayabusa top speeds we finally did two things. Speed gun and GPS`s. It takes a real good running bike to really go above 180. Riders have a almost unbelievable impact on top speeds. I have seen the same bike go 20 mph faster by only a rider switch. My hayabusa was a good example. My fat ass couldn`t get down under the windscreen enough. I`m alive because I quit. That top speed stuff is addictive as drugs.

Comment

I did 105 mph on my GS850 GL. On a rainy day with front wind. But my carbs need to be balanced. I have stock intake and exhaust on it and no windshield. I have also a 150 tire on the rear wheel making more friction resistance to speed, but give a nice acceleration traction! I will post again when my carbs will be balanced and I will carry a GPS to confirm speed data.

Comment

i had my 83 1100E to about 135 (so the speedo says) felt like i had more power just running low on gears

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor

Earl :-) :-)

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                      No way am I doubting your 1150 or many of the other posts here.
                      Just SOME of the posts.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I haven't been above 200kph for many years. But that was 2 up with camping gear on a long flat boring road....

Comment

I took it up to 85 mph one day on the freeway, but there was a lot of power left. Speed is good, life is better. I like to go home each day and hug the kids and kiss the wife.

Comment

Just last week, I was two up with camping gear and pulling a trailer down a hiking trail at 280 kph.

Earl :-) :-) :-)

Originally posted by saaz
                            I haven't been above 200kph for many years. But that was 2 up with camping gear on a long flat boring road....

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Just pulling your chain for a little fun Keith. :-) :-) The 1150 will do a bit better than that. Although, I've rarely been much above 100 this past year.
                              When the mood strikes me, I find it more enjoyable to wait for a suitable stretch of road, get comfortable and cruise at 100 for 20 miles or so rather than go fast.

Earl

[quote="KEITH KRAUSE"]
                              Originally posted by earlfor

No way am I doubting your 1150 or many of the other posts here.
                              Just SOME of the posts.

Comment

I do like to go fast, but only rarely for top speed. The Richland bypass highway has lots of stoplights so it's fun to hit every one of them and go 0-60 in a hurry.

My 1100 top speed is was recently found to be 103 due to a nasty headshake. And that 103 was found with a bike computer. The stock speed would probably read 115 for that if it didn't peg at 85.

Comment

Working...
                                X