How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speed

With the wind at my back at sea level playing tag with a couple of low-riders thought I stretch out the old girl ,40000 on the bike no rebuilds as far as I know all stock gs1000e 124 mph.. hard to tell ran out of room and stated pulling the arms out of sockets..................... 8) 8) :roll:

Comment

I haven't neen over 160 k/h for some years as I haven't really fine tuned the tyres and suspension as I used to..

But have been up to 220km/h doing a plug test, and sat on 200 km/h on a flat highway for a while - this was 2 up with all the camping gear on tho, no struggle

fast enough to get in trouble I think....

Comment

Theoretical top speed...

Got the formula..I think...for the theoretical top speed of your bike, if you don't take into account things like gravity, wind resitence, the police, etc.

Should be as follows...

{(RPM) x [transmission gear ratio x (front sproket tooth count/rear sprocket tooth count)] x 60 x [3.14 x (diameter of rear wheel in inches/12)]}/5280 = mph

Maybe this would be easier....

A = Front sprocket tooth count/rear sprocket tooth count
        B = rear wheel diameter in inches/12 (this includes the tire, not just the rim)
        C= Transmission Gear Ratio (in top gear obviously) x A
        D = 3.14 x B
        E = RPM x 60 x C x D
        MPH = E/5280

I don't have any idea what tooth count I have, or what gear ratio, or the max RPM off the top of my head, so I made up a bike. Gear ratio is 1 (to simplify things), tooth counts are six front 30 back, and max RPM is 12k, and I have a fat tire 3.5 inch tall tire on a 17 inch rim, giving me a total diameter of 24 inches.
        A = 6/30 = .2
        B = 24/12 = 2
        C = 1 x .2 = .2
        D = 3.14 x 2 = 6.28
        E = 12000 x 60 x .2 x 6.28 = 904320
        MPH = 904320/5280 = 171

Pretty fast bike...haha. Like I said, I think this is the right formula, and seems pretty accurate given my off the cuff example. Adapted it from gocarts and automobiles...anyone care to correct me?

Josh

Comment

130mph according to my buddies VFR as he went by me like a rocket

Comment

That is correct but won't give a real life limit. A couple of the variables not accounted for are:
            Does your bike have enough power to overcome the (amazingly high) drag of a bike? Also, a tires diameter on the side isn't the actual running diameter of the tire. That measurement is a nominal size, wherein there is another measurement (sometimes found on the manufacturers webpage) that lists the actual rolling radius if X tire with P pressure and W weight on it at V speed. The problem with this is the tire grows the faster you go (drag racing (and even RC Cars IME) are very visible).

In the end, its all a rough guestimate. Heck, even if ~160+ were real for my bike, the actual topend would be sooo much lower as i've not the testicular fortitude to test those claims 8O

-=Whittey=-

Comment

Well Whittey, now that you gots yurself a 1100...everybody's gonna tell you......you gotta grow 'em.

(Sitting straight up behind the fairing)
              220kph/135mph and pulling hard Then traffic
              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

how fast?

I once reached 128mph on my 1977 GS 750B...shure fast enough on that bike 8)

Comment

All I know is my speedo ends @85 and thats around 5500 to 6000 RPMs in 5th gear. I've been up to 8000 (and a hair more) in 5th.

Comment

I am not immortal. I got up to 85mph while passing. I like to see the world, not the world see me (on the news). Speed is not what it is about for me. Sorry.

Comment

Darn old 85mph speedometer! I don't want to hurt the innards of the speedo so I have not pegged the needle as yet. But! I have hit about 75 in second gear going for long high reving shifts!!! 8) I know I could go much faster and that's good enough for me!
                      GY

Comment

I kicked a mopeds ass today .

Comment

75/80 in 2nd gear? that sounds nuts. I think my bike would blow up. Granted its smaller(850G) but regardless. I think 55/60 in second on my bike might spell engine failure...

just got it and would like to keep it alive for at least one season

Comment

too fast for John Law's likin!!

OK, is this a *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$in contest?! so be it... when I punch my GS1100G hard in 2nd and wind it to about 7,500 thru the top of 3rd I'm doing about 85 when I shift into 4th... and it don't seem to take but about 5 seconds to go from 25 to 85. that's about as fast as this idiot wants to go in a 55 mph zone. I'm too old to pull many more "watch this's!" Dave :twisted:

Comment

Well I gotto post it
                              bury'd needle at 140mph but just a bit more, still had throtle left, the airspeed's the stopper, feet on the rears, butt on the passenger seat and my chin on the gas cap. wow
                              83 GS650GD 12k on her

Comment

135 on my 83 GS750E. All stock. Still had thottle left. Was amazed at how well she handled at that speed. No shake or anything. I just had to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X