No announcement yet.

How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did 160km/h(100mph) yesterday on my GS750T while passing someone on the highway(two lane, one each way, no median). All the paved roads out here have a limit of 100km/h(60mph) but police wont bother you under 120km/h(75mph). Although there isn't really any police out here.
    I was tootin along at 120km/h and came upon a car so I dropped it into 4th and gave it some throttle up to 8500rpm and switched back to 5th as I passed. By the time I got back into my lane I was up to 160km/h. Wasn't at all scary but I doubt the bike has much more than that in it with me on it (320lbs+).

Tank

Comment

I hit 100 in 4th while passing with a gear and some rpm's to go.

Comment

It's fast. And when I put the dyna ignition on, inadvertently way over advanced, I pulled over 100 in 3rd, with the engine still feeling frisky.
        I'm sure it can fill out the 140 mark, just not with me on it!

Comment

I've had my '78 GS1000 north of 150 in the past. Can't wait to get my refreshing finished so I can run her through her paces. I'm sure it won't do the 170+ that my TLS can (and has done with me on it) but the old girl is a beast.

Comment

anything over 125mph on an old GS is scarey in my book!
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by JATO View Post
              I've had my '78 GS1000 north of 150 in the past. Can't wait to get my refreshing finished so I can run her through her paces. I'm sure it won't do the 170+ that my TLS can (and has done with me on it) but the old girl is a beast.
              Is this in KPH?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

i got my 550 up to 100-105 before i let off idk i bet i could pull 110 115 out of it

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  Is this in KPH?
                  Funny man. I personally have riden with you when both of our bikes read over 135 KPH (Of course)
                  And neither one was anywhere near red-line. LOL!

Eric

Comment

Got my old girl up to 175kph on a couple of 3-4mile long straights on the weekend she still wanted to go on faster but backed off in respect of the two sloppy valve shims.Certainly likes to pull once the revs are up maybe its the 850 yoshi kit

Comment

ive put my 78 750 at about 115 with plenty more rpms than i had nerve.

Comment

'83 1100ES-9200rpm,5th gear,aprox. 145mph: '82 750S-9500rpm 5th gear,aprox. 125 mph.Don't know how accurate the tachs are, that's why I say approximately. Sppedos aren't accurate at either end of the scale,but radar guns are!Both these were at the local (now closed,sadly) track on bikes that were maintained. Fun.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          Is this in KPH?
                          No, I was being paced by a friend on his 1100 Ninja. So, however accurate his speedo was, it indicated 150.

Comment

I remember it well, the day I topped out my '78 GS1000E. It was late spring '79 in Alaska. I had read all the published articles about this supposedly new superbike and what it could do, I decided to see for myself. To that end I oiled my chain, maxed out the air pressure in the tires and front forks, and set-up my suspension for high speed. I had just crossed the first century mark on the odometer, she was now "broken in."
                            I chose the old Seward Highway south of Anchorage because there was a stretch about 5 miles long that was straight and flat. It was getting dusk as I was heading out, I wore tight fitting clothes to help keep the turbulance down. When I got to the area where I wanted to start from there was a truck weigh station and one lone police car sitting there. Now it was getting dark, it was late, the sun really doesn't set that time of year up there, but it was dark enough. The police car finally left and slowly headed back towards Anchorage and I saw his taillights dissapear in the distance, and with no headlights coming I knew I had the road all to myself, no hurry. I took the bike on the road and stopped. I didn't pop the clutch just redlined through the gears wide open throttle. The bike was very fast and it was in no time I had it to where it would not go any faster, I was lying down on the tank holding on for just a little more, it seemed like an eternity, but was probably only about 20 seconds or so. I realized the bike felt extremely light at that speed, which was an indicated 140. I backed off the throttle and slowed down to about 80 where I sat up. After going that fast, now at 80mph it seemed so slow as if I could get off the bike and push it faster. That was the fastest I've ever been on a bike. Now of course I know I wasn't going 140, the speedometer error on these bikes was way on the optimistic side. I probably was going in the neighborhood of 130-135.
                            I now have two bikes that might match it, perhaps someday I'll do it again. But I don't think I'll do it at dusk.

sigpic
                            Steve
                            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

According to the speedo on my 82 750, 85 mph. Which I can just about hit in 3rd gear. And I go 85mph even faster in 4th and 5th on a long straightaway. There's one 4 mile mostly straight stretch near the house that never has traffic, it's great for going 85, until I chicken out, sit up, and coast back down to 85. So no officer, I don't know how fast I was going, but couldn't have been faster than 85.

Comment

130mph within a mile stretch on my '83 750t. She doesn't feel too stable doing it and doesn't climb very fast after about 110mph. It will get to 100 VERY fast though...
                                '83 GS 1100T
                                The Jet

sigpic
                                '95 GSXR 750w
                                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Working...
                                X