No announcement yet.

How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far on my gs650g, 65 throttle pinned running on 2 cylinders, didn't know about the 2 cylinders until after I got to work. I can't wait to see what she'll do on all 4

Comment

should get at least another 10 mph on 4 !!

Comment

Originally posted by cougar View Post
        My old gs750 (78) I ended up losing my liecence on got clocked doing 230 kph (143mph) in a 50kph (30mph) zone (just got off highway after giving a Kawasaki Z1300 the rear end view) bike was pretty stock apart from chain and sprockets.
        (I really miss that bike) started my love of GS's
        My Zuma would do about 125 flat out.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Many,many, many, moons ago I had the 1150es in the 120s for a brief instant at the top of 4th gear before backing off.....

Yes it was dumb......I giggled....
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I had my much-modded FZ1 over 150 far too many times, and had my wacked 750 turbo up to about 160 before the fear of the afterlife's irreality kicked in.

I've had the big GS above 100 a couple of times, but not far and not for long. Once, just to stomp on a kid in his WRX when he tried to pass me at the merge on an onramp, the other time, just for grins after a carb sync.
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by cougar View Post
              My old gs750 (78) I ended up losing my liecence on got clocked doing 230 kph (143mph) in a 50kph (30mph) zone (just got off highway after giving a Kawasaki Z1300 the rear end view) bike was pretty stock apart from chain and sprockets.
              (I really miss that bike) started my love of GS's
              That sounds like an old 78 7-11

Comment

Except for the fact that it was stock ...
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
                  So far on my gs650g, 65 throttle pinned running on 2 cylinders, didn't know about the 2 cylinders until after I got to work. I can't wait to see what she'll do on all 4
                  Careful with that - cranks can get wrecked running for too long with seriously unbalanced forces on them.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    Careful with that - cranks can get wrecked running for too long with seriously unbalanced forces on them.
                    That's why once I found out it was running on only 2 cylinders I started digging into the ignition system and found a shot ignitor. Fortunately I found one on ebay for $50. And incase this one doesn't work or dies on me, I ordered everything to build the gm hei ignitor

Comment

Well now that she's runnin on all 4, 70mph with plenty of room left in the throttle in 5th gear. The DIY gm ignitor really does the trick! And since she's firing on all 4, plugs 1 & 4 now have a chance to tell me where she's at with the tune. 1 & 4 look great, with nice tanning around the ceramic insulator. I need to get new plugs to see where all 4 are at now
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2014, 02:53 AM.

Comment

How fast is 8000RPM in 5th gear on a 1000ST with stock final drive?

ANS: Faster than the 78 KZ1000 that I pulled away from.

Comment

I don't know about 8000, but at 12,600 its moving pretty good. Saw that one day on the 401, the funny thing was the speedo needle went all the way to the m on the mph on the speedometer. I was quite a way in front of the Wooden Bumpered Car (??OPP??) trying to Race me thats all I cared about that Day. Since have spent more energy on sprint (drag) Bikes, Lot safer, anyhow those old GS done up a bit went rather quickly. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                            The GS stuff is tough tho. I had 1/2 of an early Dyna S quit on me on a road trip to Kentucky, and couldn't find anything. I blocked off those two carbs and rode it home to Iowa. Never saw where it did any sort of damage. Sure was poochy, tho.

Comment

Love the fact that this thread is still growing ...

My 1980 850 shaftie does 75 uphill against a headwind easily, with not much throttle and me sitting bolt upright. There's a SH__LOAD left but I'll probably never explore the upper limit.

Comment

Top speed of my GR650 is almost 110mph... Red line in 5th, flat out, down a hill... LOL Why they gave this bike a 140mph speedo is still beyond me. Should have just had an 85mph speedo, it would look so much more exciting during acceleration LOL
                                Jedz Moto
                                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X