No announcement yet.

How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fastest I've had the big GS so far is 120 on GPS. I've gone faster on other bikes, and it is clear that this bike can go significantly faster than 120, but it's a matter of beentheredonethat. Nothing to prove anymore.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

218KPH at redline in fifth gear.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2015, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Fast enough to get me a 100mph state felony speeding ticket in NM....and not I have though been a couple times I should've of lol
        '
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I should probably be in a "How slow is your old GS..." thread, haha. I got "clocked" at 65 between two streetlights that were about 25 yards apart. Not sure how I got going that fast and still stopped for the other light. That was when I had my GS geared as surface street commute warrior with a top speed of 55 with a good run-up. It was quicker down low though. I did beat the ticket. I have managed 100mph once per GPS on a safe stretch with larger front, smaller rear sprockets just so I can say it is a ton up cafe racer, lol.

Comment

I once hit 240kph on a nice gentle bypass curving around a town in Norfolk, didn't even know I had hit top speed as I was overtaking a long line of traffic and watching for oncoming at the front of the line, glanced down as I pulled in at the front and nearly panicked as I realized I 150 mph in a 60 would probably get the book thrown at me and quickly slowed to a ton again and tried to look all innocent.

Cause now I know at those speeds even below sea level and weighing 140lbs wet the speedo was out by 10 mph at least but it was nice bragging rights, damn I miss speed cameras and a little red Katana never thought I'd say that.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
              Fast enough to get me a 100mph state felony speeding ticket in NM....and not I have though been a couple times I should've of lol
              '
              A ton by itself is a felony in NM? Ouch!

Comment

My 450's speedo goes to 85, but with a GPS speedometer app on my phone the fastest I've recorded is 99. I've definately been faster, but I never remember to open the GPS app.

Comment

20150712_211926.jpg
                  Not quite as fast as my other baby.

Comment

I can remember back in the day hitting 220kpm. I couldn't max out the rpm in 5th and was hitting about the same speed in 4th.

Comment

Got my Katana GS(X)1100SZ up to an indicated 200kph on a recent ride. In theory it will do 240kph at redline. But 200kph seemed like quite fast enough to me. ;-)

Comment

Back in 1984 GS 1000 Engine built by me ,Out of 36 entries at Bike Drags made it to 16 th at the quick 16 class . No wheelie bar or air shifter Ran a 11.24 at 124 mph with my fat ass 240 pounds on it. Only bike there with no wheelie bars air shifter or air let out of the back tire as I drove it there and back home after, The way we drove back in those days the dragstrip was easier on it than the street hiway runs we did, Anyhow ,,,Later Mike

Comment

Sparta or Cayuga?
                          I spent a lot of time at Cayuga in '86? with an '83 Katana.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by RGM View Post
                            I can remember back in the day hitting 220kpm. I couldn't max out the rpm in 5th and was hitting about the same speed in 4th.
                            I noticed the same thing this summer, the bike would max out in 4th easier than it would in 5th. 205kmh is as fast as mine will go, but at the same time I was pumping fists with my buddy beside me.. so that made us feel we were going much faster of course....
                            Rob
                            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                              Sparta or Cayuga?
                              I spent a lot of time at Cayuga in '86? with an '83 Katana.
                              In 1984 at Sparta on my 1983 gs750e I did a 11.83 at 126mph. Bike was stock except for a 4-1 yoshi that I dropped the collector off at where 4 goes into 1. I weighed about 130lbs soaking wet. Beat the magazine time if I remember correctly.
                              No signature

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                                I noticed the same thing this summer, the bike would max out in 4th easier than it would in 5th. 205kmh is as fast as mine will go, but at the same time I was pumping fists with my buddy beside me.. so that made us feel we were going much faster of course....
                                That is something I won't soon forget!
                                No signature

Comment

Working...
                                X