Removing the stator cover tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by earlfor
    Yep Scotty, I was thinking today that if you could create a repulsing magnetic field, the cover should "pop" right off. But I'm wondering how to create an electro magnet using aluminium. ????

Earl

Originally posted by slopoke
    ICE109
    How about straightening us out. after all you have the wheels turning for allof us
    We dont seem to be getting replys on this one??????????

Comment

I think it is time for somebody to go outside and try it out. I will be the first to say it won't be me. I would if I had a spare bike but I don't.

Steve

Comment

Well, it sure isnt going to be me. My stator is fine and I aint a gonna mess with it. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by srivett
        I think it is time for somebody to go outside and try it out. I will be the first to say it won't be me. I would if I had a spare bike but I don't.

Steve
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
          Yep Scotty, I was thinking today that if you could create a repulsing magnetic field, the cover should "pop" right off. But I'm wondering how to create an electro magnet using aluminium. ????

Earl

Originally posted by slopoke
          ICE109
          How about straightening us out. after all you have the wheels turning for allof us
          The reason why I asked if it was working or not, was because I thought that you possible could create an electromagnetic field in the stator and that field became repulsive to the rotors permanent magnetic field.

But honestly I don't think it will work....

Ice109, I think you owe us an explaniton!!!

Comment

talk to scotty, he might loan out that big A@$ battery to smak the stator cover off

Comment

Originally posted by rick romero
              talk to scotty, he might loan out that big A@$ battery to smak the stator cover off
              last year when i was putting on the polished cases i thought that a wire was catching in the cover. i asked my brother for help and by keeping the thing straight and adding some woden spacers, I finally got it to the point where i could get a good grip on it.
              A Magnetic field in the jumper wires. we couldnt get one unless there was a load in series with the cable. I think. Oher wise it would be a dead short. i wonder if using one of the cables(after it is coiled and wraped around the stator cover) in series with a lit lamp cord would produce a low frequency flipping magnetic field and have some effect on removing the cover.. COME ON HAP INPUT PLEASE
              WOULD A DC LOAD DO IT BETTER???Maybe by changing the polarity of the DC load to see if it has an effect in one way or the other??

Comment

my method and opinion

Well, I am a physics and electrical engineering major. So i guess I'll take a crack at this.

First of all you have to understand the theory of electromagnetics. The B field (magnetic) opposes the electric field AND the direction of propagation by 90 degrees. If you take your right hand and point your fingers like you did as a kid when pretending to shoot a gun, and then hold your middle finger perpendicular to that, you have what we physicists call "The Right Hand Rule". Your middle finger is the direction the fields are moving through space, your thumb is the electric field, and the index finger is the magnetic field.

Maxwell's equations unite the properites of static and time-varying waves into just 4 equations. The one we are interested in is the one that says "Magnetic field density is equal to the current in a wire time the number of turns in the coil". The magnetic field then would be going through the center of the coil according to the right hand rule. In other words, if you wrapped the cable around the stator cover a few times in the clockwise direction and hooked the end of it up to the negative terminal (so the current flows clockwise) the magnetic field would be going in to the stator. (it actually loops all around the wire, but the net sum is a straight line going in to the stator)

Now here is the problem with using this to pop the cover off the stator. In order to create a large enough magnetic field that would compare with the alternator magnet, you would need to either have many, many turns around the cover with very fine wire and/or have a very large current. You are limited on that since a large current implies using large gauge wire, and the larger the wire the less turns you can have around it.

Give it a test at home - take your motorcycle battery out and get a nail, wrap some wire around it and see how much it can pick up. get a bigger nail, bigger wire.. you will see that the magetic force decreases. Increase your current, you will see it get stronger. Wrap more turns around the nail in the same length, it will also improve.

From what it seems at first assesment, one or two turns definatly will not be sufficient to oppose the magnetic field of the alternator magnet. The current from the battery isn't going to be enough either. Sure, peak amps might be around 230A, but you can't make a magnetic field with somethign so short-lived.

Be careful when shorting leads together and such - remember these wet-cell batterys can explode and alse DO put out large enough current to do harm to you.

Comment

i think a little poket screwdriver and a hammer to get the cover opened up a bit then use a couple of large screwdrivers to get the thing off, sounds like the safest way to me

Comment

i use a 2x4 and a hammer... position the 2x4 on the cover near the starter (there is a spacer towards the front of the bike) and give it some taps. Always shakes it loose for me after a few tugs.

Comment

Originally posted by rick romero
                      i think a little poket screwdriver and a hammer to get the cover opened up a bit then use a couple of large screwdrivers to get the thing off, sounds like the safest way to me
                      Careful not to mash the mating surfaces, as they are aluminum. It's very easy to do. :?
                      Kevin
                      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I dance around the bike during a full moon naked, give offerings to the valve stem gods, then lightly tap the cover all the way around and pry it of with leverage at the tab located at the bottom of the cover. Once it is off, I let out a war yell and skip down the road in front of my house.

Hap
                        My neighbors just don't understand me!

Comment

insert 24 beers in there somewhere hap

Comment

you guys are all losers, other than the physics guy who is not a loser but none the less did not understand me. connect one lead, both sides of the red jumper cable the the terminals of the battery. one red goes to positive and the other red goes to negative, yes this creates a short but jumper cables are high enuff gauge that they will not weld for a while. a couple turns off the jumper cable does work. the battery might not generate enuff current to demagnitize a fresh stator but if u leave it off the battery over night the electrons will eb just into the surrounding air thus lowering the magnetic field of the stator, i too am a physics major. just try it guys

Comment

well maybe were not the 'Losers' here after all. As you can see from all the posts' here, No one could figure out you illustrious directions so be wise on who you call a loser..

Comment

w/e man it was just me joking, i realize that sometimes i am not descriptive enuff

Comment

Working...
                                X