Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Electrex provide more watts?

Clone Guest

ok, so the 83 has a stock oil cooler on it and I have never seen my oil temp get to the top of the Normal range even on the hottest day I have ridden. So, oil temp should not kill my stator. R/R has been replaced. So I figure that route is not going to kill it. Am I safe?
    Now then, isn't there a 10 -15 volt range that the stock stator puts out, depending on rpm?
    Wouldn't it then be possible to rewind your stator to produce a higher current flow with a lower voltage, but still something within what the regulator can convert to 14VDC? There must be some formula to figure this out, it can't all be trail and error, can it? If there is some way, then taking your fried stock stator to a rebuilder and presenting him or her, don't want to be sexist now, with the possibility of increasing output, there should be some way of doing it.
    I remember back in the early 80's when working on the combines, they would have a 100Amp alternator and they would be huge. Now, my car has a 100 Amp alternator and it is half the size. How can the two units put out the same power and be so different in size? It has to be possible with the bike stators to improve the power output?
    OR is my understanding of how power is produced limiting the ability of my brain to understand how the windings/wire/magnets produce current flow

dpep is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

A concern I have always had is that if I were able by whatever means to increase the stator output a considerable amount, would the rest of the system--components, wiring--be able to handle it? What is the next weakest link? I am afraid of burning something up and being stranded on the side of the road.

Has anyone actually installed a higher capacity stator and, if so, what was your experience? What is the highest output we could get away with?
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2009 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Hap Call Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Clone
    Wouldn't it then be possible to rewind your stator to produce a higher current flow with a lower voltage, but still something within what the regulator can convert to 14VDC?
    You lower the voltage output and you will raise the current output...that is simple physics. The problem is that it is the higher current that kills your system...not the voltage. Current produces heat and heat kills stators. That is why when you put too much load on a stator it burns up

Quote Originally Posted by Clone
    I remember back in the early 80's when working on the combines, they would have a 100Amp alternator and they would be huge. Now, my car has a 100 Amp alternator and it is half the size. How can the two units put out the same power and be so different in size?
    The reason is improved insulation systems...they can handle the heat better so they produce more watts without burning up. They come a long way in the past 20 years.

Go to a motor rewind shop with your stator, tell them that it will be running in hot engine oil at a temperature around 200 to 210 degrees and that you need a rewind and an insulation system that can handle the heat of the oil.

Hap

Normk Guest

I know this is an aged thread but can't find specs. Anyone know the rated output for the 1979 GS850 alternator?

I understand that it uses a different regulation strategy than later models? and curious as to whether there is a published specification.

Guess I should get off my behind and load test the alternator and post that....

Can someone post me to a thread with more information?

Thanks,

Norm

Hap Call Guest

Norm,

The only place I know to get that info is on the spec sheet in the factory service manual. There may be other places, but I just can't think of any.

Hap

Sounds like around 230 watts would be about right. Isn't wattage= voltage X current? With a 15 amp fuse in line times 14 to 15 volts at the battery? Don't know that you can change any of that, maybe heavier wiring and fuse? Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

79 850 FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL:

REGULATED VOLTAGE: 14 - 15.5 V AT 5,000 r/min
    ALTERNATOR NO-LOAD DATA: More than 75 V AC at 5,000 r/min

I HAVE NO REAL CLUE HOW THIS ALL RELATES... BUT IT IS WHAT THE BOOK SAYS...

TP
    1979 GS850 Work in progress, Sonic Springs
    1979 GS850 Traded for Stereo many years ago
    1976 Honda 750 four, traded for 850
    1972 Suzuki TS50 (what were my parents thinking?)

Normk Guest

Thanks, I was able to find those figures but am looking for alternator output in amps. or Watts to assume about 14 volts to derive an amperage. Someone mentioned that the earlier GS850 (mine) has a lower output than the later ones and am interested in determining what can be powered from the GS.

My other bike is a Honda ST1100 with 59.6 amp alternator which powers 350 Watts of headlights, auxiliary lights, rider & pillion electric clothing, heated grips and other non-sense without breaking a sweat even idling at lights. I`m thinking that the GS will be a bit more challenged. (VBG)

Fiddling in the garage this evening the output was only 7 amps from the VRR red wire but I seem to recall that the output on the early bikes isn`t all through the same circuit?

I'm not too bothered as the output is what it is but simply trying to determine what it should deliver compared with what it actually makes.

I will live with what ever it makes although 50 Watts for electric jacket and around the same for grips would be good.

I'm spoiled being able to run the toaster on the ST. (VBG)

Norm