No announcement yet.

Will Electrex provide more watts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like around 230 watts would be about right. Isn't wattage= voltage X current? With a 15 amp fuse in line times 14 to 15 volts at the battery? Don't know that you can change any of that, maybe heavier wiring and fuse? Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

79 850 FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL:

REGULATED VOLTAGE: 14 - 15.5 V AT 5,000 r/min
      ALTERNATOR NO-LOAD DATA: More than 75 V AC at 5,000 r/min

I HAVE NO REAL CLUE HOW THIS ALL RELATES... BUT IT IS WHAT THE BOOK SAYS...

TP

Comment

Thanks, I was able to find those figures but am looking for alternator output in amps. or Watts to assume about 14 volts to derive an amperage. Someone mentioned that the earlier GS850 (mine) has a lower output than the later ones and am interested in determining what can be powered from the GS.

My other bike is a Honda ST1100 with 59.6 amp alternator which powers 350 Watts of headlights, auxiliary lights, rider & pillion electric clothing, heated grips and other non-sense without breaking a sweat even idling at lights. I`m thinking that the GS will be a bit more challenged. (VBG)

Fiddling in the garage this evening the output was only 7 amps from the VRR red wire but I seem to recall that the output on the early bikes isn`t all through the same circuit?

I'm not too bothered as the output is what it is but simply trying to determine what it should deliver compared with what it actually makes.

I will live with what ever it makes although 50 Watts for electric jacket and around the same for grips would be good.

I'm spoiled being able to run the toaster on the ST. (VBG)

Norm

Comment

Working...
        X