Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing JUST the mufflers on a 1000GL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks so much for the photos. This has been the final missing piece of the puzzle that has given me the inspiration to complete this project.
    Thank you again. This is going to look so good.
    I think I may punch out the baffles on a second set and see how it sounds between the two sets of pipes.

Dm of mD

Comment

FYI, for those of you who want to do this mod and haven't yet picked up HD pipes, tell them that you have an old Suzuki and can't get stock pipes for it, and that you heard a rumor that most HD dealers will give the pipes away if you ask nicely...

That's what I did, and sure enough the dealer GAVE me a set of stock pipes -- No Charge!

Regards,
      Steve 8)

Comment

By the way, VERY NICELY DONE! The pipes look good!!

Steve 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
          Thanks so much for the photos. This has been the final missing piece of the puzzle that has given me the inspiration to complete this project.
          Thank you again. This is going to look so good.
          I think I may punch out the baffles on a second set and see how it sounds between the two sets of pipes.
          Glad I was able to inspire you. Good luck with your bike!

Comment

I've just recently acquired a 1980 GS1100L, and the stock pipes are shot. I also have access to a set of HD stock pipes, so I'd like to try this. Where did you cut the stock pipes? I assume it was just as the megaphone starts to widen, at the weld there?

Comment

Yes, that is the place to cut the stock mufflers off.
              Right where the muffler part begins and it starts to megaphone out.

Dm of mD

Comment

Excellent - thanks! I hope to have everything up and running by next week!

Comment

Let us know how it goes!

Comment

Those pipes look great, now I got the bug...new pipes are coming.

Drew

Comment

hmmm...

Well, I have the pipes now, and I have a question. They look like they'll fit just fine, but are they supposed to have baffles or anything inside? These are just straight pipes. Since I know zero about Harleys, I have no idea!

Comment

The ones I have are baffled, yes..

Comment

They (Dyna mufflers) all come with baffles. I punched mine out though before installation.
                          There is a little disc the size of a quarter that is tack welded in three thin spots in the middle of the muffler. I punched them out of both pipes with another pipe the size of the baffle disc.
                          This will give the pipes enough remaining backpressure to work with my stage-3 kit and pods but still allow for the low toned rumble that isn't annoyingly loud.

Dm of mD

Comment

I've got another set coming with baffles in them. I should be able to try out both and see which is better. At $20 a set, I can afford to experiment.

Comment

Awesome, I'm sure you will be pleased with the sound of both.
                              Then you can switch off when you want louder or quieter.

These bikes are so versatile...
                              Dm of mD

Comment

SWEET!!!

Just hit up the local Harley shop and FREE set of pipes where tossed my way, man I can't belive I walked out with a free set of pipes!. I think I'm going to paint the headers up with some flat black hi temp and then add the new mufflers, I think the contrast will look great. Any opinions? Any one else done something like this with pics?

Thanks guys
                                Drew

Comment

Working...
                                X