Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing JUST the mufflers on a 1000GL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I have done just that this weekend. I will be posting pictures later today of my newly added cans and their paint.

Dm of mD

Comment

Well, I chopped the mufflers off the bike and man was it loud. The bike performed so well around town at a louder sound that I decided to keep it that way for a day. Well, I made the mistake of taking it on the highway and there wasn't enough backpressure or fuel to operate at a higher speed. Had to ride the bike back home in the dark down the highway at 30 mph and had to stop every 10 miles.

Well...I spent all day memorial day installing my mufflers like I should have and adjusting my carbs. I raised my needles one position and still need to adjust my idle mix screws. The bike is running rich on the left side and lean on the right side.

Here are the pics of the competed job.

:roll: :?
      Dm of mD

Comment

Dude shoulda used MSN :P None of them showed...

You think these would work on my 450??? mine are so but-ugly and 20$ (or free)+welding sounds pretty decent to me. Might even be easier considering I have no megaphones anymore.

Comment

Thats weird, I can see some and not others.\
          Time to rehost.

EDIT: FIXED HOST - Pictures now viewable.

Dm of mD

Comment

Excellent info!!!
            I'm going to the Harley Dealership!

Comment

Hey guys,

I got the pipes from the guys over at Mills Harley, NJ (Good guys over there) like I said before, but I don't see any possible way that these things will fit. I am trying to put these on my 82 GS750E. I don't know how different these pipes are from everyone elses, but where the pipes come together and then start to megaphone out, the pipes are huge.

I had read before that the stock exhaust from a GS1000 will go right on a 750, so maybe I should be an old set of them and cut them up. I don't know, what do you guys think?

I really appriciate any advice you guys can give me. I'll see if I can get a good pic of what I have now.

Thanks,

Drew

Comment

Drew,

go ahead and pick up that spare exhaust to experiment with if you can.
                I ruined my bike with doing this modification and now regret the whole thing. I also had to order a 4-into-one exhaust for my bike because I ruined the stock exhaust.

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
                  Drew,

go ahead and pick up that spare exhaust to experiment with if you can.
                  I ruined my bike with doing this modification and now regret the whole thing. I also had to order a 4-into-one exhaust for my bike because I ruined the stock exhaust.

Dm of mD
                  Did you "ruin your bike" by running the HD exhaust, or by running it without pipes. There's a big difference.

Comment

Actually, the only thing that ruined my bike was me.
                    I was the one stupid enough to think that punched out H-D mufflers would give me the same flow-thru as a 4-into-1 system.

So, no, the H-D didn't ruin my bike.
                    My own stupidity and lack of resources ruined my bike.

Good luck,
                    Dm of mD

Comment

I was the one stupid enough to think that punched out H-D mufflers would give me the same flow-thru as a 4-into-1 system.

Good luck,
                      Dm of mD
                      But had you not punched the baffles, would you have had the same problem?

Comment

I'm not having any problems at all with mine. They're un-altered baffle wise. I will note that you may wish to re-jet with this mod, as these pipes seem to flow better than stock.

The installation requires some real coaxing and teasing though. Just be careful and gradual. Dont cut or grind too much off at once, and use some red RTV to help seal things up. Oh, and you'll need some nice, heavy clamps. Mine were Emgo exhaust clamps. Quite heavy duty. Worm-drive style clamps are NOT strong enough to make the connection.

Comment

What a great thread! Great timing too, because I had just blown the baffles out of the right side muffler on my wife's '80 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD. After seeing what a good job you did on your 1000GL, Shane, I went down to Spokane, WA's only H-D dealer and walked out with TWO sets of FREE mufflers. The service mgr said they throw them out all the time. He gave me a set like yours and a pair of shorties.

I'm halfway through installing the shorties on the 440. I cut the mufflers off where you did on yours, but I'm welding the replacements back on. I plan to install the others on my '82 GS850G. The stock mufflers are holding up fine, but I'd like to improve the sound without getting too loud. I have to replace the fork seals anyway, so I might as well do it all at once.

Thanks for the great photos and installation info.

Rick :P

Comment

Originally posted by udco
                            What a great thread! Great timing too, because I had just blown the baffles out of the right side muffler on my wife's '80 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD. After seeing what a good job you did on your 1000GL, Shane, I went down to Spokane, WA's only H-D dealer and walked out with TWO sets of FREE mufflers. The service mgr said they throw them out all the time. He gave me a set like yours and a pair of shorties.

I'm halfway through installing the shorties on the 440. I cut the mufflers off where you did on yours, but I'm welding the replacements back on. I plan to install the others on my '82 GS850G. The stock mufflers are holding up fine, but I'd like to improve the sound without getting too loud. I have to replace the fork seals anyway, so I might as well do it all at once.

Thanks for the great photos and installation info.

Rick :P
                            Hey, no problem! Post some photos of yours if you can, when you are done. I would have loved to have welded mine, but I don't have a welder, nor the proper experience welding to do it had I rented/borrowed a welder or something. Good luck! Glad Latus Motors was able to hook you up. (Former Spokanite here )

Comment

Originally posted by discochris

Good luck,
                              Dm of mD
                              But had you not punched the baffles, would you have had the same problem?
                              Nope, If I had left the baffles alone I would not have had any problems.
                              Stupid me.

Dm of mD

Comment

Detman,

So your old headers are ok? I wouldn't mind taking the old set off your hands if your willing...Let me know.

Drew

Comment

Working...
                                X