NOOOOOOOO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOOOOOOOO

I decided to try out the laughing gas today, just to see what it was like. Well I hit it, and it wasn't all that great, I didn't check to see how much pressure was in the tank, so maybe that was why. Anyway, I held it on for maybe 2 seconds, not very long. I come to the end of the straight, and my leg is covered in oil, looks like the head gasket blew. Everything runs fine, no weird noises or anything, but the head gasket is leaking oil like a sieve. This is not something I expected to happen, does anybody have a clue as to why this would happen? Tomorrow I'll be taking off the head, hopefully I won't find anything worse then the gasket. I am depressed now.

it is possible that you blew some excess pressure past your rings into the crankcase. but when you take your heads off it will tell you all.

Comment

Keep us posted Luke.

Comment

Oh crap man, I hope that your heads are all fine.
        That really sucks. At first I didn't know what "Laughing gas" meant but after seeing what bike you have it all became clear.

Good luck,
        Dm of mD

Comment

Luke,
          My 1000 did the same thing last year.
          I was in Ogunquit when it started pushing oil.
          *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed me off......no damage just the gasket.
          I used a copper one and it's been holding up fine, no leaks,no weeps.
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

luke,
            if it didnt pull your arms off then somthing is wrong! in the 1/4 the bike went from 136 to 149. that increase should be totaly felt with a vengence! did you check to make sure all smaller jets (nitrous ) were hooked up to the nitrous solinoid? and did you purge the nitrous? it should have scared you silly un less the tank was not fully charged or the system is leaking somwere.......................................skip

Ps I feel really bad that this happened I hope you straighten it out with little trouble.

Comment

at what RPM did you hit it?

Comment

Well all is well again. I replace the head gasket, and everything else looked fine. All oil is now staying in the engine. I hit the nitrous at around 7k, and it did accelerate, it just wasn't much of a hit. I checked the jets when I took the head off, and they were correct. I didn't purge the system, as I figured it might just bog a bit when I first hit it, then come on strong. I didn't have a copper head gasket, so it looks like I won't be playing with the nitrous again until that's replaced sometime down the road. I'm just happy to have my bike running again.

Comment

Rock on buddy
                  Glad you got it running again so quickly.

Comment

I have a tendancy to slip into the obsessive compulsive side of things if my bike breaks. I'll be working on it until it's fixed, things like sleep, food, work, family, friends, etc tend to be blocked out until all is right again. Hence, I took the day of yesterday and got her back to working order. If I ever have to do anything really major, I'll probably lose a lot of weight, have dark circles around my eyes, and have a coffee IV. :?

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
                      I have a tendancy to slip into the obsessive compulsive side of things if my bike breaks. I'll be working on it until it's fixed, things like sleep, food, work, family, friends, etc tend to be blocked out until all is right again. Hence, I took the day of yesterday and got her back to working order. If I ever have to do anything really major, I'll probably lose a lot of weight, have dark circles around my eyes, and have a coffee IV. :?
                      You are my clone... Now there is a scary thought 8O

:P

Comment

You're my hero!!

Dm of mD

Comment

Wow thats scary................I knew there was a reason I like you!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar

Hey Hoomgar, not only do we wear the same helmet ...........looks like we have the same personality too!

Comment

Originally posted by skip[
                              Originally posted by Hoomgar

Hey Hoomgar, not only do we wear the same helmet ...........looks like we have the same personality too!

Would explain our common interest in bikes

Comment

Working...
                              X