No announcement yet.

BUILDING AN I.C.B.M. KATANA 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally got my cases back from powder coater...................

thought I would check the bearing support kit for fit before sending them off to the builder today.

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

yummy........ 8) man you are going the full ten yards. keep up the good work.

-ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Hrm. I'd like to know more details about that bearing support outrigger dealie... does it help manage the problem with sprocket offset for wider wheels?

Comment

That is exactly what it is for. It comes with a 5/8 offest sprocket and an out bearing to take some of the load off the countershaft bearing.

I am told it isn't needed for a street bike but it does look kool don't it.

I am pretty hard on the throttle and don't want any premature bearing failure. I want this motor to go the distance so I am making it as bullet proof as I can.
          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

ran the oil lines today. this isn't my motor just empty cases for alignment.

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by katman
              That is exactly what it is for. It comes with a 5/8 offest sprocket and an out bearing to take some of the load off the countershaft bearing.

I am told it isn't needed for a street bike but it does look kool don't it.

I am pretty hard on the throttle and don't want any premature bearing failure. I want this motor to go the distance so I am making it as bullet proof as I can.
              Looks expensive, but that's basically what I'd like to end up doing to my engine-- turn it into a bullet proof fire breathing street motor :twisted:

I suppose it doesn't hurt that it looks very cool...

Comment

Sweet, Sweet, Sweet- that is gonna be the ultimate Kat. Press On, Ed
                1983 GS750ED

Comment

Hey Katman. So what do you think your eta is for getting this bike done?
                  I am just curious how long until you get to ride it? I know mine is taking forever :roll:

Comment

Well bud.....it has been forever too.

I started this trek in late Aug. 03.

My cases are in the shop and can be put together now. Got the cylinders back this weekend so they will be on the way too. The head eta was a month so maybe another two weeks for it then I have to powder coat the head and back to shop for assembly and competion of engine.

The chasis is 95% done and I just have to find a set of good shocks.

I am hoping by the second week of Aug. Which will make this a year of .............well. you know. It has been fun though and I have learned a ton.

I just bought a kat frame and may be puting another one together...shhhhhhhhsshhhh don't tell my wife. lol.
                    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Cool I wont say a word. LOL!
                      Sounds close to my story then too.
                      Same here, late August and about the same ETA.

*sigh*

I will ride it again someday.

Comment

Hey Mark,

I see in your sig. that you like seca turbo's??

I was looking to buy one in 82 but the salesman ticked me off with the old hard sell so I went down the street and bought a kat. lol.
                        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by katman
                          Hey Mark,

I see in your sig. that you like seca turbo's??

I was looking to buy one in 82 but the salesman ticked me off with the old hard sell so I went down the street and bought a kat. lol.
                          I bought mine new as a leftover in 83. Sold it like a dumbass in 86. I am buying one as we speak from a fellow forum member and will have it by next year early or sooner if I can get the monies together even sooner.

I am so glad I got to get it back! I missed that bike so much.

Comment

WELL, WELL, WELL,

My new head is junk.

Buddy porting it has finally got to doing it and after a clean up has informed me two of the combustion chambers have two large cracks each between the valves.

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT.

three heads in a row junk. WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET A GOOD CYL HEAD????????
                            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Have you talked to anyone about welding the cracks. I would think that the porting work would clean up the welds as a bonus.

Good welders can perform miracles.

Comment

Absolutely, strip the head get it welded and then stress relieved , better than new that way.
                                The GS heads are getting very rare these days.
                                Dink

Comment

Working...
                                X