Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me about the cager who thought he could take you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've beaten people when I didn't even know I was supposed to race! I have an '84 GS750EF with the full fairing and a Yosh exhaust and while being fairly quick I wouldn't call it "mind numbing" power. I just accelerate normally and from time to time I'll hear some guy revving his engine behind me, and I'll be wondering, "is something going on?" "Is he racing me? Or did he just miss a shift?". It seems those loud honda's that those kids drive nowadays seem to be the main culprits. I really dont get those cars, maybe I'm getting too old but to me a fast car was at least a small 8. Oh well in the last days of the age of oil I guess a 4-cylinder is all those kids can hope for.

Comment

Originally posted by chrissinc
      I really dont get those cars, maybe I'm getting too old but to me a fast car was at least a small 8. Oh well in the last days of the age of oil I guess a 4-cylinder is all those kids can hope for.
      Hey, it's all they got to work with. There were a plethora of V8s kicking around when we were young, but there's virtually nothing now. The only thing they have to work with is little cars. Also too, the cars remind them of their skateboards, which they have just graduated from.
      Kevin
      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Spanking cars

I have yet to meet up with a car that I couldn't stomp with the 1150.....old. new...especially the newer Mustangs,Vettes,etc. They think the newest stuff is the cats meow but it is really the old musclecars that you have to look out for...& you really can make a good judgement right on the spot....does he have the traction to hook up?Does he have the horsepower....the traction to use all of it? Usually all the right stuff isn't set up right....lotsa HP but it would need tubbed rear tires & 12" cheater slicks, etc.etc, let alone the first corner that comes up.......but I digress...when I can hit 50 MPH or so by the time I get across the intersection its already all over but the shouting.
        ______________________________Rick.....

Comment

Re: Spanking cars

Originally posted by Richard Ellis
          I have yet to meet up with a car that I couldn't stomp with the 1150.....old. new...especially the newer Mustangs,Vettes,etc. They think the newest stuff is the cats meow but it is really the old musclecars that you have to look out for...& you really can make a good judgement right on the spot....does he have the traction to hook up?Does he have the horsepower....the traction to use all of it? Usually all the right stuff isn't set up right....lotsa HP but it would need tubbed rear tires & 12" cheater slicks, etc.etc, let alone the first corner that comes up.......but I digress...when I can hit 50 MPH or so by the time I get across the intersection its already all over but the shouting.
          ______________________________Rick.....
          that is excatly what I ran up against. it was tubbed supercharged , had wheelie bars and huge cheater slicks, he didnt wind it up high at all so I was not sure if he was going to go for it. Then he just nailed it and took off. we ran out of room quickly it was not even a 1/8 mile, had it been longer I know i would have done better. I have had many many races and it is only fair to list the ones I lost as well as the ones I won

Comment

I was sitting at a light on my little 27hp yamaha xs 400 twin. I damn near outweigh the poor thing.
            This great big honking Escalade pulled up behind me, then changed to the right lane to wait next to me. There were parked cars all over the right lane so we all know what's going to happen :roll:
            This clown started rolling into the intersection real slow when the other side went yellow and by the time it was actually green for us, he had cleared the stop line completely by nearly two meters.
            The green light came and he punched it.
            Kapwing! zneeeeeee! I zipped past him and he had to merge behind me.

I stood up on the pegs and shook my ass around while smacking it hahaha

edit: On the GS, nobody has given me a hard time except a porsche boxster last Feb. There was lots of snow and slush everywhere and I was making him mad by digging into the tire tracks and taking him on all the lights. We reached a little chicane and he kept accelerating. I had to let him go I was sliding way too much to do the 50kph (30mph) max and had to drop to 20 with the clutch in just to keep it under me for the curve.

Folks around here know better than to race bikes. Usually if someone pulls up next to you at a light it's to merge behind you because they know you'll leave a big gap just moseying along.

Comment

I think the funniest race with a cage I've ever had was with a turbo-charged Nissan 280z, this boy racer had his girlfriend in the car with him and kept revving his engine next to me at a redlight, I was on my old Honda NT650GT (650cc twin) with my better half on the back. I wasnt going to race him with her on the back but right before the light turned green she told me to take him, I think I was probably 10 car lengths ahead by the time I hit 3rd and backed off. He went by and flipped me off

Another time I was on the interstate cruising around 75 on my 900RR when a Hardly rider and his biker chick passed by slowly, I waved at them like I do most motorcyclist and he gave me a funny look and gassed it, I gave it a little gas and pulled beside him again and he really gassed it. I kept with him as he tried to out accelerate me and then I nailed it right as his engine was running short on steam. At that point I saw in the rear views a ton of white smoke coming from his bike :twisted:

I know the last is not a cager story but I hate hardly riders who think that anything non-hardly is a POS.

Todd

Comment

Out here in the sticks (Reno) we get civic kids too, but the funniest of all is the pick-up jocks that think their truck will beat anything on or off road. Now, I'm riding an 18 year old 450, but it's still laughable when a lifted dodge ram with the flame job pulls up next to you at a light and wants to try it out. You can let the clutch out at idle and take your sweet time through the gears and still you'll hardly see them after a quater.

Comment

Beat a '01 Cobra and T.A. riding a '80 GS850G doubled-up!

I'll set it up for you guys. My girl and I are heading back from the local brewery in downtown Nashua, NH where we had diner outside. Must have been 15 bikes parked in front of the place. We hop on my '80 GS850G and start head to our apartment on South Main St. I am just taking me sweet time riding enjoying the NICEST evening weather I have seen! We pull up to a light in the "Mall" section of town and two FAT guys in the 30's in a '01 Cobra pull-up next to us. They start laughing at us and rev. there engine. I don't even look over or blip my throdle I just watch the light. When the crossing traffic gets a yellow, I drop her into 1st and start warming the clutch. My girlfriend knows what is happening so she gets the death grip on me and leans forward. I did not opean the throdle till teh last second so they would not know I was preparing to race. So my GS850G almost died when I released the clucth and gave her 1/2 throdle. But she did surge pretty hard. I can see the Cobra's front end lift like 7 inches! I now give my GS850G WOT afterI know she is hooking-up alright. I hold 1st. till 9k, then bang 2nd. I had pulled 2 car lengths on him in 1st. now in second it's more like 3! But the next light comes up too fast. This time a '00 Trans Am pulls around the Cobra from the third lane up next to us (Cobra gave-up and did NOT want to see me on my $300 motorcycle speach)! I am like, twice in one night what did I get myself into. Again destroy the Trans Am by a car length, then pull into our complex! I felt great about my old girl holding her own with 37k on the clock, siting out side for two years in a junk yard, and being doubled up with 375 lbs!! of dead weight!!

Comment

Ha! Just got in. I was pulling up to a light on the inside lane beside a Buick, looked like the same shape as a Grand National, I can't remember what that is based on. It was a nice blue colour, (not stock) and had the happy rap wheels on it,you know, all wheel, little tire. :roll:

Anyhow, the light changed BEFORE I was even right even with him and he punched it. Oh goodie, a clown! :twisted: I twisted my wrist, shifted and got in front of him as there was a parked car in my lane down the road. I can't believe he even tried. Maybe he just thought "bike" and didn't realize he was up against a mighty GS!
                    Kevin

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,

Comment

I had a guy last weekend pull next to me on the interstate in a modified Trans Am that insisted on racing me, I was on the 900RR doing 75-80 already and thinking this guy is going to have his a$$ handed to him, then he took off like maybe he was on laughing gas or something so I downshifted to 4th and nailed it, caught up with him, went for the pass and came up on traffic waaay too fast. This guy goes into the service lane and passes several cars going in excess of 120mph!! I of course backed down but it is still burning me! Oh well, I'm sure Karmha will catch up to him

Todd

Comment

I haven't had many people try my 1100 being an L I guess they think it's not fast, but I've two instances just within the last week. The first was a mercedes S500 of all things, this dorky looking guy with his woman pulled up along side of me on the freeway and starts pushing on and off the throttle giving me the signal to go, and then stomps on the throttle, he got about two car lengths ahead of me before I could get to third gear and go wide open, but when I did, I made up the distance quickly and rapidly left him behind. the second was a honda with a big muffler sticking out the back, I stopped for a light, he came up beside me and started revving his engine, I didn't even look over, but when the light turned green, I hit it hard, all the way to 8K in fourth, by the time I looked in my mirror I couldn't tell if it was bug crap on my mirror or the honda behind.

Comment

Originally posted by kent
                          I haven't had many people try my 1100 being an L I guess they think it's not fast,
                          I had a few guys want to race me when I had my V65 Magna, a cruiser. It was actually kind of sad really.
                          Kevin

Comment

Working...
                          X