530 Chain Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by earlfor
    16/48 is a 1:3 ratio and 15/42 is a 1:2.8 ratio. For 16/48, the countershaft sprocket will turn 3 times for each time the rear sprocket turns. For the 15/42, the countershaft will turn 2.8 times each time the rear wheel rotates. Acceleration will increase slightly with the 16/48 and gas milage will decrease slightly. Rpm for a given speed will be increased about 9%, as will be chain and sprocket wear.

Earl
    Hmm. That's good information to consider. I think I'm prolly just gonna bite the bullet and convert my bike. I have everything else in pieces, what's one more baggie of parts gonna hurt?

Would the 16/48 combination be suitable for around-town riding, with little to no highway time? Is there a more well-rounded gearing that would be more appropriate for all types of riding?

Comment

Sure, it would be fine. I doubt you will notice any difference around town.

Earl

Originally posted by m0unds
      Would the 16/48 combination be suitable for around-town riding, with little to no highway time? Is there a more well-rounded gearing that would be more appropriate for all types of riding?
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by m0unds
        If your stock gearing was 15/42, then 16/45 would be almost exactly the same. Your 16/48 choice would make your bike a little slower off the line and cruise at a little lower rpm.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Your 16/48 choice would make your bike a little slower off the line and cruise at a little lower rpm.
          Keith,

You have that backwards. The 16/48 will provide a bit more jump off the line and result in slightly higher cruising revs than the 16/45. Mileage will also likely drop off a touch.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mark m
            Your 16/48 choice would make your bike a little slower off the line and cruise at a little lower rpm.
            Keith,

You have that backwards. The 16/48 will provide a bit more jump off the line and result in slightly higher cruising revs than the 16/45. Mileage will also likely drop off a touch.

Mark
            Oops! That's right. Just not paying attention to what I'm typing.
            Fine advice giver I am. :roll:
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
            X