Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Rear Shocks - Questions, Feedback, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TFB, I like your bike, looks cool. I checked the IKON website, no 77-79 GS 550 application, so that's out.

I like your idea about taking them to a shop to have them installed. I'll ask around at work to see if anyone knows someone at a shop.

~Adam

Comment

I have the Progressive 12 series with standard springs (I weigh about 195). I also have Progressive fork springs. I believe the suspension should be "balanced", and my front and rear react about the same to the road. The rear shocks are sometimes a bit harsh on rebounding. No big deal. I think they're the best shock for the price.
      I ordered mine from the local parts shop and they assembled them for me, no charge. If you slipped, you could get hurt assembling them. Putting them on the bike is easy. For my '79 1000, on the bike, the shocks measure almost 13 1/4" from bolt center to bolt center.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

adam i think the shocks for a 550 and a 1000 are all about the same execpt for the clevis mout on the bottom of the 1000 and the eye mount on the 550 i'm sure if you are going to get shocks you can talk to these people and just have them use a diffrent mount for very little exttra money. in th enext day or two i'll look to tse how diffrent the 550 Aand 1000 are, but i think they are the same lenght.

-ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I second the Ikons. They are cheaper than the progressives and they have rebound adjustment. I bought mine through http://www.eurotechmotorsports.com/ . They are the only distributor for the US I believe. I think you could find a shock that will fit your bike without much trouble. The original shocks were showas that were fitted to many bikes as OEM. They could be the same as a Honda, Kawasaki, Yammy, BMW, Ducati, and on and on.... Call eurotech and see what they say.

Comment

wow that Eurotech website is freaking awful.

So how would I know what Honda, Kawi, and Yamaha's carried the same shock as my GS? Bikebandit sucks because it wont give you an OEM part number on their webpage.

~Adam

Comment

Another thing you could try, is email the IKON crew (via the easy-to-find email contact on their website) and give them the length of the shockie you need, and the weight of your motorcycle; I'd be surprised if they don't have a model of shock to fit. I emailed them a while back and got a prompt response.
              Mike.

Comment

So, I bought the Progressive Suspension rear shocks for my box-stock '81 GS1100EX, then went shopping for springs. The PS website said that, at 200lbs, and with my particular usage pattern, I could go with either the standard or heavy springs. I ended up buying new, standard black springs at a store-closing for the giveaway price of $5.00! All the stuff is still in the boxes awaiting a rainy day. I previously installed PS fork springs, and I've been running zero psi in the forks.
                Two questions: Would I be happier with the heavy springs? (25 pounds on the rear rack for weekend tours, or my lightweight kids on dayrides occasionally)
                Will these black springs rust significantly? (I would've bought the chrome version if the giveaway price hadn't cemented the deal, and for $5.00 I could keep 'em for spares).
                Thanks, Al.

Comment

Re: New Rear Shocks - Questions, Feedback, etc.

Originally posted by AOD
                  How many of you have replaced your original shocks on your GS? Mine still have some 'spring' and rebound to them, but at 20+ years old I imagine they're not at the top of their game.

Has anyone noticed an improvement after replacing shocks? Cycle-Recycle-2 has Emgo replacement shocks for $89 a pair.

I read on the Progressive motorcyclce suspension page they recommend a slightly longer shock/spring to lift the rear and quicken the steering. Makes sense in a way...and I'm not going to argue these bikes need help in handling compared to today's machines.

So...CRC2 shows 335mm application for the 77-79 GS550. http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/rear_shocks.htm

I guess I can measure what I have now...and see if I should go with the 335mm or 340mm.

Any thoughts?

~Adam
                  Ive just added a new set of IKON's (previously KONI) to my GS750's arse end.

Sorry cant tell ya the part number but if you check their website at:

you will surely find something.

I paid AU$400 for mine but they are repairable and they have an adjustable dampener in the top, WHilst I could have got something much cheaper (AU$140) they were NOT repairable, and were standard shock only, (no adjustable dampener)

More than well worth the extra $$

Now I just gotta look at replacing the front springs and It seems that I have got one top tube bent bugger!
                  Handling is awesome now!

Comment

Ps: as previously mentioned, email ikon and ask.....

Tell them your model and year and they will know what is "interchangeable"

storms tonight, 2.25 inches of precipitation tonight, damn hot though!

Comment

sent the contact us info to IKON, so we'll see what comes back.

For those of you who have gone the adjustable dampening way, how hard was it to fine tune the dampening to your riding style?

~Adam

Comment

adam they have GS 550 M/EM Katana listed, these have the same shocks as your 79 550 e, the bikes are all about the same except for the looks and soild disk brakes.

-ryan
                        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                        82 Kat 1000 Project
                        05 CRF450x
                        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I improvised a spring compressor, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It was a horrible contraption made of two pieces of angle iron bolted loosely to an old Toyota pickup bumper, but it did the trick.

If I were you, I would definitely take it to a shop and have them put the springs in. Sometimes you can compress them by hand, but it's painful if you don't get it exactly right the first time...

Trust me, the improvement in handling will be well worth the money and time!
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

No reply from IKON yet, .

Comment

No reply from IKON yet, .
                              That seems strange. I mailed them a few weeks ago with questions about a set of longer than stock shocks for my 1100 and they came right back with a reply. Perhaps they are shut down for the holidays already? Remember they are 16 hours ahead of us, you may lose a day just with the time shift... :?

Mark

Comment

I'll attribute it to holiday's...so we'll see.

Comment

Working...
                                X