Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Rear Shocks - Questions, Feedback, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would love too , BUT!!

"I take the stage" I accept on one condition. "long pause" Some one %&$%^%$% measures the diameter of there shock mount studs!!! "everyone amazed and shocked" My GS is my ONLY transportation right now. 8O I can't take the stock shocks off and see how big they are, find out there are larger or smaller than the HD ones. Then put the bike back together with stock units, hunt for solution around town. Then take the bike apart again, and replace shocks with what I think MIGHT work!!!

Comment

My GS is my ONLY transportation right now. I can't take the stock shocks off and see how big they are, find out there are larger or smaller than the HD ones. Then put the bike back together with stock units, hunt for solution around town.
      Sure you can. It will take all of 10 minutes to pull one shock off and measure the studs. I don't have an 850 or I could tell you what you have. My 1100E has a 12mm stud on top with a 10mm eye on the bottom for a clevis on the shock body. I don' t think that is the same as yours, however.

Mark

Comment

Thanks but diff.

My '80 GS850G has the same size chrome cap nuts on both sides TOP AND BOTTOM?

Comment

My '80 GS850G has the same size chrome cap nuts on both sides TOP AND BOTTOM?
          Then it should be a piece of cake to check. Just pull the caps and take a vernier to the stud to see what size it is. That should take maybe 5 minutes intead of the 10 I originally estimated to pull a shock off.

It really is a simple thing to pull one shock to check, I changed out my shocks in maybe 25 minutes and that was without hurrying at all. Give it a try and you will see how simple it is. This is one of the areas where our bikes shine compared to new stuff. On my ZX-9, pulling the shock would take a good hour at least by the time you pulled all the bodywork required and dug into the guts of the chassis. My 1100E is MUCH easier than that...

Mark

Comment

OK, Is it safe

While the bike is on it's center stand can I take the upper shock mount nut off the bike without damaging the stud or the shock popping off the stud? :roll:

Joel

Comment

While the bike is on it's center stand can I take the upper shock mount nut off the bike without damaging the stud or the shock popping off the stud?
              On the center stand is perfect. That way the rear wheel is hanging at full droop and there is no spring force on the mounts. You can always pull a nut off without the shock popping off. In fact, you will probably have to pull a little and "pursuade" the shock to slide free from the studs if it has been mounted for a length of time.

Mark

Comment

Putting the shocks back on isnt as easy, but if you sit with your legs between them, you can use them to push up the wheel. I actually had the wife come out and push on the shocks while I lifted up the wheel.

I ended up going with a pair of Progressive Series 14's with S&W heavy duty springs, from CRC2. I am extremely happy, and have about $100 in the shocks.

~Adam

Comment

Swifty posted
                  Has anybody used these before?

I want to rebuild my ft forks. What do I need and do I need any special tools?

Answer, YES, I have a set on my bike at this very second, and as of this posting am very happy with them (they were dirt cheap off flea bay and I got them from the same company as that auction)
                  Second question depends fully on what you got.

Comment

Ok, did it but eyelet to big??

Ok, you guys were right I just took off teh top cap nut and was able to pull the shock way from the frame. Only problem, the eylet and bushing for the Harley shock is to big for the stud on teh frame of my '80 GS850G. BUT, the stock hock seems to have a rubber and metal spacer/collar in the eyelet of the shock? Is thsi pressed in? Can I get it out. I tried tapping on it with a socket and hammer LIGHTLY and it did not budge. Would a press get it out or destroy it? :roll:

Comment

Working...
                    X