"79 gs850 kick start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"79 gs850 kick start

Hello. I just purchased this bike and tried the kickstart yesterday. It doesn't turn the motor over. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

Thanks.

Rick

Does the electric starter work? Is their any resistance with the
    kick starter Need more info

Comment

Re: "79 gs850 kick start

Do you have the bike in neutral or the clutch lever pulled it? You cant kickstart it if its in gear.

Earl

Originally posted by rpickle
      Hello. I just purchased this bike and tried the kickstart yesterday. It doesn't turn the motor over. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

Thanks.

Rick
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Electric works. I was just trying the kick start. There doesn't seem to be much resistance at all.

Thanks.

Rick

Comment

There isnt much resistance on a 4 cylinder. On my 79 750, I could "kickstart" it while sitting on it by reaching down with my right hand and pushing the kickstart lever through. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by rpickle
          Electric works. I was just trying the kick start. There doesn't seem to be much resistance at all.

Thanks.

Rick
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Yes, clutch lever pulled, key on, green light for neutral. I don't get any putts when I kick it.

This is normal? Probably never was used. I think it is a great standby, but not when or if it doesn't work.....

Thanks.

Rick

Comment

with bike in neutral, and clutch OUT, kick should work.

Comment

I'm confused.

Rick

Comment

It is necessary to pull the clutch in ONLY when using the electric starter because their is a saftey switch located on the clutch lever that completes the starter circuit.
                  The kick start turns the motor over thru the trans & clutch, if you pull the clutch in it disconnects the kick start

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                    It is necessary to pull the clutch in ONLY when using the electric starter because their is a saftey switch located on the clutch lever that completes the starter circuit.
                    The kick start turns the motor over thru the trans & clutch, if you pull the clutch in it disconnects the kick start
                    Now there is something I didn't know.
                    Thanks Lynn 8)
                    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                    2000 Kawasaki Concours
                    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Ditto. Thanks guys. If I get the canoe out and float over to my shed, I'll try it with the clutch out. I'm sure it will work, since I was pulling it in.

Appreciate the info. I'm sure I'll be probing the knowledge base often while I'm getting this bike ready to ride.

Rick

Comment

gs kick start

hey
                        i just picked up a 550 for a project. it needs gone through but my bike also wont turn the motor with the kick start. I have no idea why that would be.

Comment

You'll have a much improved chance for some help if you start your own post.
                          Preferably one just to introduce yourself to the collective with your location also posted.
                          Re-opening a long since buried post doesn't help.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                          X