Motorcycling safety tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcycling safety tips

I thought it would be nice idea to start a thread with safety tips. I've been riding steet for half of my life now, and I'll admit that sometimes I forget (or don't practice) the basics of safe riding techniques. It being spring time and the season is now upon us, maybe this can be a little refresher course. I know Keith, nothing should replace a true MSF refresher course.

Here are the rules: Everyone post one of their favorite tips to help keep us all safe. Try not to duplicate anyone else, and we should have a good read. One topic per person means everyone can have a chance to comment. Try to keep the topics for general safe riding, not something like "How to keep it straight when your wheelieing" or "Being safe while lane splitting."

I won't start, becasue I already posted my favorite tip in the "This is Scary" thread about keeping the brake light lit while at a stop.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

This is 2 part. Hope I'm not breaking the rules.

1a. AVOID rding in Blind Spots.
    1b. When passing, I ALWAYS look at the driver and his side mirror. If I see them moving their head or look like they are "Attempting" to look, it usually means they are coming over. I either brake or accelerate, depending on the situation.

Good Thread Jethro.

8)

Comment

When making a left at a spot where it is common for the drivers behind you to go into the shoulder and pass on the right (no light or sign) I slow early and postion myself in the middle of the lane, or even a little to the right so that they can't pass. I've had retarded drivers come very close while passing on the right. The other thing is that the one car that sees you will be the "blocker" and other cars are more likely to notice it or at least crash into him first.

Comment

A very simple bit of advice....when driving down a street with parallel parking..watch for car doors opening. I have seen riders ride inches from parked cars! All it woud take is one car door.....you lose!

Comment

Learn how to use your brakes and know what the stopping abilities of your motorcycle and tires are. If you change tires types or brands find out at what point they lock up before you have an emergency situation. It really sucks when you try a brake and avoid maneuver and the first thing that happens is you lock up the tires and get out of shape.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Don't get *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed off and retaliate at the stupidity of other drivers. On a bike you'll always lose.

Comment

Look or scan in ALL directions.

Kids running after a call, deer or critters in a field will run in front of you.
              Look for the door openings, as Tamara, Elliemae stated.
              Turn your head when you look THRU a turn, not at the front tire or side of the road.

Scan every where, all the time.
              You need eyes this big..... 8O 8O
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

ALWAYS assume that other drivers DON'T see you. That's what they usually say After the crash! :?
                sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by KGB
                  Turn your head when you look THRU a turn, not at the front tire or side of the road.
                  I'm getting bettter at this. You have had to badger me constantly about this when we ride together!

Comment

First rule of motrorcycle safety: (and the most overlooked)

Check your tire pressures BEFORE you mount up.
                    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Draw an invisible circle around you at least 25 ft in diameter, "call it the invisible circle" and don't let anyone within that circle without your knowledge or total attention. Watch the eyes and front wheels of other drivers and anticipate anticipate anticipate what you will do and where you will go if someone invades your space or does something unexpected. In other words always be looking for an out. Don't let yourself be distracted.

Comment

Ride with out additional distractions like MP3 players and the like. You need to be focused on the task at hand.
                        Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
                        2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

Nice. Keep 'em coming guys...
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

During a wheelie, when changing gears.......

Ooops.
                            I mean:
                            Don't do stupid things in places not suited to doing stupid things.
                            Race on a race track, pop wheelies in closed off areas.

Racing cars from light to light is like a bicycle racing a wheel chair.
                            No matter how much he revs or chirps...
                            It's done,
                            You won,
                            Move on.

Comment

when preparing to dragracing the bike next to you always make sure you put you flip up style helmet down before the light changes

Comment

Working...
                              X