No announcement yet.

Motorcycling safety tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When riding in groups have some sort of "safety briefing" before the ride begins so everyone is on the same page and knows what to expect.
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

Comment

RE: the Armorall comment on Page 2. Also ALWAYS resist the Idea of applying ANY such product to your Bike's Seat. I know it makes it nice and shiny, but unless you desire to know your Instrument Cluster on a VERY personal basis Trust me on this one!
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

When passing traffic on two lane highways and rural roads move to the outside (far left) of the passing lane. This way if someone else decides to pull out on you to pass without looking you don't have to move far to avoid contact. If you do have to use the brakes to avoid contact you will be on a straighter path for more effective braking. The more your speed differential the farther left you should be.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Good tips, everyone!

The best thing is to practice, practice with the bike so you know its, and your, limits.

Ride within those limits and be aware of what's around you.

It's been warm here in the NW, and I've been out praticing when I have the time. I've been riding for 37 years and I'm a MSF instructor (retired) and I do this every year. By July you'll be faster and safer.
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Give your bike a good look before going for the ride.

Check tire pressure and tread depth.
            Check fluid, oil,fuel, and if applies radiator.
            Check chain tension when cold, lube the chain when warm.
            Make sure all the levers work correctly, throttle returns to idle position.
            Brakes levers retract, and brakes don't drag.
            Lights work, high/low beam, signal lights and of course the brake light/s.

Clean your shield, wether on the helmet or on the bike.
            Takes less time to do this than it did to type.
            Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Know your road conditions.

If you are going on a road that is new to you, take it easy and learn it first.

If you are on a "favorite" road for the first ride of the season, assume all the corners have sand, gravel, etc...

Brad tt

Comment

Around this part of the country traffic on the highways tends to move in clumps. I try to ride between the clumps, which can be up to a mile apart.

This allows a much more relaxed ride as compared to riding in a clump of cars and having to know where they are around you at all times.

I check my mirrors regularly to maintain my space and also to keep track of any traffic that is catching up from behind.

8)

Comment

From time to time, go to an empty parking lot and practice bike control. Grab some biker friends and make a group trip out of it. There's a particular office park in Mass. I've been to a couple of weekends where security keeps an eye on us, but doesn't seem to mind that we're there. Most likely because we're obviously practicing skills rather than practicing wheelies and burnouts. :twisted:

Do some quick stops. Carefully explore the limits of traction, find the lock-up point of both your rear and front brakes, and learn to reliably threshold brake (get as close as you can to locking them up without actually locking them - a skidding tire has 30% less traction than a rolling tire).

If the parking lot has a crappy sandy section, ride through it at walking pace and do the same thing, just in case you need to threshold brake on a more slippery surface sometime.

Practice some slaloms, both low speed and quicker swerves like an emergency lane change. Rather than cones, grab some old tennis balls, cut them in half, and lay them down as markers. You can run over them harmlessly if you don't get it right.

Doing it once is good. Doing it early each spring just as you start riding again is better. Doing it every few months to constantly remind yourself is best.

All this will help you control the bike better and save your butt if you find yourself in an emergency situation. If you follow the other tips in this thread and ride smart, you can often AVOID the emergency situation in the first place. 8)

Comment

Rather than passively ride along in traffic, I try to manipulate the traffic to my advantage. I pick spaces/positions where it makes it difficult if not impossible for someone to get me. I use cars as "blockers" whenever I can.
                    Passing through intersections, I usually will be in the left lane and if I can, I adjust my speed to have a car alongside in the right lane as I go through the intersection. I prefer to be about even with the front bumper of the car along side. I dont follow trucks. They effectively block a motorcycle from view and someone will be planning on pulling out as soon as a truck passes by, never knowing there is a motorcycle following it and they will not look once they have decided to pull out after the truck passes. If I move ahead of a car in traffic, I go by quickly to be clear of them as soon as possible. I never ride alongside a car in a position between the dash of the car and the rear bumper. In city traffic, I check every access to my intended path. That is every intersection, drive, alley, parking lot and parked car with someone in the driver's seat.

Earl
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Check your mirror to see how cool you look 8) , before you get on the bike.
                      In other words, stay focused on the ride and look where you are going!

...and keep your foot over the brake when you are doing a wh...

Comment

Originally posted by Pillage
                        Check your mirror to see how cool you look 8) , before you get on the bike.
                        In other words, stay focused on the ride and look where you are going!

...and keep your foot over the brake when you are doing a wh...
                        Well i made it this far, after 30+ years

Looking forward to poofing Earl, before he re-tyres

Comment

If your're running late and in a hurry, leave the bike home and take the car. Being in a hurry causes you to become distracted, sloppy, and potentially hazzardous. A lot of stupid things happen when you rush.
                          1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
                          The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

I'm never in a hurry. I just ride more briskly than normal. :-)

Earl
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

If you MUST do wheelies, make sure your front wheel comes down GENTLTY! Otherwise you'll be replacing fork seals.
                              Kevin
                              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Zook

Do some quick stops. Carefully explore the limits of traction, find the lock-up point of both your rear and front brakes, and learn to reliably threshold brake (get as close as you can to locking them up without actually locking them - a skidding tire has 30% less traction than a rolling tire).
                                Good thing to do when riding two up. Things change with the extra weight.

All great info.

Gerry

Comment

Working...
                                X