No announcement yet.

Motorcycling safety tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always make sure to cover both the horn and the brake when any cage pulls up to a stop sign. Then I will give them a quick beep if they start to move. Remember that after speed and substances, cars failing to lend right of way is the next leading cause of motorcycle accidents.

Also on any unfamiliar bike I will not leave the parking lot until I have a feel for the nuances of the ride

Comment

Originally posted by 80gs1000e
      If you must drink rootbeer while driving your motorcycle, get a cupholder. If you place it between your legs you may be distracted.
      Will this work as a cup holder?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
        Originally posted by 80gs1000e
        If you must drink rootbeer while driving your motorcycle, get a cupholder. If you place it between your legs you may be distracted.
        Will this work as a cup holder?

I wonder if she rides a fatboy ??

Comment

Originally posted by pidgey
          I wonder if she rides a fatboy ??
          It's possible, look at her helmet!

Comment

A quick safe way to avoid smaller objects that appear suddenly on the road such as potholes, manhole covers and assorted debris is to countersteer around them. What you do is get the bike loose under you by unweighting with your feet and then use standard countsteering techniques to push the bike either left or right to avoid the object and once clear of the object countersteer the bike back to its previous track. You are actually pushing the bike out from underneath you and then pulling it back. You can quickly move the bike off track by a foot or so and somtimes that's all you need to avoid hitting something.

Also while trying to avoid objects on the road while cornering, try to go inside the object if all possible. If you try to go outside you will need to go much wider to avoid contact with things like engine cases, exhaust and footpegs. If you go inside it you only have clear it with the tires.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

When riding at dusk (or dawn)in less urban areas,keep your eyes peeled for critters,especially deer.And remember,if you see one, there are probably more behind it.

Great thread!

Mitch.

Comment

Be your own worst critic. Then find known ways or techniques to correct the problem. I keep getting better doing this. 8)

Comment

I don't fancy your's much Mark

Comment

Don't be afraid of the ride. Be aware and ride smart. If I get that bad voice in my head, I shut it out and ride smart. I won't let the fear factor distract me.

Comment

When riding in wet conditions...act as if you have no brakes. Roll up to stops and use the motor to slow you as much as possible. In the wet it is more imortant than ever to use even braking from both the front and the rear.

Rear brake panic stops will have you in big trouble in a split second.

Comment

I'd be very careful with using the motor to slow you down too much though - because it's only affecting the rear wheel...

Comment

keep an eye on your mirrors, so that you always know what is around you, especially when at a stop light or sign. (just watched the video Michael posted)

Comment

Drive defensively, i.e. You are approaching an intersection where you do not have a stop sign, but the crossroad does, you see a car coming up to it on the crossroad, plan what you will do if the driver does not stop.

Comment

When approching an intersection where I have a green light, I always slow down till I can visually confirm that cross traffic has actually stopped.

Makes my sphincter tighten when a cage blows through a red light in front of me. Don't ever want to experience meeting one in the middle of the intersection.

Comment

The main thing is to be aware of the power you have between your legs (I know I know) and ride smart.Ride your abilty not the bikes ability.

Comment

Working...
                                X