No announcement yet.

Motorcycling safety tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two things ... first, regarding Nerobro's comments on why he won't buy an ABS equipped car, I must disagree. According to the "experts" at "Car and Driver" citing both their own tests AND the information gleaned from ABS experts, ABS will ALWAYS stop a car faster than a non ABS equipped version of the same car with only ONE exception... On perfectly dry, clean, pavement, in a straight line, locking the brakes will stop a car faster.

The reason, as alluded to earlier, is that ABS allows the full braking capability of any vehicle to be realized on varying road conditions up to the threshold where traction is lost, AND it allows steering control to be maintained while doing it. No matter how good a driver is, it is impossible for any human being to sense traction loss faster (and correct for it) than even the worst modern ABS system.

"Car and Driver" backed this up several years ago with a thorough test using identical vehicles, one with ABS and one without. The ABS equipped car ALWAYS stopped in less distance with that one exception previously mentioned.

Most people (Nerobro included) think they can stop faster on their own because the sensation of the brakes releasing while you're "stomped" on them feels so "wrong." Locking the brakes in the snow and sliding along without directional control of the car may "feel" more effective, but it's not.

Sorry to re-hijack the thread -- now back to suggestions for safety!

BEFORE riding, and especially after purchasing a supposedly well maintained motorcycle, check ALL the bolts and fasteners for tightness -- trust me on this!

I bought a very well maintained bike from a guy who obviously cared about it, and made the mistake of assuming that everything was properly checked out. Imagine my surprise not long after buying the bike to come back from a leisurely ride only to realize that one of the upper rear shock absorber nuts was GONE, and if the lower had loosened a bit more I probably would have gone for an unexpected thrill ride of the worst variety! 8O

I got off VERY lucky that day! People would have commented on my unfortunate "accident," but it most definitely would have been a "crash" due to driver error...

Ride Safely, All!
    Steve 8)

Comment

Perhaps a point has been bypassed in this portion of the discussion. I wont debate ABS systems in cars. However, I do not support their use on motorcycles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont believe you have independent braking available on a motorcycle with ABS. There are times with a bike that one may need only one wheel being braked, or differential braking between the two wheels. That is why I dont approve of it on motorcycles.

Earl

[quote="Planecrazy"]
      Most people (Nerobro included) think they can stop faster on their own because the sensation of the brakes releasing while you're "stomped" on them feels so "wrong." Locking the brakes in the snow and sliding along without directional control of the car may "feel" more effective, but it's not.

Sorry to re-hijack the thread -- now back to suggestions for safety!
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
        Perhaps a point has been bypassed in this portion of the discussion. I wont debate ABS systems in cars. However, I do not support their use on motorcycles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont believe you have independent braking available on a motorcycle with ABS. There are times with a bike that one may need only one wheel being braked, or differential braking between the two wheels. That is why I dont approve of it on motorcycles.

Earl
        You are correct, Earl, that I was referring specifically to their use on cars. I tend to agree with you at this time regarding their use on motorcycles (for the reasons you bring up), but I suspect that as technology continues to advance we may soon find that "smart" systems for bikes are able to interpret multiple factors and eventually make ABS the best choice for bikes as well.

I don't think the current systems properly address every scenario, but I'm willing to keep an open mind to future developments.

Regards,
        Steve 8)

Comment

Originally posted by KGB
          May is motorcycle awareness month here in MA.

Any other states promote this idea?

This is partly because most of the bikers in Luxembourg are Dutch. Every year, a truckload of Dutch bikers come down into Luxembourg to ride, camp, holiday, party and generally have fun. Tourism is the third largest activity here, so it matters.

We get 12-14 biker deaths every year. Not many in the grand scale of things, but every one is one too many.

So every year, the government organises a mail campaign, supported by private subscribers, and mailshots every single household in the Duchy to remind us all that the bikers are back on the roads. This mailshot includes not only a general awareness message, but also, specific advice about how to look out for motorcycles which runs a couple pages, statistics on the specific causes of biker deaths from the previous year, and a 15 point biker safety plan, plus a recommendation to the free bike safety courses they run here - similar to MSF.

They also have a general roadside billboard program which puts across the message of the month. At this time of year, all the billboards are turned over to warning cagers that the bikes are back, and to watch out for them.

This year, for the first time, they have instituted a new program which puts a roadside board at the start and end of every section of road on which a biker died last year. The board shows a large black cross, and the word 'Moto' (Bike).

Kind of a nudge to us, as well.

Personally, I think the guys here do a great job.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy
            Two things ... first, regarding Nerobro's comments on why he won't buy an ABS equipped car, I must disagree. According to the "experts" at "Car and Driver" citing both their own tests AND the information gleaned from ABS experts, ABS will ALWAYS stop a car faster than a non ABS equipped version of the same car with only ONE exception... On perfectly dry, clean, pavement, in a straight line, locking the brakes will stop a car faster.

*snip*

Well.... I think that's backwards. On clean dry pavement, locking the tires will not stop you faster. At that point you're exceeding the maximum slip angle of hte tires. (on street tires this is only 3-5%) On snow, or gravel, exceeding that number lets you build up a small "dam" of material.

You're right, loosing control is a bad thing. And in the snow you need to make the choice of getting maximum braking or steering. That's one of the two funny things about snow. The other is that snow sticks to snow better than anything else, short of studs.

If all cars came with a disable switch, (for the same reason there's one on all the bikes that come with ABS) or 4 channel abs, I'd go with ABS every time. when I bought my car, nobody would tell me weather or not the ABS was 4 channel. That's where you really see the ABS advantages. like you mentioneed, the car can adjsut each wheel for different road conditions, which is something even the best driver can't do. Even shoey doesn't have 4 feet. And much to my anoyance, I don't have adjustable brake bias. :-) Hey... guess what bikes do have... adjustable brake bias.

As for me and ABS. I'm completely comfortable using it, I don't freak out and lift off the pedal, I know to stomp and steer. And I don't... I know I'm not faster at stopping than all ABS in all conditions. Especially rain.

NXP is a global semiconductor company creating solutions that enable secure connections for a smarter world.

You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
            If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
            1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
            1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
            1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
            1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
            1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro
              Well.... I think that's backwards. On clean dry pavement, locking the tires will not stop you faster. At that point you're exceeding the maximum slip angle of hte tires. (on street tires this is only 3-5%) On snow, or gravel, exceeding that number lets you build up a small "dam" of material.
              ...sounds logical, doesn't it, Greg? Unfortunately it's not logical, and my statement is not backwards. "Car and Driver" did the tests in very controlled conditions with (as I recall) a pro race car driver at the wheel, and found that EVERY time on perfectly clean dry pavement that locking the tires stopped the car faster than ABS or conventional braking. Something about the way a skidding tire deforms increases the contact patch and adds additional friction. Of course they were quick to point out that you almost never find PERFECTLY clean dry roads anywhere...

Regarding snow traction, the reason ABS is more effective than locking the tires, is that compacted snow quickly forms an ice-like surface that does NOT stick to snow much at all. The key to stopping in snow is to keep the tire rotating so that it is constantly in contact with fresh snow which, as you mentioned, tends to stick pretty well to surrounding snow. It obviously helps to have a tire with a good snow rating, but regardless the ABS is going to be the most effective means of stopping while maintaining control...

Regards,
              Steve 8)

Comment

It might not immediately be a safety tip,, but if your riding in really busy traffic, or are out in the middle of nowhere and you run out of gas, things could get ugly.

always know the limits of your tank, and check the gauge often.

poot

Comment

Poot wrote
                  It might not immediately be a safety tip,, but if your riding in really busy traffic, or are out in the middle of nowhere and you run out of gas, things could get ugly.
                  This is a very good point. When I was riding my Goldwing, I used the reserve because the gas mileage varied too much to just keep it on reserve and keep track of the tripmeter. If I thought I was nearing reserve while I was coming up on merging traffic, or if I felt I needed to pass a group if vehicles to get clear of a potentially dangerous situation; I would switch over to reserve before to avoid having to do so in a situation where I needed to accelerate NOW.
                  JP
                  1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                  1992 Concours
                  2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                  2007 FJR

Comment

When I stop, I put my foot on the rear brake. This keeps the brake light illuminated and frees my right hand to do other things (like the throttle, etc.). When I start out, I put both feet on the pegs as soon as possible. This gives me more stability (e.g. peg weighting), and I have access to both the brake and the shifter. I see lots of riders rolling along with their feet sticking out like stabilizers, but they have no access to either control at that point.
                    kk

Comment

I only have two and they work in any moving vehicle.

A) always leave yourself an out. if its been mentioned before its still worth repeating. never let yourself get in a situation where you have nowhere to go.

B) when the *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ does hit the fan, always look where you WANT to go. if you fixate on a telephone pole you will automatically steer into it.

Comment

One thing I've learned is to not ride past your own ability. Don't ride faster than your headlight in the dark . Give yourself enough time and space to deal with the unexpected. Don't overgrip on grooved pavement. And be real carefull of uphill u-turns at slow speeds (which accounts for two of the three times I've dumped my bike! ). The only thing to be intoxicated by on a bike is the sheer joy of riding and the subtle roar of that four cylinder engine between your legs.

Comment

i haven't read or followed this post but just wanted to contribute a scaneed copy of the expericed riders hand book which has lots of good tips and common motorcycle accident situations that occur and can be avoided.

-Ryan
                          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                          82 Kat 1000 Project
                          05 CRF450x
                          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

One thing I'd like to add:

Beware the decreasing radius turn. Freeway exit ramps can hold some unkind surprises. If you don't know the ramp, slow down. Especially if you can't see well thru the turn.

Comment

Originally posted by gesnerj59
                              One thing I'd like to add:

Beware the decreasing radius turn. Freeway exit ramps can hold some unkind surprises. If you don't know the ramp, slow down. Especially if you can't see well thru the turn.
                              this is a BIG one in the mountains, if your ever touring.

I had some near-misses when hitting some decreasing-radius hairpins out in B.C.

Comment

ok

Hmm some GREAT tips, here are a few more.

Just a few, ones I tell myself constantly...

Pay attention to the road ahead, not how the cars in front are driving. Being lazy on a long ride in a cuvy unknow country road saw me going over a tight turn and railroad tracks without time to slow down safely -only to LEAN!

Check your mirrors before and when slowing down, another lazy part for me, though I always do it in a car?? And leave enough space in front for a clean getaway if someone comes crushing in.

This one isn't for everone, but I had an instructor take me on a 'hazaard' day. We took mega upgrades, downgrades, gravel, wet bridgedecks, potholes, dirtroads, graded, groved construction lane transition, you name it. After a full day of riding these surfaces, and in the rain, I am much more familiar with them and do not fear, but respect each condition. Much more so than my husband who has not had experience with all of them. If you can, take a little time to explore different surfaces safely when there is no traffic. That way coming across them later you will have some working knowledge of what is needed, and how much. And, don't gear down or brake sharply on a surface like mentioned, too much traction will cause slippage. No sudden movements.

Keep correct lane position, and please don't ride on the shoulder or the center line, I see people doing this all the time and I just think " please do not ride near me!". And ride correct group formation, NOT side by side.

If you come on anothe rider, don't pass them in their lane, or wrap around them in a group in the lane. Harley riders that I do not know do this to me all the time and I hate it. I would never join up with someone I didn't know, and usually those who do it to me are wreckless and ride unsafely. I have ended up enveloped in a group, or had them all race past me in my slow lane, even on a multi lane road where they did not need to do that.

Stay in GEAR on the road. In most places it is illegal to be in neutral, even at a light. Keep one foot on the brake, and the bike in both hands so you can react fast. If you slipped it into neutral and put your hands in your pockets with both feet on the groud, you would FAIL a motorcycle test immediately.

Assume everone is out to kill you. Keep sharp on emergency maneuvers, make sure you can do them on your bike instinctively.

Use your horn, if it just beeps get two

Keep safe!
                                Fawn

Comment

Working...
                                X