No announcement yet.

Fuel gauge sending unit repair with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely a great manual to the fuel gauge...I have just fixed my (later model) with the "spring screw" now Its working (almost perfect!) still missing 5 mm from top of the meter, but wha´t the heck.
    I am in the midle of Carb restoration also, and found It convienient that the home made manual was on the front section of the forum. Shouldn't this fuel manual also be there, and maby other good stuff!
    All the best
    Otto

Comment

I'm glad people are getting some use out of this!
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thanks for the exellent info, as of last night, my gauge is gauging again!
        I would advise draining the tank completely before working however - my fuelcap leaked slightly when the tank was downside up.

A beer to the author!

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
          I am in the midle of Carb restoration also, and found It convienient that the home made manual was on the front section of the forum. Shouldn't this fuel manual also be there...?
          Otto
          This definitely needs to be saved on the site like the carb overhaul articles.

Tomcat

Comment

Originally posted by Arfdog View Post

A beer to the author!
            Cheers! Glad it helped you out!
            Currently bikeless
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

This explains why mine works when it's full but then drops away to empty after about 35 miles & stays there then....
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

bump back to the front page for people with this question recently, and i nominate it for a sticky?

Comment

Glad this got resurrected, but I have a question. One of my bullet connectors let go finally. Although the unit never did read well in the 2 years I've owned my beast, after I redid both bullet connectors with spade connectors, using dielectric grease and then insulating them well, and then refilling my tank with exactly 3 gallons of gas, the gauge read the 1st time I started the bike. So far, it hasn't worked again for a week now, staying below the "E" line. Suggestions?

Comment

My GS110ED gauge was not working either

I pulled the sensor (I was Por-15 sealing the tank anyway) and checked the resistance; it basically came down to bad connections which I cleaned and resoldered and now all works fine.

Posplayr

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
                      Glad this got resurrected, but I have a question. One of my bullet connectors let go finally. Although the unit never did read well in the 2 years I've owned my beast, after I redid both bullet connectors with spade connectors, using dielectric grease and then insulating them well, and then refilling my tank with exactly 3 gallons of gas, the gauge read the 1st time I started the bike. So far, it hasn't worked again for a week now, staying below the "E" line. Suggestions?
                      Normally, that means the wires are backwards, I believe. But you say it worked briefly? When did it stop?
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

i dunno about you pauly, but my sending unit was working fine. i've traced the issue to my headlight bucket and i'm confused. i was under the impression that the grey wire in the deal ( if i'm look at the diagram right ) is a ground.. but i'm reading 1.2 volts on it when i test it back to ground, and nothing at all when i test it back to the + .. there is another 12 volt hotline (orange) in the plug, so i'm confused :P

Comment

I have a good one, mine failed, I checked the connections, looked good, but replaced anyway, still doesn't work. I go to fill the tank and notice a large black plastic rectangle floating freely around in the gas tank.... well there's your problem right there!

Comment

Awesome

I am pretty new here,and just wanted say that your post is Really the kind of thing I came to this site in search of.Anyone with a couple bucks can buy a replacement,but instead of a link to a dealer or fische site.You showed us all how to repair what we already have!!!! Although I dont need this particular info right now,I know where to find it when I do!!
                            Thanks a bunch,and happy riding to you!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                              Normally, that means the wires are backwards, I believe. But you say it worked briefly? When did it stop?
                              On most of our bikes, the white/black wire is ground. Anyway, the unit has never worked 100%, but since only 1 wire broke, and it wasn't the ground wire, I couldn;t have possibly connected them wrong, because when I repaured the broken one I used spade connectors, and the other is still the now clean,pretty,and greased up bullet connector. And, yes, I made sure to tighten up the bullet connector that was still on there. I think I just might need to do this adjustment. It's just a basic rheostat type deal, I'm just too lazy to drain and remove my tank AGAIN for the umpteenth time this year. But, then again, when its off, I'll have another excuse to paint more, different, even stranger things on my bike!!!

Comment

Wow, this thread has legs!

I'm glad people have gotten some use out of my tinkering.
                                Currently bikeless

Comment

Working...
                                X