Fuel gauge sending unit repair with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try this first

My recent GS650 purchase had many problems including the fuel gauge. The previous owner told me the guy he purchsed it from said it hadnt worked for a couple of years and had been checked over etc etc. After reading this article I decided to pull the sender unit and see if it was beyond repair, adjusted the tension but there was still no reading then Duh!! I realised that the spade connector on the unit that is steel was badly corroded. A quick rub some petroleum jelly and a new connector and all was hunky dorry. I now know the potentiometer will be ok for a long time now. Thank you Jethro.

Comment

Awesome thread!!! We need more of this kinda thing from senior members! Hats off Jethro!

Comment

What does the hose that comes off the cover to the sender do ? Its open to the air anyway under the cover it goes on because the cover doesnt go over the whole sender ?

Comment

in case the sender unit gasket leaks, it diverts the leak away from the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
            Awesome thread!!! We need more of this kinda thing from senior members! Hats off Jethro!
            Hey! There ya go! My 15 minutes of fame has lasted years with this thread!

Glad to see people are still getting some good use out of this!
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Nice infom Mr. Jethro.

I rebuilt my GS1150 gas sending unit and gas gauge last week. That
              was a pain-in-the-ass after taking it off 5-6x. Make sure the sending
              unit is good with an analog Ohm meter whereas you can see the sweep
              from 0-100 Ohms as you move the float up and down. And that it is stable throughout the entire sweep without any glitches. Just remove and bend the tap. Once this is good, the rest will be point to the meter as suspect.

My situation was unique, as it reacted very different. It would always
              stay at 3/4 full with nothing in it. The short test goes to full, and needle
              does not go to zero when open.

So, the guage was and is the suspect after passing the gauge test. I found the 56 Ohm resistor completely separated from the PCB, as it tested fine out of the circuit. I've never seen a soldered resistor comepletely fall-off a PCB. When it is hooked-up, the resistance will
              be pulled down to 35 Ohms, so the resistor must be isolated to test, or have one end desoldered and measure across resistor.

Mine is working great now as it should. I also recommend 10-25-40-60-
              80 Ohm 1/4W resistors resistors to aid in the troubleshooting procedure.
              It is a very simple economic technique as resistors are only a few cents each.

I can't ride a bike without a gas gauge !!

Comment

Thanks for the explanation on the hose to the sender cover, makes sense now.

Comment

just did this on my 81 1100e and now the needle moves don't know how accurate it will be, but its cool. i always keep track of my miles per tank.

Comment

Hey Jethro,

did the 2 wires from the sending unit have the same end connectors or were they different/opposite so that it would only be connected to the harness 1 way?

Paul

Comment

Mine are color coded GS1100ED

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        Mine are color coded GS1100ED

I'm asking to see if I could plug them in in reverse

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado85gs550 View Post
                          I'm asking to see if I could plug them in in reverse

so that Full reads Empty and vice versa

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado85gs550 View Post
                            Hey Jethro,

did the 2 wires from the sending unit have the same end connectors or were they different/opposite so that it would only be connected to the harness 1 way?

Paul
                            Ummm, pretty sure they have the same, cheap Suzuki bullet connectors on both sides. You could plug them in reverse- I think.
                            Currently bikeless
                            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Very informative thread jethro....thanks.
                              I took my tank off to remove a failed sealer job and found out the PO must have left the unit in the tank when he sealed it.

I was trying to clean up all the old sealer and found that I did not like the possibilities involved and so I ordered a new unit.
                              Now the dealer I ordered from has told me that the unit is no longer available. Guess I will have to clean my old one up as good as possible and try to get by with it.

The clean one in your photos sure puts mine to shame.

BTW, anybody know where I can get a good sending unit?

Thanks again for your thread, I can see it has helped many GSer's.
                              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                                Very informative thread jethro....thanks.
                                I took my tank off to remove a failed sealer job and found out the PO must have left the unit in the tank when he sealed it.

I was trying to clean up all the old sealer and found that I did not like the possibilities involved and so I ordered a new unit.
                                Now the dealer I ordered from has told me that the unit is no longer available. Guess I will have to clean my old one up as good as possible and try to get by with it.

The clean one in your photos sure puts mine to shame.

BTW, anybody know where I can get a good sending unit?

Thanks again for your thread, I can see it has helped many GSer's.
                                I think I have a spare off a 78 GS1000 if you are interested.
                                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                                79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Working...
                                X