'77 GS-550 aftermarket exhaust options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'77 GS-550 aftermarket exhaust options

I'm sorta looking for 4-1 or 4-2 exhaust for my g/f's 77 GS-550, seems all I could find was chrome..not what we're looking for and it seems silly to pay to have it painted. The stock exhaust is in ok shape, but there are some small holes in each collector and it's a bit beaten up.

I'm tempted to get black header paint, clean and scuff the chrome and just paint it ;-).. hrm, jb-weld the holes.. I know that'd hold up pretty well (assuming I get the rust cleared off well enough)..

Just thought I'd check and see if anybody knows anything that's available...

I've got a Mac 4 into 1 Black ceramic coated exhaust. The ceramic coating is holding up well. Much better than paint would.

Comment

Where did you find it though? I had a Mac on an '83 KZ-750 and thought it was pretty well made for the money. I checked dennis kirk and all they listed was chrome last I looked...arg....

Comment

look at CycleRecycle2 - www.usedmotorcycleparts.com

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by braindead0
          Where did you find it though? I had a Mac on an '83 KZ-750 and thought it was pretty well made for the money. I checked dennis kirk and all they listed was chrome last I looked...arg....
          I found mine on Ebay. I only paid $77 plus shipping, and it was brand new. I guess I was just lucky.

Comment

I have a 4-1 exhaust in black. its not ceramic coated though, i'm going to sandblast it and then paint it black again with grill paint. Just watch E-bay.

Comment

Saw this on ebay if you are interested looks ok. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUK...QQcmdZViewItem
              "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
              GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
              1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
              1979 GS1000SN The new hope
              1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Just though, 4-1 would probably require removal of center stand... I'd hate to lose that (just love those things ;-).

Perhaps I'll try to fix up the old exhaust..

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

I picked up an unknown but probably MAC, chrome but rusty, 4-into-1 header on eBay for $45, had it sandblasted for $50, painted it flat black with Rustoleum Bar-B-Q paint, and then put a Kerker meg on it. Looks great. I like the black head pipes with the chrome meg.

Comment

STOCK CHROME MEGAPHONE EXHAUSTS '78 GS550

Originally posted by braindead0
                    Just though, 4-1 would probably require removal of center stand... I'd hate to lose that (just love those things ;-).

Perhaps I'll try to fix up the old exhaust..

Thanks for all the help!
                    My bike is a '78 GS550 I set up with ACE or Clubman bars and Dynatech ignition. I have Bridgestone S11 rubber ( with tubes). The stock chrome mufflers look great on the outside-the baffles are rusted out on the inside. I love the sound , and it breathes so well that it pulls in 6th gear from 25 mph up to 100 mph. I did go one tooth more on the engine sprocket. And yes JB-WELD plugs up the holes and HOLDS !
                    Good luck-

Comment

Working...
                    X