Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$ into tires and suspension - worth every penny!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$ into tires and suspension - worth every penny!

This is old news but I thought I'd reiterate that money spent on good tires and suspension can make you a faster and happier rider with the same amount of power you had before. Just installed some nice air shocks from an '82 Seca Turbo 650 onto my GS450. $44 shipped from eBay. What a difference! And a perfect fit, installed in minutes. I was worried that they might be too stiff but they're perfect for my bike. 4 position rebound damping control, an air valve on one with an equalizing hose connecting them. These were the OE shocks on the Yam, from pictures on the Yam website. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/ep...rbo_small.aspx Possibly made by Showa? They are completely enclosed, with a internal coil spring and oil damping. With no air and damping set to two or three they feel just about right. I tried 15lbs. of air at first. That was a little too much preload but would work for two-up or carrying some luggage. Kept letting the air out a little at a time till there was none and decided that was what felt best. These shocks would probaby work well for any GS with eye-to-eye type shocks. Three pumps with a bicycle pump had them up to 27lbs. and only about 1 in. travel on the 400lb. GS450 with my 190 lbs. bouncing up and down on the saddle.

When I first got the bike it had stock suspension and 20 yr. old tires that were hard and weather-checked. Old school ribbed style on the front. Didn't stop me from riding it though! It was spooky on the rain-grooved freeways here in SoCal. Very unstable and twitchy. Upgraded things one at a time starting with a new front tire, an Avon AM20 90/90-18, then a rear tire, AM21 110/90-18, then Progressive brand fork springs and new fork oil, and now finally getting rid of the old Showa rear shocks which weren't too bad at first but after 6k miles were wheezing and had lost most of the damping. Each time an old part was replaced the improvement in ride quality and handling was drastic. Now the rear shocks actually work the seat almost feels comfortable. I'm no longer getting my posterior kicked by every little undulation in the road! Even with the old rear shocks still in service I could run away from my buddies on the slow twisty roads in the canyons. One rides a V-max and the other a Bonneville America. I rode the Bonnie and it is actually pretty nimble for a 600lb cruiser. It has plenty of ground clearance and can lean well. Haven't ridden the V-max. We have a favorite stretch of road going from Azusa Cyn. to Mt. Baldy village. Here's an article w/ a map:

22 miles and well over 200 corners. Most of it is 35-40mph and under with a couple of brief bursts to 60mph. I can consistently take these corners at 5-10 mph faster than my buddies, and I'm no road racer. The little GS450 is confidence inspiring. I can change lines mid-corner, brake mid-corner (within reason), and lean over till I'm almost on the edge of the tread. I've had the front end slide once or twice hitting some gravel or wet leaves but the bike has never gone down, always hooks up as soon as the tire gets back on asphalt. Having ridden dirt bikes in the past has helped a lot. Even though I was just a slow fire-roader type rider getting used to having one or both wheels slide around was invaluable experience.

It's amazing how much fun this slow little bike is on the right roads. The motor is completely stock and I suppose still makes most of its original 42hp. Bike mags testing the GS450 got results of approx. 90 mph in the 1/4 miles and 0-60mph in around 6.5 seconds. If I rev her up to 8k thru the gears by the time I shift from 3rd to 4th there's 60mph showing on the speedo. Quick enough for me! The joy for me is the ride quality and handling more than sheer power and acceleration. But, if my buddy lets me ride his V-max that joy may be ruined forever! I hope not, I do like the smaller lighter bikes. Looking for another enduro now.

Nice advice! I feel (and you and I are likely a minority on this) my bike is fast enough, the stuff you have done would be exactly improving what I want to improve. While going fast is fun I would rather stick a gnarly turn than break 120 on the freeway.

I remember dragging the pipe and pegs on my SRX250. I do not have that kind of confidence on either of our 450's (mine even less than hers).

I will keep my eyes open for those shocks you noted on Ebay. As I am running stock originals I am willing to bet most I find will be better than mine.

Comment

Originally posted by bgmart450
      I will keep my eyes open for those shocks you noted on Ebay. As I am running stock originals I am willing to bet most I find will be better than mine.
      I don't know if you will find very many of these. I think I got lucky. But, just about anything is an improvement over the OE pogo-stick Showas especially after they have a few thousand miles done and lose what little damping they had to begin with. I was looking at shocks for Norton/BSA/Triumph and also H-D Sportster. I think the Sportster shocks would be too stiff, those bikes weigh 520 lbs. at least. Shocks for a 450 lb. Bonneville would be in the ballpark but are 12.9 to 13in. eye center to eye center. A little longer than OE but would probably fit. Anything longer and the axle might hit the stock exhausts.

Comment

You have to watch watch that road ! It's fun but if you go over the side it could be weeks before you are found

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          You have to watch watch that road ! It's fun but if you go over the side it could be weeks before you are found
          ... and NO cell phone service at least from Cingular! A couple of weeks ago it had lots of rocks and gravel from the rain. When it's like that I ride at 75-80% of what I can do so there's a little extra for swerving around obstacles or hitting the brakes when that patch of wet leaves comes up. Still loads of fun, one of the best kept secrets in SoCal. If you ask me, who needs Angles Crest or Ortega Hwy when this road is around?

Comment

Old thread, but wanted to 2nd Seca Turbo 650 shocks on GS450

Originally posted by IanFrancisco
            <anip>Just installed some nice air shocks from an '82 Seca Turbo 650 onto my GS450. $44 shipped from eBay. What a difference! And a perfect fit, installed in minutes. I was worried that they might be too stiff but they're perfect for my bike. 4 position rebound damping control, an air valve on one with an equalizing hose connecting them. <snip> Now the rear shocks actually work the seat almost feels comfortable. I'm no longer getting my posterior kicked by every little undulation in the road! <snip>
            I've thanked IanFrancisco directly, but thought I should express my happiness w/this 82 Seca Turbo 650 (XJ650?) rear air shock mod for my 81 GS450L. YMMV, but this made a night & day difference vs. my stock shocks... The rear-end is both controlled & comfortable to me now (using 10psi & setting #2 on the dampening). I too got em for < $50 delivered off the bay (wasn't going to spend > $200 on new shocks). Three bushing holes in the yamas were too big (needed thin spacers) & the 4th bushing hole was too small (drilled it out)... Carefully routed the joining air hose & voila - a changed bike.

Now, if I could only get the forks working as well... Tried 10wt w/progressives & its a bit bouncing so going to something between 10wt & 15wt now w/the progressives & supplied spacers (read that straight 15wt may be too harsh).

Comment

I have a 78 GS550. What shocks will bolt right into my bike?

Comment

Does anyone know?

Comment

You could always get some replacement Progressive Suspension shocks and springs. Not as cheap, but you don't have to worry about buying worn out, shined up junk either.

Comment

I just put some Works shocks on my 8508) , they need to be serviced but still work good. Progressive springs in front & i'm going to put 20wt in my forks as I have the big Vetter farring

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                      I just put some Works shocks on my 8508) , they need to be serviced but still work good. Progressive springs in front & i'm going to put 20wt in my forks as I have the big Vetter farring
                      Just to amend my post above, as someone here suggested, my progressive front springs did wear in a bit in the 1st 1k mi & I've since moved to 20wt fork oil too. 15wt seemed better for highway (eg expansion joints), but 20wt was better in the backroads turns. Still liking the rear SECA air shocks..

Comment

Hi guys, dont know if you can get these over there . I just got a set for my 850 gz & they are great, they make them for just about anything. Try this web site. www.ikonsuspension.com previously koni I think.

Comment

Working...
                        X