progressive springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

progressive springs

probably this has been covered before, but i couldn find it.I think my front springs on my 1980 gs 100 gl are worn out, seem to bottom out easily. The bike has 35,000 miles on it and handles just find. I was thinking aobut replacing the fron fork springs which isnt too hard.I was wondering if anyone here has used the progressive or works springs and or shocks and if the difference was worth it or noticeable.Thanks for any responses given.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

I have replaced fork springs with Progressives on other bikes, but not on my Suzukis yet. Made a world of difference. Something you might try, though, before you buy the new springs...change the fork oil. The PROPER AMOUNT of the CORRECT VISCOSITY fork oil will help almost as much as new springs.

Amount? Stick with what is recommended in your service manual.

Viscosity? Personal preference here, but it is heavily influenced by your weight and riding style. Most prefer a 15w. Personally, I prefer 10w. I spend more time on leisurely or spirited rides than I do atacking curves at maximum speeds, so I go for the comfort of 10w.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi there,

I ended up changing my fork oil last year, and it did help, although my springs are still going to get replaced this year with progressives. for 90 something bucks, its the cheapest upgrade I can do on my bike, so why not?

I used 20 wt. fork oil last year, but would use 15 with newer springs.

Comment

You absolutely MUST change the fork springs in a GS to get safe, competent handling.

The difference is amazing -- the stock springs were set up for featherweight Japanese test riders and have had 20 - 25 years to sag. They are dangerous junk.

Now go order those Progressives pronto! And order up new Progressive (or IKON, or Hagon, or a few others depending on your budget) shocks for the back, too. The stock shocks are also evil junk -- crappy to start with, and not improved by years of wear and sag.

Follow the package directions as far as making a proper preload spacer, but feel free to experiment from there depending on your riding style, wieght, and preferences. I ended up with spacers about 1.5 inches longer, but I'm heavy and ride hard.

As far as fork oil, I usually start out with 15W and add a bit of "motor honey" to make it a bit thicker -- about 5% to 10% motor honey. Motor honey is a thick motor oil additive intended to quiet worn-out car engines ling enough to sell off. Don't get it near your motorcycle engine (additives will screw up the clutch), but it works great for fine-tuning fork oil.

After you drain the forks, it's important to run some solvent through to flush out the icky bug parts and wear particles that accumulate in there. After that, let them air out thoroughly before adding fork oil.

When you add fork oil, ignore the spec in your manual for the amount of fork oil. It will be totally wrong because the new springs are thicker and thus a bit less oil is needed. You must set the fork oil LEVEL as specified in the manual. It's pretty easy to rig up a piece of tubing, a few cable ties, and a suction pump or large syringe to create a tool for slurping oil out of forks to precisely the correct distance from the top of the fork tube.

Someone will be along shortly to assert that they "take it easy" and they are happy with the stock shocks and fork. This is bunk -- even if you're more of a cruiser than a roadburner, you have far better odds of staying alive on a machine that can handle emergency maneuvers. The fork is especially important to hard braking -- I don't care how slow you ride, you have to be able to stop hard when that dog/kid/dumptruck driver/geezer in an RV looks at you, smiles, waves, and then enters your path as if you aren't there.

When the choice is a hard stop or killing someone's child (yourself included), would you rather have a fork that bottoms out immediately, then skips and skids out of control? Or would you rather have a fork that can still do its job of keeping the tire in contact with the road under hard braking?

If you're worried that the ride will become harsh, please understand that if preload and sag are set correctly, the fork will be a lot more comfortable because it won't bottom and it can use more of its travel to absorb bumps. If you prefer an easier ride, you can try a lighter weight fork oil which will give you less damping but won't affect braking.

If you don't have the budget to do the whole enchilada at once, upgrade the forks now and get the shocks a little later. The forks are more important because of their effect on braking, and the springs and oil are cheaper than a good set of shocks.

Also, take a close look at your bike before ordering parts -- sometimes good fork springs have already been installed by a previous owner, so all you need to do flush them out, then fine-tune fork oil and preload spacers to suit you.

There are several places selling Emgo shocks for about $80, but you get what you pay for. They are serviceable, meaning they keep the fender off the rear wheel a little better than the worn out stockers, but that's about it. Most people, including me, are very happy with Progressive shocks for about $150-$200 a set.

Progressives are an excellent value and very good shocks, but there are several other good brands of shocks available for more money that give you other advantages, such as being rebuildable, more adjustable, lighter, etc.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I run progressives in my 1100e for a few years. no more air --seems a bit more stable. I also removed the anti dive unit.

Comment

I was very lucky Bought a set of progressive fork springs last year
            on ebay $20 + $15 shipping. Made a big difference

Comment

I agree with bwinger.

I've been running progressive brand shocks and spring for years.
              best bang for your bucks $$$.

I also run 20 weight oil in both bikes, no air in the forks.

On the 1000S I ordered the "sprcial" heavier springs.
              They're in the catalog, you have to look, or call and ask for them.
              The 1100E has the heavy springs, the 1000S has the heaviest springs on the rear shocks. It is a stiffer ride, the 1100E isn't plush but is comfortable.
              It will make a world of difference.
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Progessives- yummy!

Love em. I run 15 wt. fork oil and 10 lbs of air. But I'm a fat bastard and I ride way harder and faster than anyone else on here...

:P
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                  Progessives- yummy!

Love em. I run 15 wt. fork oil and 10 lbs of air. But I'm a fat bastard and I ride way harder and faster than anyone else on here...

:P
                  that's funny

I remember getting by you, when I was 2 up.......oh yea, you were leading down that dirt road 8O

I don't run any air in the forks with 20weight.
                  Works for me, but we all have different riding styles.

If you can try different weight oils in the fork legs.
                  And I'm sure someone will chime in about the use air, don't use air issues.
                  Keith
                  -------------------------------------------
                  1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                  2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I don't use air in my forks because a hunk of pipe (preload spacer) is a much more reliable way to set preload than air retained by the highly fallible fork seals. You also put less stress and wear on the seals by not using air pressure -- the seals last longer and there's less stiction.

The consequences of a sudden loss of pressure could be dire -- imagine being in a fast corner and all of a sudden your front end drops by two inches... ew.

It's also important to note that even at atmosperic pressure at rest, the air trapped in the forks plays an important role when the forks compress. It acts as an additional spring.

I remember reading a while back about a Hardley touring model that had lines running from the air space in the forks to the inside of the handlebars. When you were just cruising to the next tavern, the larger air space would give you a smoother ride so your ol' lady wouldn't spill her beer. The air space acted as a big, soft spring.

When you hit the brakes to slow down for the weenie bite contest, a solenoid valve cut off the connection so that the smaller air space in the forks alone would act as a crude anti-dive. Wouldn't want to slop suds all over your leather buttless chaps, ya know. I have no idea how well it actually worked.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Anyone found a supplier with particularly good prices on progressive springs?

Earl
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I can't remember where I bought mine but I looked through my favorites and found this site for progressive springs.

Looks like the 11-1107 for the 1100e is 49.95. Seems pretty cheap. I thought i paid more like 90 dollars.
                        1982 GS1000S Katana
                        1982 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by pano
                          I can't remember where I bought mine but I looked through my favorites and found this site for progressive springs.

Looks like the 11-1107 for the 1100e is 49.95. Seems pretty cheap. I thought i paid more like 90 dollars.
                          That's where I bought mine progressive fork springs from 8) 8)
                          Put them on my 83GS1100e with 20 weight oil and no air
                          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                          2000 Kawasaki Concours
                          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Wasnt it Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse that everyone has been complaining about their order never coming, getting charged and unable to settle claims, get their money returned or the order sent?

Earl

Originally posted by crag antler

All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                              Wasnt it Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse that everyone has been complaining about their order never coming, getting charged and unable to settle claims, get their money returned or the order sent?

Earl

Originally posted by crag antler

If it was, it wasn't on the day I got my springs from them. :? :? :?
                              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                              2000 Kawasaki Concours
                              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Working...
                              X