No announcement yet.

Jetting my 78 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup. Intake leaks will cause it too. But your description made it sound worse, like a sticking throttle or similar.
    Hopefully just your manifold o-rings need replacing. Get the genuine Suzuki type, not some off-brand. They're cheap enough.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

i put new Orings in when i rebuilt the carbs.. got em from robert barr....

but the rest of it is pretty stiff.. im already ordered them.. Ill be sure to let you know if it fixes it for sure..

thanks again keith. your the man!!!

Comment

ok....

i have new Orings, and new carb boots... so i dont think an air leak is my problem..

the rpm still hangs... when you rev it up.. the higher you rev it the longer it takes it to come back down.. i have not synched the carbs yet. could this be it? could it be the mechanical timing advance unit thing maybe hanging up or having some resistance in it and causing the problem???

she runs great at around 2 grand, if i take it down to 1500 she starts to want to die.... i need to get the carbs synched good and get it at a good idle and see if the hanging rpm problem still exists..

any ideas keith?

thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS750 View Post
          ok....

i have new Orings, and new carb boots... so i dont think an air leak is my problem..

the rpm still hangs... when you rev it up.. the higher you rev it the longer it takes it to come back down.. i have not synched the carbs yet. could this be it? could it be the mechanical timing advance unit thing maybe hanging up or having some resistance in it and causing the problem???

she runs great at around 2 grand, if i take it down to 1500 she starts to want to die.... i need to get the carbs synched good and get it at a good idle and see if the hanging rpm problem still exists..

any ideas keith?

thanks again.
          I havent read ALL of this, but i saw you soaked the bowls. Did you soak all the jets and stuff when you cleaned the carbs too? If not its likely you still have some crap in your pilot circuit causing your hanging idle. If youve got no binding in the slides or stuck throttle, no air leaks in the boots (did you check the airbox boots too??) and your float levels are set right, and float valves are not sticking, and petcock is functioning, then Id go back to making sure the carbs are completely clean....completely...

Comment

If there's no intake leaks, only ideas I'd have would be to check throttle cable routing and operation/play, checking slide operation when you bench synch, and checking the advancer. That's the only other things that could cause the problem.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I pulled the carbs apart, and dipped all parts except the carb bodies themsleves.. and the floats. I pulled all the jets and screws and dipped them, and put in new 0 rings.

new intake boots. new pod filters. verified float heights.

throttle cable is working right. the slides all come back down quickly with a loud clack! when they seat.

ill have to pull my cover and see if my advancer plate is sticking up some how...

whats the best way to lube it? wd-40 or something?

thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS750 View Post
                I pulled the carbs apart, and dipped all parts except the carb bodies themsleves.. and the floats. I pulled all the jets and screws and dipped them, and put in new 0 rings.

new intake boots. new pod filters. verified float heights.

throttle cable is working right. the slides all come back down quickly with a loud clack! when they seat.

ill have to pull my cover and see if my advancer plate is sticking up some how...

whats the best way to lube it? wd-40 or something?

thanks guys
                Why didn't you dip the carb bodies?
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

when i tore them apart they really werent dirty inside...

and i noticed that the fuel T's that connect the carb bodies do not utilize 0 rings... so i didnt want to seperate them if i did not have to.

after blowing a ton of air through all the passages I know theres no way they are gummed up...

Comment

KEITH!!!!!

she runs great!!! i got her synched up and she runs like no other... purrs nice and smooth for me. i put about 50 miles on it today and im very happy...

synching the carbs fixed the hanging idle problem..

i will do a dyna ignition sooner or later.. other than that shes done!

Comment

Glad to hear it! She'll run even better if you do a proper synch with a vacuum tool. Enjoy the bike.

Comment

i ended up using a pair of vacuum gauges and all the carbs are set at pulling pretty much exactly 10 hg

Comment

heres a finished pic!

Comment

Looks good man! Something tells me you like black and red.

Comment

yea, its a good combo!

Comment

Working...
                              X