Another fuel problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another fuel problem

I recently bought a 1983 Suzuki GS850L for $1000. It ran great for a week.
    The guy I bought it from said he had the engine gone through in 2001, It has new gaskets all around. He had the engine checked out so he could drive it to Sturgis in 2001. He had it stored in a temperature controlled storage unit since 2002. When I bought it it ran nice and smooth. A week later I came out to my garage to find a small 6 inch puddle of fuel. That's when I noticed there was fuel in the airbox, fuel in my oil crankcase, my spark plugs are always black. I pulled the tank off and checked the petcock and it seems like it is leaking, I tried the tip & tricks section and filed down the fuel petcock lever so it could go staight up and shut the fuel off but that didn't work either. So right now I am planning on buying new plugs, Drained the oil and change the oil filter, buying a new petcock assembly and replacing the needles and needle valves. Is there anything else I am missing? Am I on the right track? This is the first bike I have owned and worked on. Please help!

You are on it man. Most likely a bad petcock. Might as well replace the fuel line as you are in there. Will you get a Suzuki or Pingel petcock? I'd buy the Pingel and lose the vaccum shut off, but you need to remember to turn it off every time you stop. The Pingel will outlive you.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I'm getting a Suzuki vacuum petcock, OEM. I was told it was running rich How do I adjust the Air fuel mixture. There are flat blade screws on the carb toward the engine that my friend and I tried to adjust but I probably messed them all up. How do I adjust them? Should I use synthetic oil? Do I need to rebuild all the carbs or can I just replace the needle valves and needles?

Comment

Air screws should be 1 and 3/4 turns out as an initial setting. When you change your needle valves MAKE SURE your float adjustments are correct. Proper float adjustment is very important on your model. Ask if you need help with that. If I was in that far into the carbs I would do a total rebuild with o-rings etc. if the bike was new to me, but since the bike seemed to be running well before, its your call. Other than that, sounds like you're O.K. first things first, get that petcock fixed.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2006, 12:53 PM.

Comment

I am on a tight budget but still want to fix my bike, I found a universal petcock and adapter, how do I pick an adaptor and how would I hook up the fuel line?

Comment

Zombie thanks for asking this question...mark's answer answered a question that I was having an issue with! Another reason the GS forum rules!

Comment

Zombie's fuel problem

How do I adjust the float levels? Would the be causing it to run too rich? Would it be OK to go with a universal petcock or should I just go with a Suzuki OEM? I found one at

for $59.95 and I found a universal one at

but i'm not sure if it will fit. Any help on this will be much appreciated.
              I live up in North Dakota and I would like to get it running for our short season. Thanks!!

Comment

I too would love to know how the universal petcocks worked out for anyone.

Comment

Working...
                X